Vanish - Making The Switch From Sail to Power

29 October 2016 | Georgia, USA
29 October 2016 | Georgia, USA
08 October 2016 | Brunswick, Georgia, USA
07 October 2016 | Hotel on West Side of Hwy I-95, Brunswick, GA, USA
07 October 2016 | Brunswick, Georgia, USA
06 October 2016 | Brunswick, Georgia, USA
05 October 2016 | Brunswick, Georgia, USA
04 October 2016 | Photo off Outer Banks near Cape Lookout, North Carolina.
27 September 2016 | Piankatank River, Chesapeake Bay, Virginia, USA
22 September 2016 | Current Position - Sassafras River, Chesapeake Bay, Maryland, USA
16 September 2016 | Orient, Long Island, New York, USA
11 September 2016 | Ebenecook Harbor near Boothbay Harbor, Maine, USA
07 September 2016 | Penobscot Bay, Maine, USA
05 September 2016 | Penobscot Bay, Maine, USA
04 September 2016 | North Haven, Vinalhaven, Maine, USA
28 August 2016 | Castine, Maine, USA
27 August 2016 | Belfast, Maine, USA
12 August 2016 | Mount Washington, New Hampshire, USA
06 August 2016 | Canada/USA Border Crossing
04 August 2016 | La Malbaie, Quebec, Canada

Oh Come On!

04 October 2016 | Photo off Outer Banks near Cape Lookout, North Carolina.
Vicki – Currently Brunswick, GA, Air 25 deg C, Many Heavy Rain Showers, Humid, 8/8 Cloud
We woke early after little sleep last Wednesday 28th September and checked the hurricane forecast once again. We saw that Brunswick, Georgia, which is located the furthest west along the east coast of the USA was not expected to be in the projected cone for Hurricane Matthew as it would be passing out to sea. However, it appeared it would most likely pass over Cape Hatteras and move on into the Chesapeake Bay then turn towards New Jersey and the New York area. On that information, we departed on sunrise which was at 0700 under overcast skies. It wasn't going to be smooth sailing though as we had to face headwinds and lumpy seas until we were past Cape Hatteras. As we headed out, we saw on Marine Traffic that only one other cruiser, a Nordhavn, was moving south at sea 40 miles ahead of us. Others were powering down the ICW in order to escape Chesapeake Bay. It was a very lonely trip.

During part of the day we were accompanied by a US aircraft carrier USNS "Carson City" performing exercises with helicopter landings and takeoffs. They repeatedly announced that all vessels were to maintain a 3 NM limit which we did. For some reason, I am always the one on watch rounding Cape Hatteras and it always occurs around midnight on dark nights. This time, lightning streaked across the sky from storm cells which kept popping up in the extremely humid unstable air. I saw the Cape Hatteras Light and red tower to starboard and a cargo ship named "Spirit of Melbourne" which reminded me of home heading south on our port side. Our watches were roughly 4 hours on, 4 hours off and engine checks every hour.

We ran Vanish with both engines and air conditioning the entire time to keep ourselves comfortable and moving along at 8 to 9 knots. We had a constant counter current of 1 kn which slowed us down a little. The seas from Norfolk, Virginia to Cape Hatteras were not my favourite as the swells were 1.5 meters from the east and wind from the south-east. Once we turned the corner and changed course 50 degrees to the SW, the boat motion definitely improved. As the sun rose, the sea had become quite glassy with picture perfect 'popcorn 'storm clouds. We ducked into Cape Lookout and anchored next to a British yacht we had last seen on the Choptank River in the Chesapeake. The night was calm and quiet with no rain or thunderstorms but in my opinion, Cape Lookout is a vortex for the very worst weather it can gather. As we raised the anchor in the near dark on Friday, 30th September, a slight breeze arrived with a few spits of rain. The radar showed relentless severe storms and heavy rain all day at Cape Lookout after we left. For us, the day turned into episodes of drenching rain with headwinds to 28 kn followed by lulls of 8 kn and waves going everywhere. About 10 miles south of Cape Lookout, another US warship appeared. I was off watch at the time. The radio operator came on hailing Vanish and asked what our intentions were. Well, Maynard could have said he hoped he would live to be 100, be fat and happy with a dozen dancing nymphets. Or he could have said he intended having a rum and coke when he arrived back in Georgia, but was having a few tic tacs instead. He could have given so many excellent answers but he said something I certainly didn't think of. He said, "I intend holding my course," to which the warship answered, "Good. We'll pass behind you." This is why he is the Captain and I am the First Mate/Jokster I guess.

The stabilisers were working hard from Cape Lookout, NC past Cape Fear, NC. Some waves would double up causing a dip in the ocean which the bow would drop into, sometimes up to 5 ft but Vanish just kept rolling along easily at 10 kn. Spray would hit the bow and swirl off up over the bridge, but once past Cape Fear with another 20 deg turn towards the south-west in deeper water with less current, the seas started to finally behave. We saw a number of vessels head into shore through a secret shallow entrance north of Cape Fear, then pass Cape Fear on the ICW then head back out to sea. We didn't know this back door route and went past all capes at sea.

Again off Charleston, I was on watch at 2.30 a.m. I don't like passing Charleston at night as there is so much shipping to contend with. Maynard came up to do his watch and we both noticed that the lead red light into the Charleston channel was out. This was the second time we'd seen a major navigation light not working in the last week. I had also passed an unlit fishing buoy well out to sea and am so thankful for radar and excellent charts. There is no time to be complacent at sea as it is a full-time job tracking vessels, watching weather, checking boat systems and ensuring all is clear ahead both on the FLIR camera and the charts. We never play tv, radio or music at night as it is too distracting.

We arrived at Brunswick on Saturday 1st October around 6pm and tied up with not a soul to be seen in the marina at the time which was ok as we easily dock Vanish by ourselves. We'd travelled 600 miles since leaving the Chesapeake in 3 days with one overnight stop. In all, we have travelled 3,000 miles this cruising season so far. Considering it is just the two of us onboard, we feel happy with this achievement and know we have a much better handle on each other's jobs and capabilities.

Unfortunately, the computer models have shifted Hurricane Matthew closer to the east coast of the USA and Brunswick, GA is well in the cone of this storm. The storm has taken longer to arrive than expected, and in that time, the wind sheer has lessened allowing it to bobble more towards the west. The below GFS Ensemble shows the latest tracks of Hurricane Matthew.

Latest GFS model showing likely tracks for Hurricane Matthew.

We knew the models could change but we are very disappointed that we might be caught up in this storm. There are tens of thousands of boats along the coast of Florida, Georgia, North and South Carolina that will all be affected. The Brunswick Landing Marina is nearly full here today. Last night at Happy Hour at the marina, 40 of us all talked about the prospects for our vessels and where we would go if we could go anywhere. Everyone thought we were in the best location so here we stay. The storm is expected to arrive on Friday. We have rented a car but if we have storm surge of as little as 3 ft on a high tide, the car will be inundated in the carpark as the area is dead flat. The car is our ultimate escape but it's no use if it's under water. I am not looking forward to the decisions ahead.

(I will be posting each day until this situation is behind us so please keep checking for further updates. See Photo Gallery for more pictures. Please feel free to comment as we always love your feedback. Don't be shy.)
Comments
Vessel Name: Vanish
Vessel Make/Model: Marlow Voyager 76LR
Hailing Port: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Crew: Maynard and Vicki
Home Page: sailblogs.com/member/vanish
Vanish's Photos - Main
Brunswick, Georgia, USA
10 Photos
Created 29 October 2016
Post Hurricane Matthew, Brunswick, GA, USA
15 Photos
Created 8 October 2016
Brunswick, GA Hurricane Matthew
4 Photos
Created 7 October 2016
Hurricane Matthew
5 Photos
Created 6 October 2016
Brunswick, Georgia, USA
10 Photos
Created 5 October 2016
Chesapeake Bay, VA to Brunswick, GA
15 Photos
Created 4 October 2016
New York to Maryland, USA
10 Photos
Created 22 September 2016
Maine to Long Island, USA
20 Photos
Created 16 September 2016
Maine, USA
8 Photos
Created 11 September 2016
Penobscot Bay, Maine, USA
3 Photos
Created 7 September 2016
Penobscot Bay, Maine, USA
3 Photos
Created 7 September 2016
Vinalhaven, Penobscot Bay, Maine, USA
5 Photos
Created 4 September 2016
Maine, USA
5 Photos
Created 28 August 2016
Maine, USA
15 Photos
Created 27 August 2016
New Hampshire to Maine, USA
20 Photos
Created 22 August 2016
Canada/USA Border
13 Photos
Created 21 August 2016
Saguaney to La Malbaie, Quebec, Canada
28 Photos
Created 20 August 2016
Quebec, Canada
19 Photos
Created 14 August 2016
3 Photos
Created 26 July 2016
Penobscot Bay, Maine, USA
11 Photos
Created 19 July 2016
Maine, USA
4 Photos
Created 7 July 2016
Camden, Maine, USA
2 Photos
Created 6 July 2016
Maine, USA
9 Photos
Created 3 July 2016
Boothbay, Maine, SA.
10 Photos
Created 2 July 2016
Ebenecook Harbour, near Southport, Maine, USA
7 Photos
Created 2 July 2016
Maine, USA
5 Photos
Created 27 June 2016
Rhode Island to Maine, USA
17 Photos
Created 19 June 2016
16 Photos
Created 12 June 2016
Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island, USA
9 Photos
Created 11 June 2016
Noyack Bay, nr Sag Harbor, Long Island, New York
7 Photos
Created 11 June 2016
Kicked out by Tropical Storm Bonnie
11 Photos
Created 9 June 2016
Cape Lookout, North Carolina, USA
8 Photos
Created 7 June 2016
Georgia, USA
10 Photos
Created 27 October 2015
North Carolina to Georgia, USA
4 Photos
Created 27 September 2015
North Carolina, USA
4 Photos
Created 25 September 2015
New York to North Carolina, USA
7 Photos
Created 18 September 2015
New York to North Carolina, USA
11 Photos
Created 18 September 2015
Eatons Neck, Long Island, New York, USA
2 Photos
Created 16 September 2015
Massachusetts and Long Island, New York, USA
9 Photos
Created 16 September 2015
Maine to Massachusetts, USA
11 Photos
Created 9 September 2015
Maine, USA
34 Photos
Created 31 August 2015
Maine, USA
18 Photos
Created 6 August 2015
Belfast, Maine, USA
14 Photos
Created 31 July 2015
Maine, USA
17 Photos
Created 7 July 2015
Maine, USA
5 Photos
Created 28 June 2015
Maine, USA
4 Photos
Created 27 June 2015
Massachusetts, USA
9 Photos
Created 23 June 2015
Norfolk, Virginia to Mattapoisett, Massachussets, USA
16 Photos
Created 17 June 2015
ICW Beaufort, North Carolina, to Norfolk, Virginia, USA
16 Photos
Created 12 June 2015
Beaufort, North Carolina, USA
7 Photos
Created 8 June 2015
2015 Brunswick, Georgia to Beaufort, North Carolina
12 Photos
Created 4 June 2015
USA 2014
18 Photos
Created 12 September 2014
South Carolina, USA
6 Photos
Created 17 May 2014
South Carolina, USA
8 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
Bahamas
7 Photos
Created 7 May 2014
The Bahamas
7 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
End of Year 2013
6 Photos
Created 30 December 2013
Bahamas
11 Photos
Created 15 December 2013
Exumas, Bahamas
3 Photos
Created 7 December 2013
Panama to Bahamas
17 Photos
Created 1 December 2013
Jamaica
12 Photos
Created 25 November 2013
Jamaica
13 Photos
Created 23 November 2013
Panama
4 Photos
Created 19 November 2013
Bocas del Toro, Panama
17 Photos
Created 13 November 2013
Bocas del Toro Region, Panama
19 Photos
Created 4 November 2013
Panama
3 Photos
Created 26 October 2013
Bocas del Toro, Panama
24 Photos
Created 21 October 2013
Bocas del Toro, Panama
1 Photo
Created 16 October 2013
Panama
5 Photos
Created 15 October 2013
Panama
7 Photos
Created 11 October 2013
Panama
21 Photos
Created 10 October 2013
Kuna Yala, Panama
11 Photos
Created 9 October 2013
Panama
6 Photos
Created 9 October 2013
Kuna Yala, Panama San Blas Islands
11 Photos
Created 9 October 2013
San Blas Islands, Panama
7 Photos
Created 13 September 2013
Santa Marta, Colombia
9 Photos
Created 8 September 2013
Colombia
6 Photos
Created 28 August 2013
Colombia, South America
25 Photos
Created 26 May 2013
Colombia, South America
13 Photos
Created 19 May 2013
Dominican Republic
20 Photos
Created 13 May 2013
Exploring the Interior of the Dominican Republic
26 Photos
Created 24 April 2013
Samana Bay to La Romana, Dominican Republic
12 Photos
Created 19 April 2013
Samana Bay, Dominican Republic
11 Photos
Created 12 April 2013
Samana Bay, Dominican Republic
10 Photos
Created 10 April 2013
Dominican Republic
12 Photos
Created 5 April 2013
Turks & Caicos
10 Photos
Created 25 March 2013
Exumas, The Bahamas
8 Photos
Created 19 March 2013
Exuma, The Bahamas
21 Photos
Created 15 March 2013
Exuma, The Bahamas
20 Photos
Created 12 March 2013
Exumas, The Bahamas
7 Photos
Created 8 March 2013
Exhumas, The Bahamas
11 Photos
Created 5 March 2013
Eleuthera
30 Photos
Created 1 March 2013
Eleuthera, The Bahamas
12 Photos
Created 25 February 2013
Eleuthera
12 Photos
Created 22 February 2013
Eleuthera, The Bahamas
3 Photos
Created 21 February 2013
Abacos, Bahamas
15 Photos
Created 19 February 2013
4 Photos
Created 17 February 2013
Grand Bahama to Abacos
5 Photos
Created 15 February 2013
8 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
Elbow Reef Lighthouse, Hope Town, Abaco, The Bahamas
35 Photos
Created 29 November 2012
Hopetown, Elbow Cay, Abaco, The Bahamas
2 Photos
Created 28 November 2012
Abacos, The Bahamas
14 Photos
Created 18 November 2012
Bahamas
4 Photos
Created 15 November 2012
The Bahamas
43 Photos
Created 25 October 2012
Hurricane Sandy in the Bahamas
9 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
USA to Bahamas
8 Photos
Created 21 October 2012
North Carolina, USA
4 Photos
Created 15 October 2012
North Carolina, USA
2 Photos
Created 13 October 2012
16 Photos
Created 7 October 2012
Barden Inlet, North Carolina, USA
8 Photos
Created 5 October 2012
Barden Inlet, Nr Beaufort, North Carolina, USA
4 Photos
Created 4 October 2012
Cape Lookout Area near Beaufort, North Carolina, USA
5 Photos
Created 2 October 2012
New York Area, USA
14 Photos
Created 28 September 2012
New York State of Mind, USA
13 Photos
Created 27 September 2012
Long Island, New York, USA
10 Photos
Created 25 September 2012
Boston to New York, USA
4 Photos
Created 25 September 2012
Maine to Massachusetts, USA
6 Photos
Created 20 September 2012
Quahog Bay, Maine, USA
7 Photos
Created 19 September 2012
Snow Island, Maine, USA
10 Photos
Created 18 September 2012
Snow Island, Quahog Bay, Maine, USA
5 Photos
Created 16 September 2012
Portland, Maine, USA
7 Photos
Created 15 September 2012
Smith Cove, Castine, Maine, USA
6 Photos
Created 8 September 2012
Pulpitt Harbor, Maine, USA
6 Photos
Created 6 September 2012
Rockland, Maine to Trafton Island, Maine, USA
14 Photos
Created 3 September 2012
Heading North from Rockland Again
7 Photos
Created 30 August 2012
Orcutt Harbor and Horseshoe Cove areas, Maine, USA
2 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
7 Photos
Created 22 August 2012
12 Photos
Created 21 August 2012
Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
16 Photos
Created 18 August 2012
2 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
6 Photos
Created 13 August 2012
12 Photos
Created 12 August 2012
Roque Island Harbor, Maine, USA
8 Photos
Created 10 August 2012
Near Bar Harbor, Maine, USA
3 Photos
Created 7 August 2012
Somes Sound, Mt Desert Island to Bar Harbor, Mt Desert Island in Maine, USA
16 Photos
Created 6 August 2012
Vinalhaven to Somes Sound, Maine
21 Photos
Created 2 August 2012
Pictures from Seal Cove, Vinalhaven, Maine, USA
4 Photos
Created 29 July 2012
Rockland, Maine and Matinicus Rock, Maine, USA
15 Photos
Created 28 July 2012
Storm over Portland, Maine, USA
1 Photo
Created 25 July 2012
Portland, Maine to The Basin, Phippsburg, Maine, USA
22 Photos
Created 20 July 2012
Anchorage view from House Island, South Portland, Maine, USA
4 Photos
Created 18 July 2012
Boston, Massachusetts to Portland, Maine, USA
8 Photos
Created 16 July 2012
New York to Boston
7 Photos
Created 13 July 2012
Chesapeake Bay to New York City
22 Photos
Created 7 July 2012
Chesapeake Bay - Virginia & Maryland, USA
3 Photos
Created 30 June 2012
Miami to Virginia
17 Photos
Created 27 June 2012