Unchained

19 May 2010 | Indiantown, FL
17 May 2010 | Bahamas
02 May 2010 | Georgetown, Exuma
22 April 2010 | Elizabeth Harbor, Great Exuma
22 April 2010 | Georgetown, Exuma
08 April 2010 | Ocean World Marina, Puerto Plata
05 April 2010 | Ocean World Marina, Puerto Plata
02 April 2010 | Ocean World Marina, Puerto Plata
26 March 2010 | Ocean World Marina, Puerto Plata
19 March 2010 | Boqueron, PR
14 March 2010 | Ponce,P.R.
06 March 2010 | British Virgin Islands
06 March 2010 | British Virgin Islands
14 February 2010 | At sea
14 February 2010 | Nevis
05 February 2010 | Jolly Harbor, Antigua
27 January 2010 | Portsmouth, Dominica
22 January 2010 | Portsmouth, Dominica
08 January 2010 | Rodney Bay, St. Lucia
08 January 2010 | St. Lucia

Nevis,Saba,USVI

14 February 2010 | At sea
Bill
We left Nevis and sailed the short passage to Basseterre, St. Kitts to clear out with C&I. We headed out to Saba about 1130 and arrived off Saba at 1715. Saba is just a large rock island with virtually no beaches. There are eight mooring balls on the west side and there were seven boats on them when we went to bed. Snow Shoo woke us up at 0530 (by VHF) and we decided to leave at 0600 instead of waiting until mid afternoon. North swells from ten feet to fourteen feet were predicted and for later Friday night and we hoped to get in the lee of the Virgin Islands before they arrived. This was the last we would see of the Leeward Islands and the last place to spend Eastern Caribbean dollars. The passage took fourteen hours and the first ten or so were so calm the water looked like sapphire colored Bailey's Irish Cream. Sailors call it "oily". There weren't even tiny ripples on the surface. We motored all the way. Moths would flutter by every once in a while and Sue would try to catch them so they could rest. About twenty miles out of the Virgins the wind built to about ten knots and clocked around to slightly East of North. That helped by about one half a knot in speed. We knew we would arrive after dark but Snow Shoo had spent much time in Lameshure Bay and said he could do it blindfolded. We followed him in but found all the mooring balls were taken. Anchoring is frowned on in the St. John's Park. We had just made a fourteen hour passage and it was eight at night so we anchored in the entrance to the bay. Rule #1 for sailors is "put no vessel in harms way" meaning that to force us to leave with all of us tired and already being night would be dangerous. We didn't get evicted. Saturday we went to Cruz Bay to clear in and then to Redhook Bay, St. Thomas for fuel and as it turned out a night in a marina. Moving around the Virgins Saturday I had flashbacks of driving in Atlanta at 8 o'clock in the morning. All the bays were crowded and the channels were filled with boats of all kinds. We dodged between sailboats, sportfishing boats (that were trolling lines), ferrys and "go fast" boats. OH, for the quiet of the Eastern Caribbean !! We are getting our "Local Boater Option" numbers here. That allows U.S. citizens upon returning to U.S. waters to call an 800 number to clear in instead of visiting a Customs/Immigration location in person. We wanted to be here early for that reason and to be sure we were here when our daughter and her husband come down the first week of March. Two years ago they had to cancel a visit because we were stuck several islands away with bad weather. That does mean, however, that we will be here in "Atlanta" for almost a month. We celebrated Valentines Day Saturday night at a nice Italian restaurant. The picture with this update will be one of two that I took on the passage. One is a beautiful sunrise over Saba and the other is of Sue watching dolphins playing on the pressure wave our boat puts out. I just decided, with help, to use the one of Sue and the dolphin but you will probably see the "Sunrise over Saba" picture in the future.

Comments
Vessel Name: Unchained
Vessel Make/Model: 38' Beneteau
Hailing Port: Knoxville, TN
Crew: Bill & Sue Shafer
About:
We have been sailing about ten years (lots of schools and bare boat charters in those years). Sue grew up in Midland, TX and Bill in Knoxville, TN where we have a home. We are members of Concord Yacht Club in Knoxville (Great people & very supportive). [...]
Extra: Unchained is a 1991 Beneteau Moorings 38 which was designed as a charter boat. We had to make many modifications to make her a reasonable long distance cruiser. She is light and small but very capable.