Sailing in my Sarong Around the World

World circumnavigation on yacht Valiam & Caribbean to Turkey on yacht Lati

The Adventures of Linda and Captain Underpants!

Who: Linda and Bill Anderson. To buy our books 'Sailing in my Sarong' or 'Salvage in my Sarong' for $39.95 +postage, see Paypal/visa button below (or email us: valiam1@hotmail.com)
Port: Mooloolaba, Queensland, Australia

Current Position - click on positions for log entr

Linda's books "Sailing in my Sarong" or "Salvage in my Sarong" are A$39.95 each + A$10 postage in Australia for up to 4 books. Other countries please email Linda : valiam1@hotmail.com
Number of copies of each book you would like
Salvage in my Sarong

Malapascua Is Philippines

17 March 2008
Monday 17th March 2008
En route Malapascua to Gigante Islands
Philippines

Malapascua (pronounced Malapasqua) is everything a yachtie or beach bum looks for. It has that idyllic island feel - no cars, friendly locals, small intimate beach bars and restaurants where you sit with your feet in the sand watching the bangkas (local fishing boats) and canoes in clear aquamarine waters. Small brown sometimes naked children frolic in the white sand splashing and laughing. A shy smiling waitress brings you a cold beer for 50 pesos (A$1) and the best Italian food outside Italy for $5.

As we were drawn into the relaxed ambience of the island we began talking to a local Italian who recommended diving to see the thresher sharks. We went to the dive centre behind the Italian restaurant and booked a dive for the following morning. As we had to be ready by 5.30am we asked if they could pick us up from our boat anchored in the bay on the other side of the island. 'No problem'says the Swiss French speaking dive instructor. Normally to go to and fro from our boat into the little town we hitch ride on a motor bike along the path for 20pesos (50c).

We had trouble with our phone alarms and I calculated mine incorrectly form Aussie time with it going off at 1am! Anyway we got up at 5am had our coffee fix watching the sunrise and waited for the boat. The dive people use big bangkas and this particular bangka driver executed a perfect stop coming alongside Valiam without its long white trimaran tentacles touching her hull.

When we got to the dive spot for the thresher sharks out at sea there were already at least 6 diving boats out there. When Linda finally managed to get all the gear on and fall backwards in the water (sore back again) she had difficulty getting down. Wearing a full wetsuit (not short ones), not enough weights and a fully inflated BCD made it very slow work trying to get down. The dive master who did 't want the responsibility looking after me suggested I try another day with less people. Feeling rejected I clambered back on board. However a very nice German woman who had come along for the ride befriended me and made me feel better. Bill and the other divers emerged from the sea and reported that there were no sharks down there. C'est la vie! Sabina has a lively personality and dreams of quitting her job as a doctor in a German hospital to live on a boat and take divers to exotic places. She has been coming to Malapascua for 4 years and has been on the island for several months taking leave from her job. She is caretaking the White Sands cottages mentioned in the Lonely Planet Guide. After the diving expedition the dive boat dropped us back to Valiam. We invited Sabina to come back with us. She exclaimed her delight and appreciation of Valiam's comforts including the stove top espresso machine. The number of times I could have sold it for a profit! (I knew I should brought a shipment with me!)

Bill rowed us back to the closest little beach and decided he would row all the way around to the main beach. Sabina and I took a 'hobble hobble' each (motorbike) after she shouted to some locals 'dos hobble hobble!' and 2 turned up within minutes. The ride on narrow paths up over hills and through the village is very picturesque. The island has 3000 people living on it mostly in little shanty houses. I noticed quite a few pigs being fattened up as well as magnificent roosters each tied by the leg to a roost. The roosters are being prepared for cock fighting and with Holy week beginning today betting will begin in earnest. At one o'clock Sabina had arranged for a massage lady to come so she invited me to be at her bungalow also to repair my back.

At 1pm I arrived by 'hobble hobble' from the boat and beach around the corner. Sabina was having her long hair washed and braided by Bergie as well as her toenails done. Amie arrived to give me my massage. The little bungalows ('nipas') at White Sands are idyllic and made of thatching. Whilst I lay in the cool darkness listening to the ocean gently lapping the shore Amie massaged me for 2 hours. Bliss! I did hear the rain dripping on the roof but apparently it was quite a squall whilst I was in there! Feeling totally relaxed and my back somewhat less painful I emerged covered in coconut oil and sat with the 'girls' to gossip. (massage 300 pesos = A$8, toenails 100 pesos =A$2.50)

The previous day Bill bought me some beautiful pink cultured pearls from a beach vendor. They are non perfect ones probably rejects from the nearby pearl farms but beautiful nonetheless. Thirty years of marriage is pearls so now I have my pearls! Amie commented on my pearls saying in a whisper that the people who sold them to me are Muslims without soul. Amie is deeply religious and as a practising Catholic felt that the pearl sellers were bad because the clasps etc joining the pearls go rusty. She sees herself as 'God's instrument' and accepts her calling as a healer.

After having a lovely shower in Sabinas bungalow and having my toenails painted metallic green it was time for Bill to join us for a sunset drink on the beach at 'La Dolvitas'. Sabina took us around some of her favourite haunts including 'Josephine's'. Josephines is a wooden picnic bench on the beach with a little shack behind it from where pretty smiling Josephine serves drinks to a mottley assortment of foreigners. Several older men have a young Philippino girlfriend. This is such a common practice in the Philippines that on many occasions the local girls I talk to say they have a sister/aunt/cousin who is married to an Australian.

We are now sailing beautifully towards the Gigante Islands. I am not sure where we will be anchoring but the pilot book gives a position for the Gigantes as 11.36N 123.21 E if you are looking on Google Earth. It's nice to have the peace and quiet of sailing after each socializing experience in each place we visit. We always exchange addresses with people we meet and do hope that one day we will meet again. In some ways it helps me be less homesick for my family and friends. Every now and again I feel a pang of homesickness and feel surprised when I realize it's only been 4 weeks since we left Australia after our visit. We have been in the Philippines 17 days now so I guess we need to keep going in the direction of Malaysia and Thailand if we are to make the Red Sea this season.

It's a beautiful day - blue skies, flat seas and a gentle breeze. A number of ships and bangkas continually pass us on this route so we have to keep continual watch. We are feeling a little weary and it has nothing to do with the happy hour last night where we had several banana rums etc! Thank you to those who send us an occasional email. It's fantastic to hear from you out here and find out any news. We now know that Bob Abbott is the Mayor of the newly amalgamated Sunshine Coast. Apart from that we haven't heard any other news. I always respond to your emails individually so if you have any comments or questions we would love to hear them.

All well on board Valiam
Linda and the captain

Friday 14th March 2008
Malapascua Island
Philippines
Position : 11.30.36 N 124.06.66 E

A fishing boat with it's 'white tentacles' either side motored by just as the sun - a big orange ball melted into the sea. We were rewarded after an 11 hour day of motoring with a magnificent sunset just after we dropped the anchor in a small bay on the northwestern side of the island. The pilot book recommended to anchor in 6 metres of water SW of the light house which is what we did. A large residence built on rocks and limestone is directly opposite us on the beach of the smaller bay just south of where several fishing boats are anchored. The Lonely Planet guide although recent hasn't kept up with the description of the extra development on the island. Rather than one or two thatched roofed huts several concrete resorts were obvious on the main beach as we came towards the island. There seem to be many dive boats in the style of the fishing boats anchored on the main beach as well. Where we are presently anchored seems more deserted although we did witness a group of people having a party of sorts sitting on the beach. There are reputably no cars on the island but we did see some motor bikes wizzing by on the tracks behind the beach.

Valiam is rolling gently protected from the northerly wind. There was some lightening in the distance and we do hope we wont be woken by a storm during the night. Tomorrow we will explore the island and then head off again most probably the following day for the Gigantes islands.

Tonight we enjoyed a meal cooked on board for a change - pork chops, cabbage and broccoli. For lunch we had an oven warmed baguette with camembert cheese, lettuce and tomato. It is difficult to buy this type of food but the supermarket at the Marina Mall across from the Cebu yacht club was well stocked. We have a few more supplies of non Asian food to keep us going for a while. No fish caught again today. We are beginning to wonder whether Dennis' recommended lures from Palau are jinxed.
Comments
Vessel Name: Valiam
Vessel Make/Model: Valiam: Lidgard 45 (Single chine plywood) designed by Gary Lidgard. Built by Bill Anderson and Steve Thornalley. Lati: 31ft 1967 Kim Holman built in Barcelona. Original name Latigazo
Hailing Port: Mooloolaba, Queensland, Australia
Crew: Linda and Bill Anderson. To buy our books 'Sailing in my Sarong' or 'Salvage in my Sarong' for $39.95 +postage, see Paypal/visa button below (or email us: valiam1@hotmail.com)
About:
Bill and Linda fufilled a 30 year dream to sail around the world. First they built a boat in a paddock in the Sunshine Coast hinterland, Qld, Australia in 1994 with the help of friend Steve. [...]
Extra:
CIRCUMNAVIGATION ON VALIAM: We left Mooloolaba on the 7th November 2007, sailed to Townsville, leaving Australian waters on 26th November 2007 for PNG, Palau, Philippines, Borneo, Malaysia,Singapore, Cocos Keeling islands. We crossed the Indian Ocean to Rodrigues, Mauritius,Reunion and South [...]
Social:
Valiam 's Photos - Valiam (more albums below) (Main)
12 days in paradise January 2017
76 Photos
Created 22 January 2017
Delivery trip for Captain Peter Moor
7 Photos
Created 16 September 2014
23 Photos
Created 28 April 2014
Most works are in the previous album. Here are the most recent, mostly pastels unframed drawn from life.PayPal or Direct deposit. email Linda valiam1@hotmail.com
20 Photos
Created 14 January 2014
30 Photos
Created 2 December 2013
18 Photos
Created 27 July 2013
28 Photos
Created 12 July 2013
123 Photos
Created 21 June 2013
45 Photos
Created 15 June 2013
59 Photos
Created 31 May 2013
12 Photos
Created 15 May 2013
28 Photos
Created 28 April 2013
47 Photos
Created 31 January 2013
Aiming to sail to Tasmania and back by April
85 Photos
Created 18 January 2013
22 Photos
Created 27 December 2012
5 Photos
Created 1 October 2012
20 Photos
Created 24 September 2012
43 Photos
Created 19 September 2012
18 Photos
Created 16 September 2012
20 Photos
Created 16 September 2012
108 Photos
Created 14 August 2012
20 Photos
Created 14 August 2012
65 Photos
Created 17 July 2012
Lati's Atlantic Crossing to Azores
41 Photos
Created 17 July 2012
56 Photos
Created 8 June 2012
124 Photos
Created 16 March 2012
Rosebed st Gallery Eudlo, Queensland. PHOTOS by Marion Jonkers Photography
40 Photos
Created 19 February 2012
20 Photos
Created 5 December 2011
67 Photos
Created 7 October 2011
6 Photos
Created 28 March 2011
24 Photos
Created 16 February 2011
45 Photos
Created 27 January 2011
Pt Cartwright, Buddina, Australia
85 Photos
Created 26 December 2010
20 Photos
Created 3 July 2010
44 Photos
Created 13 June 2010
We welcomed Jessica Watson to Mooloolaba after she was the youngest to sail around the world non stop unassisted. Well done Jess
19 Photos
Created 6 June 2010
1 Photo
Created 25 May 2010
39 Photos
Created 5 May 2010
back with the family for Christmas
81 Photos
Created 26 December 2009
125 Photos
Created 24 November 2009
75 Photos
Created 14 October 2009
45 Photos
Created 5 October 2009
129 Photos
Created 5 October 2009
126 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
113 Photos
Created 28 June 2009
107 Photos
Created 6 June 2009
83 Photos
Created 4 June 2009
118 Photos
Created 19 May 2009
113 Photos
Created 14 April 2009
81 Photos
Created 6 April 2009
1994 to current day
59 Photos
Created 19 March 2009
74 Photos
Created 17 March 2009
73 Photos
Created 1 March 2009
103 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 16 January 2009
130 Photos
Created 28 December 2008
120 Photos
Created 25 November 2008
107 Photos
Created 23 October 2008
38 Photos
Created 12 October 2008
25 Photos
Created 8 October 2008
45 Photos
Created 21 September 2008
114 Photos
Created 14 September 2008
54 Photos
Created 31 August 2008
49 Photos
Created 22 August 2008
119 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 31 July 2008
83 Photos
Created 25 June 2008
6 Photos
Created 25 June 2008
12 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 1 June 2008
My work is of an expressionist nature - I capture what I see from life. I draw and paint on location using mostly pastels, inks and occasionally acrylics. Some works are framed but many arent so are easily packaged for posting. You can pay by PayPal or Direct Deposit. I am located on the Sunshine Coast, QLD< Australia
120 Photos
Created 31 May 2008
60 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 30 May 2008
36 Photos
Created 30 May 2008
38 Photos
Created 30 May 2008
34 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 30 May 2008
71 Photos
Created 30 May 2008
25 Photos
Created 30 May 2008
Valiam at Lawries Marina
24 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 28 May 2008

The Adventures of Linda and Captain Underpants!

Who: Linda and Bill Anderson. To buy our books 'Sailing in my Sarong' or 'Salvage in my Sarong' for $39.95 +postage, see Paypal/visa button below (or email us: valiam1@hotmail.com)
Port: Mooloolaba, Queensland, Australia

Current Position - click on positions for log entr

Linda's books "Sailing in my Sarong" or "Salvage in my Sarong" are A$39.95 each + A$10 postage in Australia for up to 4 books. Other countries please email Linda : valiam1@hotmail.com
Number of copies of each book you would like
Salvage in my Sarong
"You just sit on the boat, pull a few strings and you get there." Bill Anderson aka Captain Underpants