Cruising with Vida Dulce

22 October 2020
04 September 2020 | Loggerhead Marina, Hollywood, FL
22 August 2020 | Hollywood, FL
20 August 2020 | Greenville, AL
18 March 2020
09 March 2020 | Isla Mujeres, MX
29 February 2020 | Isla Mujeres, MX
14 February 2020 | Isla Mujeres, MX
14 February 2020 | Isla Mujeres, MX
13 February 2020
22 January 2020 | Isla Mujeres, MX
10 January 2020 | Isla Mujeres, MX
06 January 2020 | Isla Mujeres, MX
04 January 2020 | Islan Mujeres, MX
31 December 2019 | Isla Mujeres, MX
30 December 2019 | Isla Mujeres, MX
29 December 2019 | Isla Mujeres, MX
28 December 2019 | Isla Cozumel MX
26 December 2019 | Cay Caulker, BZ
25 December 2019 | Bluefield Range Cays

You Don’t Control The Top of the List

23 October 2015 | Rio Dulce, Guatemala
Susan / mostly sunny, 90 degrees F, humid
It's been a week of ups and downs; basically a typical week of returning to the boat and getting unpacked, systems running, and starting on the list of things to be done before this year's cruising season can commence.

Guatemala customs gave us a bit of trouble coming in, which is unusual. Our flight was the last one in for the evening and probably the agents needed something to justify their existences or keep from getting bored. Two of our checked bags were flagged for inspection. Jerry did his best to explain yacht-in-transit equipment but this agent wasn't budging. In the end, US $65 was the duty. On the balance, they didn't open the one carry-on bag with the expensive electronics.

Back at the marina the following afternoon, 3:30pm or so, it was great to reconnect with friends already here and to see longtime marina staff. Vida Dulce was clean & being aired-out as we arrived. It's good to be home.

Good even though we're greeted with our first priority project - an add to the already long long list - the master head spewing liquid at the base upon flushing. ;-( We're relatively close to the marina bathrooms and use them regularly so not a huge deal other than it all needs to be cleaned up before happy hour with friends can get underway.

Good even though the next day, after Jerry has rebuilt the master head, he discovers the sticky steering cable on the dinghy is now really stuck, making the dinghy unusable. Yep, second priority project not on the list. A steering cable is long and not coil-able; honestly too long to have brought it in even if we'd known in advance. Without a dingy, we're without a way to get to the bank to change money, get supplies, pick up the packages we had shipped in,... And oh another thing, the hot water heater tripped its breaker so no hot water; this is less of a priority given that we're taking showers at the marina facilities and laundry can wait. We take our minds off these latest challenges by watching the Seahawks game in the marina lounge (even found an English-speaking channel!) but that too ended in tears. Well, not literal tears; call it deep disappointment.

On Monday morning, our friends Mike & Kim, s/v Ka'imi, invite us to join them on a dinghy run to town. Plus they'll run us by the other shops where we may find the needed steering cable. There's lots of lanchas & power boats of all sizes here, and it's a common size for outboards; however experience tells us to not expect to locate one. First stop, nada. Second stop, nada. Mike suggests we stop by the Yamaha dealer / shop, a shop we didn't even know existed. We do... and they have it!! OMG We try not to get too excited until installation is complete, yet it's the first positive turn of events in a couple of days. Back on Vida Dulce after the other errands, Jerry gets to work. The part fits; it works! We now have a minimally functional dinghy. He still has the electrical panel replacement work to do however daytime use is now possible. With that, we pick up the packages we'd shipped in including one surprise - the giant, custom-cut sailbag zipper we'd flown here in November as to not delay progress on our replacement sailbag cover hadn't been picked up. Jerry calls Elmer and sure enough, his crew hasn't even started on it. All in, we call Monday a success: we have a working dinghy, we have food, we have beer, we have our shipped parts, tramps & fabric, and we have friends with which to enjoy happy hour.

The balance of the week is mostly forward progress.

Garmin VHF 200 radio: Installation goes without a hitch, slipping into the space the Raymarine VHF was previously. Lots of features, including integration with the Garmin chartplotters. For the remote, we have two charging stations, one at the helm and one in the master bedroom. I sure hope this Gamin remote works better than the Raymarine one did. Being on passage without a reliable radio at the helm is not optimal.

Trampolines
At first blush we're very happy with the new trampolines by Sunrise Yacht Products; the cadet gray is the color I expected, and they appear to be of sturdy construction.

In this picture, the port side is the original trampoline: white (yep, white at the beginning) poly net, 40% openness. Starboard side is the new Sunrise Yacht Product trampoline: vinyl coated 1" webbing, 1-1/2" ave hole size, 44% openness.
new tramp, starboard side

With both sides installed it's such a nice upgrade (safety & appearance); makes me smile every time I look at it. ;-)

Outdoor Cushions
Elmer & crew pick up the outdoor cushions (which were stored inside while we were away) after making sure they saw them in place and mark them for location & sequence. They also take the new cushion materials and sailbag zipper. Elmer said his crew is working on the mainsail repairs and sailbag cover now. ETA for completion of the cushions is 3 weeks, which works just fine for our schedule. It's nice to get them all off Vida Dulce, freeing up inside space for projects.

In a surprise visit, Elmer, his project manager and interpreter arrive Thursday morning with the first set of cushions; the forward cocktail-table ones. They look great, especially with the new trampoline. We expect the sail & sailbag early next week.

Hot Water Heater
Midweek Jerry turns on the breaker and after a bit hot water runs from the taps. Love a non-action fix!

Port Diesel Engine
We brought in a replacement water pump for the port diesel engine - one of the items we paid duty on - however when Jerry does more investigation it appears the issue is the alternator. Well.., it could be there are two issues. In any case it's clear that alternator is seized up. Luckily we receive a recommendation from Mike for another cruiser here, Roger, who rebuilds them. Jerry contacts him, and in our Thursday AM run-about we drop it off to him. A week or so is the estimate.

That's it for week one of our 2015-16 cruising season.
Comments
Vessel Name: Vida Dulce
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 440
Hailing Port: Seattle, WA
Crew: Jerry and Susan Barber
About: Jerry and Susan moved aboard Vida Dulce in late October of 2010. We are currently in the Caribbean.
Vida Dulce's Photos - Main
26 Photos
Created 20 October 2017
17 Photos
Created 2 September 2017
4 Photos
Created 15 December 2016
9 Photos
Created 17 October 2016
20 Photos
Created 1 September 2015
North Coast, West section 2015; Havana to Baracoa Bus Trip 2016
100 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
38 Photos
Created 11 March 2015
50 Photos
Created 25 December 2014
The road trip included 7 States: WA, OR, ID, WY, CO, UT, MT
16 Photos
Created 3 August 2014
Hurricane Season 2014
1 Photo | 5 Sub-Albums
Created 14 June 2014
Pictures of our stay in Honduras 2014
1 Photo | 5 Sub-Albums
Created 4 January 2014
10 Photos
Created 18 October 2013
4 Photos
Created 20 September 2013
Our Dec 2012 - Feb 2013 visit
55 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 31 December 2012
Happy Holidays from Isla Providencia, Colombia
11 Photos
Created 31 December 2012
Photos of my on-board garden
16 Photos
Created 28 September 2012
4 Photos
Created 26 December 2011
Pictures of our time in Panama, Sept 2011 - Dec 2012
1 Photo | 5 Sub-Albums
Created 29 September 2011
Pictures of our visit to Columbia, May-Oct 2011
1 Photo | 5 Sub-Albums
Created 15 July 2011
Photos of our series drogue and May 2011 practice deployment and retrieval
24 Photos
Created 13 May 2011
Pictures from our brief visit to Bonaire, Curacao & Aruba in May 2011
35 Photos
Created 11 May 2011
Pictures of our short stay off Isla Pelona in May 2011
17 Photos
Created 11 May 2011
Pictures of our time in Grenada, April 2011
48 Photos
Created 23 April 2011
Pictures of our island stops in the Grenadines, April 2011
36 Photos
Created 4 April 2011
Photos of St Vincent, April 2011
11 Photos
Created 2 April 2011
Photos of St Lucia March 2011
46 Photos
Created 15 March 2011
68 Photos
Created 7 March 2011
Photos of Dominica 2011
3 Photos
Created 7 March 2011
Photos of Iles des Saintes, Feb 2011
12 Photos
Created 17 February 2011
Photos of Guadeloupe, Feb 2011
49 Photos
Created 13 February 2011
Photos of Barbuda, Jan 2011
15 Photos
Created 14 January 2011
20 Photos
Created 30 December 2010
2 Photos
Created 26 December 2010
Photos of Red Hook, St Thomas and Vida Dulce getting a new bank of batteries and the installation of her new custom made arch which will support 4 solar panels.
28 Photos
Created 9 November 2010
Haul out of Vida Dulce in November of 2010.
23 Photos
Created 9 November 2010
Lots of photos of various places not in other albums. Most are included directly in a blog entry.
27 Photos
Created 31 October 2010
15 Photos
Created 11 September 2010
A "Working" Trip with Jim to start outfitting the boat for cruising.
31 Photos
Created 10 September 2010
11 Photos
Created 5 April 2010
34 Photos
Created 5 April 2010