Bookmark and Share
Coolie Mays Takeout
12/10/2011, Great Harbour Cay

Dinner last night at Coolie Mays Takeout. Went over late in the afternoon and put our order in for dinner. Took a dinghy ride around the harbor and then returned for our Conch Fritters and the first Kalik of the trip. Todays plan is to sail around the northern end of the Berry Islands and head south to Cabbage Cay. It is about a 30 mile trip and should be able to sail most of it E-NE wind 10-15 kts.

The Crossing
12/09/2011, Great Harbor Cay Marina

It took me a day to get my brain in working order again. I did not sleep very well the night before I left and there was no sleep on the 20 hour crossing. Couple that with only a few hours of sleep on Thursday because of moving the boat to get cleared in for customs, and I felt like I hadn't slept in 3 days.
The trip was uneventful with not enough wind to sail. Once I got on to the Banks the water was like glass. The depth is anywhere from 8 to 20 feet and you see the bottom as you motor across it.

I spent the day cleaning up the boat from the trip, doing some laundry and meeting some of the other boats that also crossed on Wednesday. The people who did not cross with that small weather window will most likely be stuck in Florida until the middle next week.
I'll be leaving the marina today and anchoring outside the harbor to explore the island a little more before moving on to Little Harbor Cay for a days. Then on to New Providence and Nassau.

Florida Straights
12/07/2011, West of Bimini

The parade started at 2 am. Boats, one after the other left No Name Harbor in Key Biscayne, to start crossing the "stream" A flurry of radio activity the night before. Everyone trying to make sure they have the latest weather reports from St. Chris. (Chris Parker) to decide whether to cross today or not. We decided to skip Bimini and sail straight through to Great Harbor in the Berry Islands. There is supposed to be a front coming though tomorrow morning with North winds of 20-25 kts. The anchorage in Bimini is poor and we didn't want to end up in the marina waiting for the weather to change. So, with that in mind we left at 5am. We will cross the banks at North Rock this afternoon and evening. We expect to be there around 4 in the morning. We, as in UNABATED, Charisma and 2 or 3 other boats.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Powered by SailBlogs