Sailing Valparaiso

"Searching for Paradise"

10 November 2012 | La Paz, BCS, MX
08 November 2012 | La Paz, BCS, Mexico
08 October 2012 | Marina Palmira, La Paz, BCS
28 September 2012 | Portland, Oregon
17 August 2012 | OKC-PDX-LAP
19 August 2011 | Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
28 December 2010 | LaPaz
03 December 2010 | Marina Palmira, La Paz BCS
15 November 2010 | Bahia Los Muertos
05 November 2010 | Cabo San Lucas
24 October 2010 | San Diego
16 October 2010 | San Diego
25 September 2010 | Avalon Bay, Santa Catalina Island
13 September 2010 | Santa Barbara
02 September 2010 | Fortman Marina, Alameda, CA
20 August 2010 | Bodega Bay
13 August 2010 | Eureka, CA
10 August 2010 | Brookings, Oregon
04 August 2010 | Charleston, Oregon

BAHA-HAHA or what a dumbass!

05 November 2010 | Cabo San Lucas
Butch
We left San Diego Monday October 25th with extra crew Chris Lund and Ralph Richardson for a 10 day sail south to the Sea of Cortez. Eight hundred plus miles later we're anchored in front of the hotels in Cabo San Lucas...safe and sound. I can't say it was an uneventful trip but certainly memorable. We have video of hundreds of dolphins riding the bow waves. Whales that breached at the stern of the boat and were later diving under the boat at the stern...it was awesome and kind of scary all at the same time...after all last year a boat was sunk by whales. We passed sea turtles, sunfish and of course we landed 6 tunas along the way. On a side note we actually landed 1 other yellow fin tuna however as Chris was holding it up for photos the deck rolled violently to port as he slid on his knees across the stern towards the open ocean letting go at the last second to save his own life...we captured it on video and trust me it's pretty funny. We motored a majority of the way as we had many issues with the sails and sail configuration in rough seas. We worked out some along the way and I'm sure someday we'll fix the others. We were able to keep it safe but still broke a few things along the way...all of which are repairable.

This year there were 195 boats registered which is over 600 participants. I've tried to meet all of them at the 3 different parties we've had so far. Tomorrow is party number 4 and in a couple of weeks the last party will be in La Paz. Along the way we stopped in Bahia De Tortuga (Turtle Bay) on the first leg and Bahia Santa Maria on the second. Of course we had a huge beach party at both locations. I would like to say I sat on the sidelines and remembered I'm not 18 anymore but...like the dumbass I am...I can't. I thought it would be funny to anchor the woman's side of the tug-a-war competition. Well the women won then let go of the rope which...again like a dumbass...I had tied the rope around my waist. Do I need to remind you that I've had back issues for 2 years which I am finally getting under control? Let's say I went flying through the air (about 20 feet) landing on my left hip snapping my neck. I survived with 4 bruises about the size of my fist on my left hip...one on my shoulder and soft tissue injury on my right neck chest and shoulder. Ok we're hundreds of miles from the nearest hospital. Go ahead and say it...what a dumbass! The good news...I will survive to do something stupid again. For now I'm laying low and of course taking lots of pain killers. What a dumbass!

JW is loving Mexico since he is legal here...maybe we'll have the chance to visit one of those special bars while we're here...who knows? This might give us a chance to use our Spanish which is improving thanks to Ralph. Friday afternoon we're going to go snorkeling after I get us signed into the country. Chris is flying home Saturday...we'll miss his cooking. I'll have more in a couple of days. Oh Ya...did I mention I'm a dumbass? Adios Mi Amigos.


Comments
Vessel Name: Valparaiso
Vessel Make/Model: Irwin 52 Center Cockpit Ketch (tall rig) 7' Draft
Hailing Port: Portland Oregon
Crew: Joe (Butch), Susan, JW & RC KK4FDZ
About:
In the early 70?s Susan and I purchased our first of four boats, a 24ft Clipper quarter ton sloop having never been on any form of boat in our lives. [...]
Extra:
"Valparaiso" (Veil of Paradise) Chase the dog star Over the sea Home where my true love is waiting for me Rope the south wind Canvas the stars Harness the moonlight So she can safely go Round the Cape Horn to Valparaiso Red the port light Starboard the green How will she know of the [...]

Same Ole Ship... Different Day!

Who: Joe (Butch), Susan, JW & RC KK4FDZ
Port: Portland Oregon