valhalla

27 August 2010 | Marina Real, San Carlos, Son. Mex.
05 October 2009 | Singlar Marina, Santa Rosalia
25 August 2009 | Santa Rosalie
20 August 2009 | Marina Singular Santa Rosalia BCS
11 August 2009 | Loreto, BCS, MX
05 August 2009 | La Paz BCS Mexico
04 July 2009 | Costa Baja, La Paz, BCS MX
18 April 2009 | La Paz, Mexico
13 March 2009 | Marina Costa Baja, La Paz
01 March 2009 | San Carlos, Son. Mex.
04 February 2009 | Sea of Cortez
24 January 2009 | Capitain's Club, San Carlos
13 January 2009 | San Carlos, Mexico
15 December 2008 | N. Lynnwood
10 April 2008 | Bahia Conception
01 April 2008 | Isla San Francisco
20 March 2008 | Seattle, Wa.

Journey to La Paz

13 March 2009 | Marina Costa Baja, La Paz
Murray & Cindy
We made the crossing from San Carlos to San Juanico easily. We motored most of the way as there wasn't much wind. We left at midnight so we were navigating with the stars, unfortunately there was no moon. We ended up with a stow-a-way! A cricket that had been hanging around for a few days before we left decided to go with us. It was kind of nice hearing him for a while in the evening. Our first day in San Juanico was a work day. We had a few projects we wanted to do and naturally everything takes three times as long on a boat. But to celebrate our crossing, we opened up a treasured bottle of wine from San Luis Obispo and bbq'd a steak. We stayed an extra day in San Juanico so we could snorkel and relax. Murray dove for some Chocolate Clams. They are larger than a butter clam and the best part is you don't need to purge them. The following day we went to Honeymoon Cove on Isla Danzante. It wasn't much of a honeymoon. The anchorage was fairly tight so we put out a stern line. At least there wasn't any wind so we didn't swing around at all. About an hour after anchoring the bees showed up. The cockpit looked like it was being attacked - so below we went. Also, there was a power boat that came in and came right next to us and then left. We felt a little suspicious about it so slept with one ear and eye open. The following morning the bees were still hanging around and Murray was in such a big hurray to make coffee he went outside with no pants on to change the propane tank over. The bees were buzzing around a full moon! Our next stop was Puerto Los Gatos. This was the first time we have been in this anchorage. It is gorgeous with its red rock formations and nice beach. We stayed an extra day and played. We got the hooka rig out and went snorkeling. That was my first time using it. It was pretty cool getting to float around looking at all the fishes and not having to worry about how much air I needed to suck in. I'm not very brave when it comes to being in the water so between the wet suit keeping me afloat and the air being pumped in it wasn't too bad. Our next stop was to Isla San Francisco. This is one of our favorite places. We were in the process of bbq'ing some steaks when a pod of dolphins came in to feast on some bait fish that had been hanging around. That was pretty cool to watch but Murray almost burnt our steaks! We stayed a day to play on the beach and go snorkeling. There was a bunch of beautiful fish around the rocky reefs at the entrance to the bay. A group of kayakers showed up and camped on the beach. They had put in at Loreto and were headed for La Paz - that is approximately 125nm! It was actually going to be longer because they had paddled out to a few islands along the way. They stopped by looking for water - so we filled up all there bottles for them. We had to run the engine for a bit to make some water for them. We woke up the following morning to "RAIN"!! We couldn't believe it! So, with a cup of coffee under our belts we braved the rain and headed out. As far as sea life goes, the trip from Isla San Francisco to La Paz was the best. We saw a huge mantaray jump, a huge pod of dolphins and some pilot whales! We got videos of the dolphins and the pilot whales, so I hope everyone will be able to view them. If not, let me know and I will email them to you. Our trip was way to quick. The plan was to get into La Paz with enough time to fly back to San Carlos - grab our Jeep and then take the ferry from Topolobumpo (approx 200 miles south of San Carlos) to La Paz before March 20. We have some friends showing up on March 24. That's it for now. We will post an update of our play time with some friends showing up for the next three weeks.
Comments
Vessel Name: VALHALLA
Vessel Make/Model: 38' Northwest Sloop
Hailing Port: Seattle, Wa.
Crew: Murray and Cindy Omundson
About: Murray 62 retired Carpenter Cindy 46 Project Engineer

Living the Dream

Who: Murray and Cindy Omundson
Port: Seattle, Wa.