Sailing Valparaiso

"Searching for Paradise"

10 November 2012 | La Paz, BCS, MX
08 November 2012 | La Paz, BCS, Mexico
08 October 2012 | Marina Palmira, La Paz, BCS
28 September 2012 | Portland, Oregon
17 August 2012 | OKC-PDX-LAP
19 August 2011 | Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
28 December 2010 | LaPaz
03 December 2010 | Marina Palmira, La Paz BCS
15 November 2010 | Bahia Los Muertos
05 November 2010 | Cabo San Lucas
24 October 2010 | San Diego
16 October 2010 | San Diego
25 September 2010 | Avalon Bay, Santa Catalina Island
13 September 2010 | Santa Barbara
02 September 2010 | Fortman Marina, Alameda, CA
20 August 2010 | Bodega Bay
13 August 2010 | Eureka, CA
10 August 2010 | Brookings, Oregon
04 August 2010 | Charleston, Oregon

"Shanghaied in Astoria"

25 July 2010 | Astoria, Oregon
Butch
Can you believe it? We finally left Portland for Mexico... I can't believe it was so difficult. For years I've read about other sailors venturing off to destinations unknown...and we've talked about doing this for years, but when your turn comes up it was a little harder than anticipated. You'll never finish every project on the boat. We got about 80% of the things done but we totally ignored our personal life...this delayed us another week or so. We finally pulled away from the dock with the v-berth and the main salon stacked with stuff. Some stuff is going to be left in Astoria if you know what I mean.

We left Portland Wednesday around noon with plans to pass under the I-5 bridge at low tide but the sheriff's patrol had the center span closed for a rescue mission so again we made a lot of enemies with the commuter traffic when they had to open the bridge. And to our surprise the railroad bridge opened right up for us and we had no delays...life is good. We made it as far as St. Helens where we spent a rock-n-rollin' night tied to the public docks. With the Columbia Bar closed to small craft and weather forecast iffy at best, we decided to take our time down the river. We spent 2 wonderful days on the hook off Puget Island. Saw some friends who live on the island and took the trolley to the farmers market. On Saturday we motored to Astoria arriving about the same time the gale winds did. We had to use extra dock lines it was blowin' so hard. Last night we went to the Astor Playhouse and saw the play "Shanghaied in Astoria", it would be a mistake not to put this on your list of things to do in Astoria.

Here's irony for you...for over two years I have suffered from back pain. I've tried a chiropractor, massage therapy and lots of serious drugs all with temporary results but recently I had 2 cortisone shots and I feel better than I have in years. I'm writing this blog in the Astoria Urgent Care waiting room while Susan screams in pain in the back room. Yes her back went out this morning. We were planning on leaving early Monday morning for Newport but who knows when we will be leaving? Stay tuned we'll let you know. Right now we're "Shanghaied in Astoria"!

Last but not least I need to apologize to some of my friends who I did not make the time to see or even call. Chris G. I hoped it works out and we can spend some time in Newport...Liam M. what can I say...keep in touch. Being so busy is not an excuse...all work and no play makes Joe a dull boy.
Comments
Vessel Name: Valparaiso
Vessel Make/Model: Irwin 52 Center Cockpit Ketch (tall rig) 7' Draft
Hailing Port: Portland Oregon
Crew: Joe (Butch), Susan, JW & RC KK4FDZ
About:
In the early 70?s Susan and I purchased our first of four boats, a 24ft Clipper quarter ton sloop having never been on any form of boat in our lives. [...]
Extra:
"Valparaiso" (Veil of Paradise) Chase the dog star Over the sea Home where my true love is waiting for me Rope the south wind Canvas the stars Harness the moonlight So she can safely go Round the Cape Horn to Valparaiso Red the port light Starboard the green How will she know of the [...]

Same Ole Ship... Different Day!

Who: Joe (Butch), Susan, JW & RC KK4FDZ
Port: Portland Oregon