Bookmark and Share
Guest Blogger Piescik
Guest Blogger Piescik
06/11/2010, 25 miles off Cape Hatteras

It has been long trip, but we are in the rhythm now. We have caught three Dorado (Update: final score was 4) and eaten one, we are starting on eating the second now. We have also landed 4 or five Barracuda and hooked but failed to land two unknown. Troy is a good cook, and is seasoning a few pieces of fillet as I type. He is going to cook brownies next.

When we first left the Bahamas (Sunday night), there was a LOT of lightning and thunderstorm activity. It had me pretty un-nerved, as I have no experience with it and I don't want any. It was good for me to have two sailors on board that have been in the middle of a lot of thunderstorms. At one point I was sailing right toward an anvil shaped thunder head with lots of straight vertical strikes under it. I had permission from Capt. Alan to "run away", which I bravely did. All of us came up on deck, and decided to do one big circle for about an hour, first running away, then running to avoid its path. You may have seen this on the track from our transponders. It worked, and we were able to motor between two of the more spectacular thunderheads. The rain was so heavy it looked like land masses on the radar.

Today the skies are clear and sunny, wind is light and from our destination, but should clock around in a few hours, making progress easier. We are sailing at a reasonable but slow pace, and we are listening to Madeline Perioux (sp), singing that "its all right".

It is nice that Alan has a watermaker. This allows us sponge baths and washing hair without being overly concerned about rationing.

The crew is recovering from some fairly active seas last night, which combined with sails slatting from dead downwind sailing and a cross-track swell made sleeping very difficult. I was well rested and was able to let Troy sleep a little extra, repaying a courtesy he extended me earlier.

Captain Alan seems to be feeling frisky; he just now asked me if I swing. The good news is that he and Becky are taking swing dancing lessons and he was practicing in the cockpit. The sail has not been THAT long. We have not spent too much time and mental effort on infantile double entendre, but we were apt to interpret Alan's comments differently since he announced "that he had lunchmeat coming out of his butt". Both Troy and I selected other options from the menu.

It looks like we will arrive sometime tomorrow morning to mid-day depending on how much we run the motor, and how soon the wind clocks.

Important Update - A well equiped tool box
06/11/2010, 25 miles off Cape Hatteras

For months now I have been professing the need for spares. Not only for your primary devices but also for your backup devices as well. Not only do you need a Plan A for your primary device but you need a Plan A for your backup devices also. When your primary device fails, breaks, gets lost, falls overboard or you just plain forget how to use it, You need a plan to fix, repair, find,retrieve or read instructions for that device. The same holds true for your backup device because that now becomes your primary device. So now you need to be able to recover from the loss of use of that device as well. Get it?? So after 9 months and close to 5000 miles, I have found out where my failings are (and trust me there are many). The one that sticks out this morning is the failure of the can opener. I can't even begin to tell you how fustrating it is to be offshore in 20+ knots of wind, seas running to 10 + feet and you can hardly stand in one spot, to not be able to open a #*&^%G can of beans. So let that be a lesson to all who go out to sea....... Must be something in the tool box I can use.......... a

06/11/2010 | Cat Tales
Good luck you three! I will need to know what type of lure you bought...sounds like you're eating well. Sail safely. DAwn
One the way to Norfolk
06/11/2010, 45 miles off Cape Hatteras

It' been a busy week. We've been motoring for the 6 hours but we sailed a good hard 30 hours before that. With wind of 20 to 22 knots behind us it's been rock and rolly making good speed in the GS. At some times we were doing in excess of 10,5 knots over the ground. That's moving right along. We have dodged a number of thunder storms along the way. Always interesting out here thats for sure. We have about 170 miles to go before Norfolk and one more weather system to go through. We're now trying to make enough Easting so that when the wind goes right (NE) we can go left (NW). We've been though the middle of a British navy war game. Been shadowed by a nuke submarine of unknown nationality (they wouldn't not answer the radio). Had a helicopter hover over us for a while. We've caught 3 big Dolphins (fish not mammal) and 3 barracuda. The freezer is full and we're getting tired of cleaning the fish guts out of the cockpit so we're now gutting them on the side deck. While I was home I had a 10 .00 certificate for West marine, so I bought a new lure . This one has caught a lot of fish so far. We should be in Norfolk sometime on Saturday. Hope is well at home on Sodus Bay and you all are getting some sailing in. alan

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Powered by SailBlogs