The Tale of Two Shadows

31 October 2016 | Guanajuato, MX
02 February 2016 | Guanajuato, Mexico
29 September 2015 | Guanajuato, Mexico
29 June 2015 | Guanajuato, Mexico
16 May 2015 | Guanajuato, Mexico
05 May 2015 | Guanajuato, Mexico
24 March 2015 | La Paz, MX
15 March 2015 | La Cruz, MX
22 January 2015 | La Cruz, MX
29 November 2014 | La Paz, MX
12 October 2014 | La Paz, MX
20 September 2014 | La Paz, MX
14 September 2014 | La Paz, MX
04 August 2014 | La Paz, MX
31 July 2014 | La Paz, MX
24 June 2014 | La Paz, MX
24 May 2014 | La Paz, MX
14 April 2014 | Mazatlan
22 March 2014 | Mazatlán
06 February 2014 | La Cruz anchorage

Getting To Know Guanajuato

29 June 2015 | Guanajuato, Mexico
Vanessa Kelly
Hi there! We have been in Guanajuato for two months now, and been busier than we could have imagined on most days, between exploring the town (on foot), and Spanish classes and meeting people, I haven’t had much time to write. Today we returned from a walk to the little tiendas nearby, one for fruit and vegies, one for tortillas, and one for some newspapers to help start a fire in the fireplace. It has been rather cool and rainy lately, more days than not for the past two weeks, as the rainy season has begun. The tortillas are for tacos we are making tonight, and were freshly made and warm. A half-kilo (1 lb) cost 6 pesos, or about 3-4 cents U.S. For a pound! We actually spent 14 pesos and got a cup full of their homemade salsa to go with our tacos; so a whopping 9 cents. We are continually amazed by the prices here in the central part of Mexico, not so in the coastal resort towns.

We have also found ourselves adapting to the local hours of comida; hours of eating. Breakfast is usually light and before our Spanish classes (10-1:00). Then we walk around a little in town, run errands, and find a place for our main meal of the day (Comida). That is often eaten between 2-4pm and is usually large, including a soup or salad, main plate, and a light dessert. Ron and I have found that we can still easily split this meal, which is often under $9-10 dollars US. Then we have a lighter dinner at around 7 or 8, if we eat at all at night. The other night we picked up two small chicken tacos, and two small cheese enchiladas from a neighbor who sets up a stand outside her door on the weekend evenings. They were snack size for dinner and cost us a total of 20 pesos (they were actually 15, but I tipped her 5 pesos), which comes to $1.30 US. That was our dinner!

The Spanish school has been great here. Escuela Mexicana, is in an old colonial building in the historic area of Guanajuato. We get to choose our class schedule and they are quite good at placing you in the right level for your skills. They also plan at least three additional classes outside the school each week, expanding our cultural knowledge and experience. One day we went to a coffee shop, ordered our drinks and played a board game, all in español. We have also taken cooking classes at the school, one day making chili relleños, another Pozole Verde soup. Both were delicioso and we have made the pozole on our own. I had never eaten it until we shared a meal after the class. We also took an all-day Saturday trip to a prehispanic Mesoamerican archaeological site by the name of Peralta, which was fascinating, as well as visiting a tequila fabrica (factory). The site was settled around 100 A.D., and still contains 2-3 pyramids. The tequila factory was the Tequilera Corralejo factory. It is actually an old hacienda and the birthplace of Father Miguel Hidalgo, the main leader in the Spanish Revolution against Spain in 1810. The grounds and buildings were beautifully restored with colorful old tiles, and lots of trees and flowering shrubs on the property. The owner of the tequila hacienda is a collector of EVERYTHING, including antique typewriters, sewing machines, movie posters, radios, wines and liqueurs, canned drink and juice cans from around the world. That in itself was worth the visit. I have included photos of this fascinating day. You will see that old bottles were used in the walls and ceilings to make patterns and allow natural light to flow into the interior spaces. That is one thing I so appreciate about Mexico: the appreciation, attention, and creativity put into most buildings, casas, sidewalks, pathways, and stone walls. We have been told by many people that the masons are given permission to use their own creativity in their work, so that each “piece,” house, etc., becomes a work of art. They even give out free paint to the owners of buildings or houses in the Historic Centro areas of Guanajuato, so that they will continue the theme of colorful houses that attract the tourists.

One of the best parts of that day is that a student didn’t show up even though he had signed up and paid, so the “chofer” (driver) had only Ron and me in his car. As we were driving through town he pulled over and picked up a woman and young girl (13 yr-old). He didn’t say anything about it, and we were both silently wondering what the deal was, but he finally said that we were dropping off the young girl at her gymnasium (again, all in Spanish), and that she was his daughter. His wife stayed in the car and we finally communicated enough to understand that she was going with us on the tour. This is one of those things that would NEVER happen in the U.S. She had never seen these ruins and wanted to go, and it turns out the driver, Hector, had never been there either, even though he indicated he had. (See # 3 in Lessons Learned). We really enjoyed the two of them and stopped for lunch at a buffet restaurant, buying their lunch and ours for approximately $5.50 U.S., and this was a huge buffet! Anyway, Hector and Patricia have become friends of ours and we have shared other meals with them since, having them and their daughter, Amber, a budding gymnast and veterinarian, to dinner at our place. Hector speaks some English – probably more than he lets on, but encourages us to speak Spanish, “NO! Tell me in Spanish!” His wife and daughter really don’t speak English at all, but we all get along well. We seem to run into them in town all the time, greeting each other with hugs and cheek kisses, the norm here in Mexico. We have also met a group of expats, sharing a dinner or lunch here and there, and look forward to meeting more people in general.

I think I mentioned the callejónes (steeply slanted alley/stairway) that we walk to get into down. I counted one day, and there are 300 steps down AND UP, not including 10 - 12 ramps with at least a 30% slant. We have both lost weight, just from walking around this town, and feel our legs getting stronger every day. We don’t climb back up the steps every day, as they start getting to my new knee, and the other one from trying to compensate, and the taxi is only 40-45 pesos ($2.50 – 2.90). We have really fallen in love with this town, especially now, after finding a genuine French bakery, health food stores, a lavanderia which will wash, dry and fold our clothes for less than $7.00, and a tailor, who is also very reasonable.

Lessons Learned:
Never leave the wheelbarrow on the callejóne parallel to the slope with anything heavy in it. Ron picked up two 5-gallon bottles of water (used for drinking as the municipal water is not potable/drinkable). He parked the wheelbarrow outside our gate, and picked up one jug to bring in. At that moment the wheelbarrow tipped over, the other 5-gallon jug rolled out and began its cavorting, bouncing, rolling and bumping journey down the callejone, like a giant bowling ball, searching out people-sized pins to knock down and children to flatten. Ron tossed the other jug to me, and took off after the bowling ball jug. Three little viceno (neighbor) girls and boys burst out in laughter and giggles to see the gringo spectacle. Luckily no one was hit, and the jug finally bounced up against a stone wall and busted, water gushing out until it was depleted. Ron came back up the alley with his head down, and cursing slightly. I glanced over at the children with their wide brown eyes and I said, “muy divertida, sí?” (Very funny, yes?) but they just stared at me, knowing that he was not happy. I tried to get them to smile, but I think they knew better than to do that. They are really adorable kids, who find great fun playing with a plastic bowl, and plastic step turned upside down on their heads, which they use as the bull in their games of chase. These kids have nothing, but their parents are very loving with them, very attentive, and braid their beautiful thick black hair in the most intricate patterns imaginable. They are always smiling… except when the gringos are upset.

Ask when you rent an Airbnb or a VRBO whether they have a door on the bathroom, or water features inside the house when it rains, at least here in Mexico. I actually think the house we rented is not the norm, but no, we don’t have a door, we have a curtain across the bathroom doorway, making for little privacy, particularly when we have company. And the dining room develops 5-6 rainspouts during heavy rains, which we discovered happen daily in the rainy season here. We don’t mind the rains, but we do mind having to move the dining table out of the room every evening. However, I must say, the thunderstorms with their accompanying lightning have been spectacular. Not nearly as scary as when we are on the boat, with two big aluminum lightning rods (also called masts) sticking up in the air!

It is not uncommon for Mexicans to avoid telling you “negative” things. We had read this in a book by an American recently (a great book by the name of “This is Mexico: Tales of Culture and Other Complications,”) and we have since found this out on our own. It is not common for them to criticize each other or you, particularly if they are working for you or hold you in a position of authority in some way. When we asked the driver of our tour (to the ruins) whether he had been there before, he enthusiastically said, “Oh, sí!,” but when we actually found the place after he had to ask a few people on the streets for directions, he said he had never been there before. That is just one example of us experiencing this phenomenon. Sometimes we just get very vague responses. We are so used to being straight with others, I’m sure we seem a little confrontational or harsh at times. We are learning, and that is what this life is about, huh?

Relationships are relationships are relationships. There is less of a fine line between “business” relationships and friendships. Maybe this is more common in the smaller towns and cities, and not so in Mexico City; I don’t know. But I do know that asking about family, giving and receiving hugs from a doctor, or a teacher, and others is the norm. it is something that I used to hear from my Spanish-speaking colleagues, about therapy being a little different with people from Mexico, and other Latin-American and South American countries, and here (as in Mazatlán), I have experienced this on my own. You don’t just jump in immediately and address the business at hand, you get to know the person on a different level. And I really like that.

Well, I think that is it for now. The cats are continuing to enjoy their life “in the wilds” of the courtyard. Jackson climbed a tree for the first time in his life, then panicked as he had no idea how to get down. They have also become fond of butterflies, moths, and a hammock. We tossed them in it one day, and they seemed to enjoy it, and now we find then jumping up on it various time of the day, and hanging out there.

I hope to add another post soon, with another important event in our lives, but we are on hold about that right now. I will let you know!

Con mucho amor,
Vanessa Y Ron
Comments
Vessel Name: Two Shadows
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan 462 Ketch
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: Vanessa Kelly & Ron Chapel
About:
We have been living aboard for 14+ years in San Francisco Bay, but we are now preparing for an extended voyage in 2013 - to anywhere warmer than here! Our "crew" also consists of our two cats, Jackson and Samantha, a brother and sister pair of mutts we rescued from the SPCA about 4 years ago. [...]
Extra: Now living inland in Mexico and loving tierra firma again. Never regretted our sailing life though!
Two Shadows's Photos - Main
Local scenes, dogs, construction projects, architecture and gardens!
79 Photos
Created 30 October 2016
Photos from hikes, picnics, adventures, exploring this State and City of Guanajuato, Mexico
42 Photos
Created 2 February 2016
Photos of our house, before and in the transition, and of our marriage vow renewal ceremony.
45 Photos
Created 29 September 2015
Archeological site, tequila factory, and additional views of Guanajuato. Sorry, but many photos are out of order. They changed the system on me!
70 Photos
Created 29 June 2015
Various shots of the beautiful enchanting town, as well as a few of the rental house in which we are staying.
61 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
34 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
An assortment of photos from La Paz (Dia de los Muertos left-overs), crossing the sea again, La Cruz, Sayulita, and general life on the water!
81 Photos
Created 15 March 2015
Shots of town, people, rain, pets and the boat.
16 Photos
Created 12 October 2014
Various photos of sites about town - La Paz style
52 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
Photos around and after the Hurricane
17 Photos
Created 21 September 2014
This is prior to Hurricane Odile, or Odie, as we are referring to it.
6 Photos
Created 14 September 2014
Piedras y Pajaros is the name of this Stones and Birds Park. I love this little place, right in the middle of a block of small stores, tiny restaurants, and boarded up or fenced off properties.
10 Photos
Created 4 August 2014
Self-explanatory!
21 Photos
Created 31 July 2014
Photos town, the marina, and visiting local hospitals...
33 Photos
Created 24 June 2014
Shots from La Paz
20 Photos
Created 25 May 2014
"Officially" entering the Sea of Cortez, and photos of La Paz
118 Photos
Created 24 May 2014
More Mazatlan photos, pics of friends, and of my Birthday dinner and ride through town.
49 Photos
Created 14 April 2014
Shots at Stone Island, which is where we anchored after our 33 hour sail, before heading into a Mazatlan marina. We also have some older shots of the beautiful town of Mazatlan
66 Photos
Created 22 March 2014
Photos from our travels around Banderas Bay in February and March of 2014
74 Photos
Created 22 March 2014
Scenes around the small town of La Cruz and the larger town of PV
48 Photos
Created 5 February 2014
Banderas Bay, La Cruz and Puerto Vallarta
17 Photos
Created 16 January 2014
Exploring the town of San Blas, taking a Jungle tour, and sailing to Banderas Bay
113 Photos
Created 15 January 2014
Additional photos of beautiful Mazatlan, including a nature preserve
48 Photos
Created 12 January 2014
Exploring Mazatlán with visiting friends and on our own. Many were taken with my cell phone, so please forgive me for the quality!
60 Photos
Created 11 December 2013
Leaving Cabo San Lucas for the small town of San Jose and on to the remote bay of Los Frailes
35 Photos
Created 25 November 2013
From Santa Maria Bay to Cabo San Lucas
32 Photos
Created 14 November 2013
Further adventures down the Baja Peninsula
47 Photos
Created 12 November 2013
This includes photos from the pre-sail events through the first leg to Turtle Bay Mexico.
54 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
18 Photos
Created 21 October 2013
Newport beach shots
8 Photos
Created 3 October 2013
46 Photos
Created 23 September 2013
San Luis Obispo, rounding Point Conception, Santa Barbara and on to Oxnard, CA
33 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
Photos of the trip south to Morro Bay, and a few of the scenes here.
30 Photos
Created 5 September 2013
12 Photos
Created 29 August 2013
11 Photos
Created 24 August 2013
Leaving Sausalito, out the Gate to Half Moon Bay
18 Photos
Created 17 August 2013
14 Photos
Created 9 July 2013
2 Photos
Created 25 December 2012
Due to our old refrigeration failure, we were forced to remove and replace the refrigeration which, as they say on a boat, led to a complete remodel.
20 Photos
Created 16 December 2012
12 Photos
Created 15 December 2012