Wendy & Burry Cruising

Back aboard, Headed south from Green Cove Springs, going to the Exhumas.

17 July 2013 | Nassau, New Providence
11 July 2013 | Black Point Settlement
11 July 2013 | Sampson Cay
11 July 2013 | Georgetown
11 July 2013 | Kingston
22 February 2013 | Sampson Cay
18 February 2013 | Waderick Wells
15 February 2013 | Waderick Wells
07 December 2012 | Green Cove Springs
22 May 2012 | Florida (jacksonvillle)
20 May 2012
19 May 2012 | Spanish Wells
19 May 2012 | Northern Exhumas
19 May 2012 | Little Farmers/Black Point
17 May 2012 | Emerald Bay on Great Exhuma
17 May 2012 | Little Farmers Cay
16 May 2012 | Black Point
01 May 2012 | Stanial Cay
11 March 2012 | Center of the Land and Sea Park
08 March 2012 | Shroud Cay

Warderick Wells

11 March 2012 | Center of the Land and Sea Park
Wonderful weather abounds!
So we had a short run from Shroud Cay to Warderick Wells, the HQ and heart of the Land and Sea Park. There are three mooring fields around Warderick, the Northern field in a gorgeous crescent shaped cove just inside Warderick Cut, Emerald Rock, about half way down the Cay on the Western side and Hog Cay, on the south eastern tip between Warderick Wells and Hog Cay. We lucked in and managed to get a mooring in the northern field which is probably the most scenic and convenient to the Park HQ.
Grabbing the mooring was interesting as the channel is narrow, current swift and in our case we had a bit of a cross wind. But we managed to grab it at first try and quickly had the bridle on and set for a few days of relaxing and sightseeing.
The park office also has a small shop, and rents DVDs as well. The other added bonus is they have ice for sale. Given we were planning on staying a few days we opted for the Land and Sea Park membership, which was $60 but included two free nights on the mooring. Added benefit for our return passage is it gives you priority on the mooring list. But really, the extra $20 is for a very worthwhile cause in our view and we feel honoured in being members of this great park.
Ran into a friend as well, Debbie on Illusions. Was funny as we discussing on where she was and how we should send an email to her and Wendy runs into her on the beach. Here she is moored in the North field with us! So we managed to catch up with her.
Warderick is a great place for both land and water activities. There are snorkel sites with dingy moorings available, flats for kayaking, and numerous hiking trails throughout the Cay. The trails are fairly rugged but the views from Boo Boo and Hutia hills are magnificent. Initially thinking about a three day stay we quickly realized a fourth day was required. We did some great snorkeling both at Emerald Rock and at the cut west of the park HQ.
The only damper of the time there was the attitude and bearing of some of our fellow cruisers, but there is no control on that so other than cringe a bit you let it pass and carry on enjoying this great place.
The wild life around Warderick is amazing; especially the aquatic with a few huge spotted Rays gliding through the field every day. Lots of fish, conch and some great fan coral are also abundant. On shore we saw a huge variety of birds and some very large land crabs.
Finally, we decided time to head south and reluctantly through of the lines and headed to Stanial Cay, home of the Thunderball Groto.
Comments
Vessel Name: Seahawk X
Vessel Make/Model: Island Trader 41, Ketch
Hailing Port: Kingston, Ontario
Crew: Wendy, Burry, Maggie, Bartley (in our hearts)
About: Wendy and Burry have been married for 30+ years and moved aboard Seahawk when they were transfered from Maryland to New Jersey. Threw off the lines fall of 2010 and have been travelling the eastern seaboard and bahamas since.
Extra: We have two children we love a lot and miss, hoping they will visit us more once we are in the tropics lol. Tara is a budding bio scientist, recently married to Chris, and just completed her masters. Michael is in the Navel Reserve and has finished his degree and headed to Saskatoon with Megan.

The Adventures of the Vanderveers

Who: Wendy, Burry, Maggie, Bartley (in our hearts)
Port: Kingston, Ontario