SailBlogs
Bookmark and Share
unabated
Beaufort MM 205
11/07/2011, Beaufort, NC

Finally made it to Beaufort. I anchored in Town Creek and went ashore to tour the town. I am sure that during the "Season" it's a happening place. But it's November, cold and cloudy and it was Sunday after all. Kinda quiet. Was not as impressed as I thought I was going to be.
Today is another.... another travel day. To Mile Hammock Bay. It's next to or in the middle Camp Lejeune. Complete with live fire exercises. They have warnings and observation outposts along the ICW to warn and stop boats from entering at those times. Of course you can't go ashore.
I'll let you know

Leaving Oriental
11/06/2011, Oriental, NC

After spending 2 nights anchored here with winds winds sometimes gusting to over 34 knots..... it's time to leave. The winds have abated somewhat, the rain has stopped and there is a blue sky.... but still damn cold.
The plan is to head down Adams Creek to Beaufort today about a 20 mile run. Two more stops along the way before the outside passage to Charleston. Should be there by Thursday.
Oriental is a nice place, although it gets flooded easy when the wind blows the water onshore. Could not go for coffee at The Bean yesterday morning because the street along the harbor was underwater. Over 3000 sailboats live here, so it's really a sailing town and really caters to the South and North bound train of people every fall and spring.

Time to see if the anchor which has held me for the last few days will free itself this morning.

Oriental MM 182
11/04/2011, Oriental, NC

I finally got the battery issue sorted out. Turned out to be a bad cell in one the four batteries that make up my house bank. After equalizing the batteries overnight (10 hours), we retested all the batteries (load test) and they were all OK. The voltage regulators (main and spare) now seem to work properly. The bad cell screws up the whole system.
So I moved over to the anchorage in Oriental, Beaver Creek yesterday afternoon. Deatons was nice, but a long walk into town, plus I didn't think I wanted to spend 3 more nights there at $$$$ a night.
The plan was to go to Beaufort today but it's raining and the forecast for later today and tonight into tomorrow is for NE winds 20-25 with gusts into 35+. So I guess I'll stay here until at least Sunday. The anchorage is kind of protected and I have this big ass anchor out with lots of chain. I am dug in pretty good... We'll see.


Newer ]  |  [ Older ]

 

 
Powered by SailBlogs