Sailing Valparaiso

"Searching for Paradise"

10 November 2012 | La Paz, BCS, MX
08 November 2012 | La Paz, BCS, Mexico
08 October 2012 | Marina Palmira, La Paz, BCS
28 September 2012 | Portland, Oregon
17 August 2012 | OKC-PDX-LAP
19 August 2011 | Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
28 December 2010 | LaPaz
03 December 2010 | Marina Palmira, La Paz BCS
15 November 2010 | Bahia Los Muertos
05 November 2010 | Cabo San Lucas
24 October 2010 | San Diego
16 October 2010 | San Diego
25 September 2010 | Avalon Bay, Santa Catalina Island
13 September 2010 | Santa Barbara
02 September 2010 | Fortman Marina, Alameda, CA
20 August 2010 | Bodega Bay
13 August 2010 | Eureka, CA
10 August 2010 | Brookings, Oregon
04 August 2010 | Charleston, Oregon

La Paz…Love It or Love It

03 December 2010 | Marina Palmira, La Paz BCS
Butch
So we haven't made a decision yet...we've been in La Paz for 2 weeks...tied to the docks at Marina Palmira. No more rockin and rollin. Lots of peace and quiet. I've even completed a couple of those "long put-off projects". There's an Applebee's, McDonald's and Burger King. And the weirdest thing...a Chinese restaurant with Mexican waiters and cooks...it wasn't bad. This morning I watched a fisherman catching bait...he seemed to be very happy. He was singing away oblivious to anyone watching him. Even the guy emptying the garbage was whistling away.

Susan's starting to come around about Mexico. Don't let the State Department fool you...this place is as safe as Anytown USA. We've walked, bused, boated and taxied all over town. The people are so friendly...most of them want to learn English as much as we want to learn Spanish. I've really had my eyes opened...they have the same wants and wishes we have. The Mexican people put their families first. They're very religious. Education and culture are very important to them. There's a fellow that works here in the Marina. His name is Ramon and he tests my Spanish every time I see him. He calls me Señor Pepe and he seems pleased when I have a new word or sentence for him. One may assume it's because of the tourist trade but it doesn't change when you get out away from the waterfront. The cost are about the same as in OKC until you start buying things for the boat then it's seems to be about twice as much...that's the one thing that has disappointed me. There are other negatives...even though it's safe here...it seems that the Mexican people don't trust each other. There's rot iron bars on all the windows and doors...fences around everything with barb wire. It seems that there are a lot of unfinished projects and buildings that are occupied but not finished. We found out that this is a tax loophole. You don't pay taxes on a building until it is finished...so nothing ever gets completed. You gotta love the good ole American Mexican loophole...

JW flew home Wednesday...I miss him already. This trip was hard on him...he was a real trouper and he hung in there. Hopefully he will have some fond memories that will last a lifetime. We took a taxi to the airport which is about 15 KM from the marina. The funny thing is you can get a taxi to the airport but not from the airport to town...go figure. I can't tell you why because I could not understand the driver Sergio...he spoke pequeño English and I speak pequeño Espanola. He kept saying something about the federally. Anyway when we arrived at the airport he started talking to La Policia then he motioned for us to go inside where we went to La Comisario Policia (the Boss). He eyed me up and down then said "Ok". I said, "Gracias Señor". I've been here long enough to figure out that the Sergio was asking for permission to stay and give us a ride back to town. What a Country! Even the parking lot attendant gave him a hard time about giving us a ride back to town. And it only cost us 440 pesos $36.50 US...not bad.

Christmas is only 24 days away...all the stores are playing holiday music...they even sell real trees here. However I just can't get into it. The weather is so nice it doesn't feel like Christmas. I guess that means the boys aren't getting anything this year. It also looks like we'll be here through the end of the year. Well I guess that's all for now. Adios, Feliz Navidad y Feliz Año Nuevo.
Comments
Vessel Name: Valparaiso
Vessel Make/Model: Irwin 52 Center Cockpit Ketch (tall rig) 7' Draft
Hailing Port: Portland Oregon
Crew: Joe (Butch), Susan, JW & RC KK4FDZ
About:
In the early 70?s Susan and I purchased our first of four boats, a 24ft Clipper quarter ton sloop having never been on any form of boat in our lives. [...]
Extra:
"Valparaiso" (Veil of Paradise) Chase the dog star Over the sea Home where my true love is waiting for me Rope the south wind Canvas the stars Harness the moonlight So she can safely go Round the Cape Horn to Valparaiso Red the port light Starboard the green How will she know of the [...]

Same Ole Ship... Different Day!

Who: Joe (Butch), Susan, JW & RC KK4FDZ
Port: Portland Oregon