The Tale of Two Shadows

31 October 2016 | Guanajuato, MX
02 February 2016 | Guanajuato, Mexico
29 September 2015 | Guanajuato, Mexico
29 June 2015 | Guanajuato, Mexico
16 May 2015 | Guanajuato, Mexico
05 May 2015 | Guanajuato, Mexico
24 March 2015 | La Paz, MX
15 March 2015 | La Cruz, MX
22 January 2015 | La Cruz, MX
29 November 2014 | La Paz, MX
12 October 2014 | La Paz, MX
20 September 2014 | La Paz, MX
14 September 2014 | La Paz, MX
04 August 2014 | La Paz, MX
31 July 2014 | La Paz, MX
24 June 2014 | La Paz, MX
24 May 2014 | La Paz, MX
14 April 2014 | Mazatlan
22 March 2014 | Mazatlán
06 February 2014 | La Cruz anchorage

Sea of Cortez

24 May 2014 | La Paz, MX
Vanessa & Ron
Passage to La Paz
We made it to La Paz finally. We left Mazatlán on a Wednesday morning (April 16, 2014), with pretty good swells every 10 seconds. Of course both cats immediately threw up, it was like a chain reaction. Samantha starts drooling, then throws up, which gets Jackson going, and I am close to it, but manage to breathe through my mouth to survive. And Ron, being the sweet man he is, cleans it all up. Poop included. Overall the sail back across the Bay was fairly uneventful, just as we wanted it, and the opposite from me injuring my ribs on the way over. We did end up changing fuel filters a few times, including one at 1:00 am. It is eerie sitting in the middle of the empty sea, with some moonlight through the clouds, the sea black and shiny, and hearing NOTHING (when he is down below changing fuel filters). You begin to imagine things, with the waves making distinct sounds, like whales or dolphins are talking to you. No other boats around for 80 or so miles. Very weird. You have to make sure your fears don’t take over, and allow yourself to find some peace in the quiet. Anyway, we arrived in Bahía los Frailes the next evening, with 20 knots of wind at our stern and 3-5 foot waves. Once we made it into the anchorage, the seas flattened down some and we anchored with no problem in about 18 feet of water. You could see the bottom through the turquoise water. It was the day before Good Friday and the beaches were wall-to-wall people in their tents, trucks and tarps, but we were the solo boat at anchor! We watched kids and families playing in the surf, and later, campfires on the beach, and random fireworks. Spent two nights there so we could rest up from our overnight passage, as we never tend to get much sleep doing those.

We left los Frailes and headed to Bahía de los Muertos (Bay of the Dead), another anchorage on the Baja peninsula, north of Frailes and on the way to La Paz. Developers of a new resort there have “renamed” the area as Bahía de los Sueños (Bay of Dreams) so they can sell more luxury homes. I guess people don’t want to live on the Bay of the Dead, even though the name comes from the “dead men anchors,” huge train axels that were buried in the cove in the 1920’s and used as anchors for barges that transported ore from the silver mines nearby. It is a beautiful little Bay with a long beach that again was crowded with campers and tents and lots of families enjoying the Easter weekend. Loud Mexican music from their vehicles, jet skis and fishing pangas circling the cove, and up on the hill at the luxury resort, you could hear American tunes. Quite a cacophony of sounds. Beautiful teal blue water and one restaurant onshore which made the best chicken tostadas I have had since being in Mexico. Oh yeah, speaking of that, we have now officially been here over 7 months. Kind of strange.

We spent a couple of days there, enough time to see all of the campers leave and the beach return to its previous barren state. Headed out through two channels which were supposed to be challenging if the winds and currents were strong, but we encountered neither, and we stopped mid-afternoon in Puerto Balandra. If you can Google Balandra Bay or Puerto Balandra, you should. It is an absolutely gorgeous bay, 12 miles North of La Paz, with crystal clear water (turquoise and clear) and sparkling white sand. They have a famous “Mushroom” rock there, which is kind of cool (hint, hint, see photos), but to me the beauty is in the surrounding cliffs and rock overhangs against the incredible blues and greens of the water. We stayed a couple of days, and later came back for a couple more days of kayaking, snorkeling, and generally playing in the water. We finally got to La Paz a week after leaving Mazatlán, but only covered 266 miles. Well, that is what a sailboat is about, and I guess retirement for that matter. Going as slow as you want, taking your time to enjoy sights along the way. Not necessarily adhering to a rigid schedule.

La Paz
La Paz is quite the spot for expats and cruisers. Much more laid back than Mazatlán, and with the name La Paz meaning The Peace, I guess it fits. The city has approximately 275,000 residents, with a malecón stretching miles along the waterfront. Every evening hundreds of people stroll this walkway stretched between the marinas along the palm-lined street, with views of boats anchored offshore, couples and families on foot or skates, with kids on low bikes winding their way between a sea of legs. Music is heard from the many restaurants and bars lining the malecón, as well as the cars cruising by. We found a favorite restaurant, Rancho Viejo, that serves incredible tacos for 20 pesos each ($1.50 US). They are served with a guacamole sauce, freshly made roasted tomato salsa, lime wedges, grated cabbage, marinated peppers and onions, and pico de gallo. We ended up buying a half kilo of their marinated and grilled pork to take with us on our cruise to the islands and it came to 125 pesos ($9.50 US). That is a pound of meat, and all the trimmings, including fresh tortillas. That was enough for the two of us for 3 lunches! And oh so delicioso! Speaking of food, we also found a wonderful Italian restaurant here, that looks like you just stepped into an Italian bistro when you walk inside the stucco walls. The Italian chef/owner came out to greet us and talked us into having his fresh seafood salad. Ron was having none of that, and the rest of us were a little nervous, but the owner guaranteed we would love it, or not pay for it. Well, it was squid, shrimp, and scallops (ceviche style) served over fresh new cut-up potatoes and lettuce with an incredible lime dressing over it all. The four of us shared it and it proved to be incredible and we didn’t leave a single piece on the plate. Ron also had lasagna with béchamel and marinara sauces and I had a spicy shrimp sauce over homemade fettuccini. Yum. And all reasonably priced.

We also had to make another visit to the vet as when we went in Mazatlán the vet decided not to give the cats rabies shots, but three other vaccines that they needed, and a rabies vaccine can’t be given at the same time. We called the La Paz vet and were told we didn’t need an appointment if it was just for a shot. We went in at 9:00am and the vet spent over an hour with us, as we had other questions for him. He turned out to be a wonderful vet, very professional, organized and conscientious. The visit turned out to be even cheaper than Mazatlán. He charged us 380 pesos for two complete exams and rabies vaccinations. That comes to about $14.45 a cat. And speaking of low-cost… I needed to see a doctor for an infection that I don’t need to go into detail about, but I needed an antibiotic. We put out the call over the VHF radio net (for those of you who haven’t read past blog entries, the radio net is a daily occurrence between cruisers in each town we visit. A different person “hosts” it each day, and everyone tunes in to a certain channel on their VHF radio, at the same time every day. We find out about the weather, the current money exchange rate, upcoming events like holidays & bank closures or swap meets, places to find necessary parts or fresh produce, as well as local services.) Anyway, we put out the question on the “net” about where to find a good gynecologist and one of the other boats said he had a female general practitioner onboard who would be happy to consult with me. So she and I talked (on another channel from the general one), and we set up an appointment for the next morning at 10 am. Well, she arrived BY DINGHY as she often makes house calls or boat calls in this case. She had her medical bag with her, and took my blood pressure, examined my current medications, asked the appropriate questions, and wrote me some prescriptions. She trained in Guadalajara, and is connected to a University practice here in La Paz. She charged me $38 US! You can’t find that kind of service and price in the U.S., that’s for sure! I am going back to see her once we return from the islands and have a more thorough exam done.

Espíritu Santo or as Ron states it, “The Holy Ghost Tour”
We left La Paz with friends who were on their boat, Pacific Breeze, on May 2nd, headed for the Isla Espíritu Santo island chain, a National Marine Park in the Sea of Cortez. We decided to get moving again as it was again a big holiday time down here with several holidays lined up; El Día de los Nino (Children’s Day), El Día de Trabajo (Labor Day – which they do take seriously here), the Anniversary of the Founding of La Paz (close to 500 years ago), and Cinco de Mayo. I love the fact that they have a Day for Children, just like Mother’s Day and Father’s Day. It is celebrated big-time here. I can understand it, as families really are tight, and seem to be so loving to their children. My hairdresser here and I had quite a discussion about the difference between raising kids in the U.S. versus Mexico. I am continually amazed by some of the things I see here between adults and children, even with teenagers. I don’t think I am just seeing through rose-colored glasses, but maybe?

Our two boats stopped for a couple of days in Balandra again, then into San Gabriel bay on Isla Espíritu Santo. The whole island has approximately 32 coves, and NO developments on the island, since it is a national park. It is very stark, with rust, tan, and volcanic rock cliffs, bare mountains except for the occasional cactus, and maybe a few mangroves in a couple of coves, all contrasting with the turquoise and blue seas. San Gabriel Bay has a huge white sand beach, and snorkeling around a point off a reef. However, we didn’t enjoy either one because as soon as we anchored hundreds of bees surrounded the boat. We had heard they seek out fresh water, and won’t bother you, but we had no idea there would be that many. We ended up placing a bowl out at the bow of the boat, away from the cockpit, so that the bees could have their water and we could go about our business without any worry. The problem with that plan was that bees started coming in through our overhead hatches and into the boat, thus teasing the cats into chasing them. We were concerned that they would be stung, so we had to put up screens and close any other openings. So we were essentially locked inside for the rest of the afternoon and evening. Additionally, the coromuels came up. These are southwest winds that are unique to the La Paz area, and come up as the sun sets and don’t die down until the next day at 11 or 12 in the morning. They are winds that are created by cool air from the Pacific Ocean, rushing over the low lying land on the peninsula southwest of La Paz. The wind can reach 20-30 knots, which isn’t that bad, but it is the fetch that becomes problematic. Fetch is the building up of the seas across great distances which really become big swells by the time they reach your boat. It makes for very rocky, rolly, uncomfortable nights of trying to sleep. So we only stayed one night, leaving to seek out a more protected anchorage. Unfortunately the bees were blocking access to the anchor windlass. Ron put on long sleeves, a hat, and leather gloves to carry the water bowl aft, along with the huge swarm of bees! We went about 8 miles up the coast of the island to Caleta Partida, a huge anchorage that is essentially the crater of a large extinct volcano. There are high sloping walls and volcanic rock around the anchorage.

How quiet it is in Partida – you can hear an occasional osprey crying on the wind, but otherwise, it is silent. I understand many people are uncomfortable with that kind of silence, but we revel in it. No sound, but occasional birds, waves licking at the boat and a splash or two. A turtle head poking up, a school of fish flying across the water, escaping the pursuing dorado below. We spend days at anchor doing small chores or maintenance, run the generator to make fresh water, spend a couple of hours reading, practicing Spanish, taking photos, or writing, and the rest of the time kayaking, swimming, snorkeling or taking the dinghy out to shore to explore or walk the beaches. Time in towns is spent reprovisioning groceries or supplies, going out to lunch or dinner somewhere new, and talking to other cruisers or locals to find out the lay of the land.

Tonight in Partida Bay, quiet, absolutely no wind. The cove turned into a silent still bay; not a sound but an occasional splash, low in the glassy dark water, and a laugh and word of English here and there from a sailboat upwind. You know when it is an English laugh versus a Mexican laugh for some reason. And the few words that float by on the wind, “No, really” or “I couldn’t believe…”. Definitely American. But the night otherwise is still, and magical in that regard. When do you ever get that much quiet? When do you even strain for a sound, to prove that you are wrong…. Nothing could be that quiet. But it truly is. Still. And peaceful. It makes you forget the turmoil and trauma in the world. Wow.

One day our Pacific Breeze friends went in their dinghy, and us in ours, exploring the bay. We rounded the north point of the Bay into another long narrow “canyon” with incredible honeycomb rock formations, and red stone cliffs which are really rusted iron-rich volcanic stone. These cliffs rose 200-300 feet straight up from the turquoise water, and straight down below, making for great snorkeling among the underwater boulders and rock walls. Lots of tropical fish and manta rays. A turtle here and there. You can see lots, probably too many photos of our adventure in the accompanying photo album.

One of the last afternoons at anchor our dinner was brought to us, as occasionally happens. An older Mexican panguero (quite old, with several teeth missing, but a beautiful smile all the same) came up alongside our boat in his beat up panga, without any words but ‘pescado fresco,’ communicating that he had fresh fish to sell. I asked him what kind of fish, in my broken Spanish, and he said “cabrillo,” however his pronunciation was poor or my understanding was poor (!) and I told him, “un momento,” and went down for a book. I brought it back up and showed him photos of “Pacific Fish” and he pointed out a seabass/grouper of some sort. I looked up the word in another book and he wholeheartedly agreed when I spoke the correct word. We negotiated a price and he won. Of course! What can I say, he brought it to our boat, filleted, skinned and cleaned! 100 pesos for a ½ kilo. (8 American dollars for 1 pound of fresh fish which will last us for three meals). Not bad. We fried some up in a panko batter, with coconut rice and had a great and simple onboard meal. He went to several other boats at anchor and was able to sell most of his fish, I think. I was hoping for langostinos (lobster), but maybe next time.

Back in La Paz, off to San Francisco

We arrived back in La Paz on May 11th, returning before we had planned as I received news that a dear close friend of mine, probably my bestest friend in San Francisco, was not doing well. My friend and colleague, Steve, had called me to let me know that although the bone cancer he had been battling for the past two years seemed to be in remission, it had moved on/metastasized (?) into his brain. The doctors were telling him that he only has 2-3 ½ months to live. He was devastated, as was I and we cried and talked and cried and talked on the phone. I told him I wanted to come see him while he was still alive, not at a funeral, and he said that he would really like for me to come. I called him back a few days later to see about the first week in June and whether I could stay in his neighbor’s flat, which he often rents out. Well, Steve’s partner, Randy answered Steve’s phone to tell me that he was not well, and that the progression was much faster than they had thought it would be. So I made arrangements to fly out on May 13th. I spent the next week as one of the volunteer friends/family who were taking shifts to care for Steve and to help out his partner, as well as Steve’s parents. The three of them were weary and in need of sleep and support, understandably so. I maintained some shifts, but was there most days, all day long, just doing whatever needed doing – sitting with Steve so others could eat or sleep, grinding and mixing “medicine cocktails,” changing sheets, massaging his legs or arms so he wouldn’t continually scratch them, helping to move him, talking and listening to him as he would enter these fugue-like states of lecturing, supervision or conducting sessions, as with patients. (Steve was also a psychologist and researcher, teacher and mentor, both at UCSF and at the San Francisco VA. He and I started working together at UC on the same day in 1998). It was hard to observe these times, but also touching and funny and sad. I felt very lucky and privileged to be there during that time, to be able to care for his body, even though his mind was not always there, and care for his family in the last weeks of his life. I got to know his family and friends in a way that I hadn’t previously. My heart is broken and full of sorrow, but I feel my life was enriched for having had Steve in my life for so many years. He was a brilliant man, and one of the kindest and warmest souls I’ve ever known.

So I am newly back to La Paz, again. Hiding down below, out of the 100 degree weather. I think the pool is calling….

Comments
Vessel Name: Two Shadows
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan 462 Ketch
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: Vanessa Kelly & Ron Chapel
About:
We have been living aboard for 14+ years in San Francisco Bay, but we are now preparing for an extended voyage in 2013 - to anywhere warmer than here! Our "crew" also consists of our two cats, Jackson and Samantha, a brother and sister pair of mutts we rescued from the SPCA about 4 years ago. [...]
Extra: Now living inland in Mexico and loving tierra firma again. Never regretted our sailing life though!
Two Shadows's Photos - Main
Local scenes, dogs, construction projects, architecture and gardens!
79 Photos
Created 30 October 2016
Photos from hikes, picnics, adventures, exploring this State and City of Guanajuato, Mexico
42 Photos
Created 2 February 2016
Photos of our house, before and in the transition, and of our marriage vow renewal ceremony.
45 Photos
Created 29 September 2015
Archeological site, tequila factory, and additional views of Guanajuato. Sorry, but many photos are out of order. They changed the system on me!
70 Photos
Created 29 June 2015
Various shots of the beautiful enchanting town, as well as a few of the rental house in which we are staying.
61 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
34 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
An assortment of photos from La Paz (Dia de los Muertos left-overs), crossing the sea again, La Cruz, Sayulita, and general life on the water!
81 Photos
Created 15 March 2015
Shots of town, people, rain, pets and the boat.
16 Photos
Created 12 October 2014
Various photos of sites about town - La Paz style
52 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
Photos around and after the Hurricane
17 Photos
Created 21 September 2014
This is prior to Hurricane Odile, or Odie, as we are referring to it.
6 Photos
Created 14 September 2014
Piedras y Pajaros is the name of this Stones and Birds Park. I love this little place, right in the middle of a block of small stores, tiny restaurants, and boarded up or fenced off properties.
10 Photos
Created 4 August 2014
Self-explanatory!
21 Photos
Created 31 July 2014
Photos town, the marina, and visiting local hospitals...
33 Photos
Created 24 June 2014
Shots from La Paz
20 Photos
Created 25 May 2014
"Officially" entering the Sea of Cortez, and photos of La Paz
118 Photos
Created 24 May 2014
More Mazatlan photos, pics of friends, and of my Birthday dinner and ride through town.
49 Photos
Created 14 April 2014
Shots at Stone Island, which is where we anchored after our 33 hour sail, before heading into a Mazatlan marina. We also have some older shots of the beautiful town of Mazatlan
66 Photos
Created 22 March 2014
Photos from our travels around Banderas Bay in February and March of 2014
74 Photos
Created 22 March 2014
Scenes around the small town of La Cruz and the larger town of PV
48 Photos
Created 5 February 2014
Banderas Bay, La Cruz and Puerto Vallarta
17 Photos
Created 16 January 2014
Exploring the town of San Blas, taking a Jungle tour, and sailing to Banderas Bay
113 Photos
Created 15 January 2014
Additional photos of beautiful Mazatlan, including a nature preserve
48 Photos
Created 12 January 2014
Exploring Mazatlán with visiting friends and on our own. Many were taken with my cell phone, so please forgive me for the quality!
60 Photos
Created 11 December 2013
Leaving Cabo San Lucas for the small town of San Jose and on to the remote bay of Los Frailes
35 Photos
Created 25 November 2013
From Santa Maria Bay to Cabo San Lucas
32 Photos
Created 14 November 2013
Further adventures down the Baja Peninsula
47 Photos
Created 12 November 2013
This includes photos from the pre-sail events through the first leg to Turtle Bay Mexico.
54 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
18 Photos
Created 21 October 2013
Newport beach shots
8 Photos
Created 3 October 2013
46 Photos
Created 23 September 2013
San Luis Obispo, rounding Point Conception, Santa Barbara and on to Oxnard, CA
33 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
Photos of the trip south to Morro Bay, and a few of the scenes here.
30 Photos
Created 5 September 2013
12 Photos
Created 29 August 2013
11 Photos
Created 24 August 2013
Leaving Sausalito, out the Gate to Half Moon Bay
18 Photos
Created 17 August 2013
14 Photos
Created 9 July 2013
2 Photos
Created 25 December 2012
Due to our old refrigeration failure, we were forced to remove and replace the refrigeration which, as they say on a boat, led to a complete remodel.
20 Photos
Created 16 December 2012
12 Photos
Created 15 December 2012