Sometimes it's not the weather here, it's the weather where your going.
Waiting for a window to leave Fort Pierce and not run into gale force winds up north. Forecast for Thursday and Friday off the Carolina is holding us here a day longer than we planned.
So boat chores have been the order of the day. Everything from replacing the staring battery to putting a 3rd coat of Cetol on. Dinghy is on deck and the winter underwear is out and ready for installation.
Paul and Lola from Ottawa will be my crew for this passage. Hopefully we can get to NYC by the first week in May.... if the weather cooperates.
Plan is to leave mid morning on Wednesday.... some time after the tide is high enough to get out of the mud in my slip..... and head to Charleston or Beaufort or Norfolk.... we'll see
Back in the US
Left Great Sale Cat at 0900 hrs. Did the late start so that I would arrive in Ft Pierce at the end of flood tide.
Motored across the banks to the Little Bahamas Bank way point. Got into the Gulf Stream around sunset. The current in the stream in middle was running at around 6 knots. The boat was crabing at around 30 degrees to make the rhumb line. I was able to sail the last 60 miles. Actually had to slow the boat down quite a bit so as to not arrive too early. There was a lot of ship traffic until sometime after midnight. They all altered course to avoid us (there were 2 other sailboats close by)
Great night sail...
Arrived in Fort Pierce still a little early and drifted down to the entrance until sunrise.
Did the customs thing while I anchored off the ICW. Moved UNABATED into the Harbortown Marina where I'll be until at least Tuesday while I do laundry, boat maintenence and provision for the trip to NYC.
This is the first time I have been at a dock, tied up, had electric or running water since last October. Feels nice but strange.....
Last day in the Bahamas