The Saga of Ursa Minor

03 March 2010 | Wellington, NZ
14 February 2010 | Fiordland National Park
24 January 2010 | Whakapapa, Tongariro World Heritage Area
18 January 2010 | Coromandel Town, NZ
05 January 2010 | Cape Reinga, NZ
30 December 2009
25 December 2009
24 December 2009 | Mangawhai Heads Campsite, NZ
19 December 2009 | Auckland, New Zealand
09 December 2009 | Vuda Point Marina, Fiji
29 November 2009 | Robinson Crusoe Resort, Fiji
28 November 2009
14 November 2009 | Suva
06 November 2009 | Dere Bay, Koro
01 November 2009 | Viani Bay, Vanua Levu
30 October 2009 | Fawn Harbor, Vanua Levu
15 October 2009 | Palmlea Lodge, Vanua Levu
14 October 2009 | Savusavu, Vanua Levu
08 October 2009 | Savusavu, Vanua Levu
04 October 2009 | Nananu-i-Ra

Panama City on the Pacific side of Canal

08 May 2007

After transiting the canal in early April, we spent almost two weeks on the Panama City side
in the La Plaita anchorage, fixing things, provisioning, touring and generally enjoying life. We had the pleasure of Sharon and Joyce still aboard for the first three days, and while Bryan stayed aboard fixing the head, the ladies went exploring the causeway along side the anchorage, and the old part of Panama City. We took the bus into the city for $.25 each, then walked for several hours - first along a several-block-long pedestrian shopping area with lots of inexpensive shops and fast food outlets, then through the beautiful old part of the city where saw the President's Palace, the French Embassy, and several other classically beautiful buildings interspersed with graceful facades of gutted buildings. Shortly into our walk we were befriended by Conrad, an elderly gentleman who was born in the Canal Zone, and thus has dual citizenship and refers to himself as a Zonian. He lamented the Americans leaving, having worked for them for many years, and said that there were fewer opportunities for Panamanians now. He showed us all through the area, pointing out the best shops for various items, as well as the historic sites. One highlight of the afternoon was the porch of the President's Palace, upon which pranced three pet herons, two blue and one white.

Bryan was kept busy for several days dealing with the plumbing, replacing our wind instrument which had failed en route to Panama, replacing the voltage regulator, changing out alternators, and otherwise keeping the boat running. He did finally find time for some fun, including a birthday party for Ian one night aboard Gannet, a night of dinner and fabulous magic show at a restaurant which we attended with the crew of Gannet, and a taxi tour to the Miraflores Locks to watch large ships going through and to walk through the fascinating and informative Canal museum above the lock. We also visited the French Embassy 3 times to get our visas for French Polynesia.

We both finally got our teeth cleaned, at a very pleasant and competent dental clinic in Balboa, and Judy got a haircut - both cleanings and haircut were very reasonably priced compared to the states.

The anchorage lay alongside the outer approach to the Canal, along a causeway which connects Flamenco Island with the mainland of Panama and affords some protection to ships approaching the Canal. The several mile long causeway is quite delightful, with benches all along for folks to watch the canal traffic, rental bikes (including huge trikes which carried up to 6 or more people), skate boarders, runners, and lots of folks out for a leisurely stroll. Town was a $2-3 taxi ride away.

We were amazed at the tidal range here, up to 20 feet, and more than either of us had seen in many years. The Caribbean side has a much smaller tidal range, that barely requires consideration, but now we had to seriously take it into account when anchoring or going ashore. The cruising guides advise anchoring in several anchorages only near low-tide so you can see all the rocks that would otherwise be quite invisible at high tide. Next to the anchorage was a breakwater enclosing a small harbor with several moorings, and a floating dinghy dock on pilings, atop which sat a nice marine store called Abernethy's, complete with cyber caf�, and a small bar. Next door was a delightful marine exhibit run by the Smithsonian, which seems to be quite active in this area. There were sloths hanging around up in the trees, and raccoons running around on roofs. Just up the road were several restaurants and shops, many quite upscale, and a new marina called Flamenco. We took the boat over there one day to top up fuel and water, and were not impressed by its management and organization, and were glad we had not stayed there. It was very expensive, poorly run, and we understand fairly rolly and uncomfortable for the boats staying there. Its one saving grace was a restaurant which offered two pizzas for the price of one on Monday nights - a real bargain. Our other favorite eating treat was the ceviche (fish and seafood "cooked" in lime juice) at the restaurant just up from the anchorage.

Finally on Thursday, April 19th we set sail for the Las Perlas islands, the better part of a day's sail away.


Comments
Vessel Name: Ursa Minor
Vessel Make/Model: Saga 43
Hailing Port: St. Thomas, Virgin Islands
Crew: Captains Bryan Lane (callsign NP2NH) and Judy Knape
About:
Bryan and Judy met while working charter in the Virgin Islands. Judy had been chartering for many years, both as captain and chef, and had also served a stint as Executive Director of the Virgin Islands Charteryacht League. [...]
Extra: Now in the western Pacific for over two years with no immediate plans to leave!

Ursa Minor's Crew

Who: Captains Bryan Lane (callsign NP2NH) and Judy Knape
Port: St. Thomas, Virgin Islands