Cruising with Vida Dulce

22 October 2020
04 September 2020 | Loggerhead Marina, Hollywood, FL
22 August 2020 | Hollywood, FL
20 August 2020 | Greenville, AL
18 March 2020
09 March 2020 | Isla Mujeres, MX
29 February 2020 | Isla Mujeres, MX
14 February 2020 | Isla Mujeres, MX
14 February 2020 | Isla Mujeres, MX
13 February 2020
22 January 2020 | Isla Mujeres, MX
10 January 2020 | Isla Mujeres, MX
06 January 2020 | Isla Mujeres, MX
04 January 2020 | Islan Mujeres, MX
31 December 2019 | Isla Mujeres, MX
30 December 2019 | Isla Mujeres, MX
29 December 2019 | Isla Mujeres, MX
28 December 2019 | Isla Cozumel MX
26 December 2019 | Cay Caulker, BZ
25 December 2019 | Bluefield Range Cays

Passage & Tres Puntas Arrival

02 June 2016 | Cabo Tres Puntas, Guatemala
Susan / partly cloudy, occasional morning rain, 86 degrees F
We arrive in the Cabo Tres Puntas anchorage (Guatemala) at 6:30am. We could continue onto Livingston, another 2 hours, to check in then continue up the Rio Dulce. It's Thursday morning. We easily could be secured in our hurricane season marina by early afternoon, meeting the suggested arrival timing. However we had several serious engine, electronics and electrical issues on the passage and Jerry wants to do a through systems check before we motor up the narrow, winding canyon of the Rio Dulce. This will take several hours. Livingston is a terrible anchorage and we don't want to stop at all in Belize, so Cabo Tres Puntas is the best choice. Besides we could use a rest after 3 nights and 2 days of 3- & 4-hour watch shifts.

When Jerry, Mona & Paul went for a day-sail the newly installed wind instrument failed but came back on-line 10 minutes later. This intermittent failure happened in each watch period until Wednesday morning when it failed at a quarter to 8am and didn't come back online until the entire navigation instrument system was rebooted twice. Not having wind direction nor speed during the day is workable, at night, not so much especially when there are thunderstorms and squalls in the area. Even after the reboot, the helm navigation instruments failed to show the wind data for 10 minute intervals on subsequent watches. Wind instrument failure? Communication / connection issue? Display issue? Power issue? Something else? More questions than answers.

Speaking of communication, we discover the charging station for the remote VHF radio at the helm has no power when the remote unit beeps then turns off. Dead battery. The helm is on top of the aft cockpit, and the radios are in the main salon. It's not possible to hear the main radio at the helm. The charging station in the master suite works fine so between charging sessions, we use a (separate) portable VHF. Fine for short distances, not so great if we need to contact another vessel to discuss passing or anti-collision heading adjustments.

Another unhappy discovery: the electric winch switch set that runs the winch for the genny furling line, mainsheet traveler line and main sheet (it gets a lot of work) gets stuck in the on position when pushed (toe button). Not good! The rubber switch cover went to pieces, perhaps a small bit holds the switch on. We clear away the bits around the switch and for this passage will use a finger to press the switch until the rubber cover is replaced. We do have manual winch handles but that's too much work...electric winches rule!

To the passage:
Night 1: From Isla Mujeres to abeam Puerto Morelos we motor-sailed along in excellent conditions. Night fell, a dark moon-less night, when there, we hit the 3 kt adverse current. Instant washing machine seas: steep short-period waves, eddies turning the boat this way and that. The autopilot switched off but thankfully re-engaged once I manually steered the boat for a few minutes to get her pointed in the correct direction. (Note to self: transit this area southbound in daylight.) The confused seas diminished after an hour or so; however when you're only going 3 kts, not much distance is being covered. The seas became more manageable as we got closer to San Miguel, Cozumel, however the adverse 3 kt current didn't ease up until south of the isla.

Night 2: During Jerry's 8p-11p watch, the battery warning light on the starboard engine panel starts blinking. This usually means that engine is no longer charging the cranking batteries. Jerry says: as long as the light is blinking, not solid red, we'll continue as is. If it turns solid red, turn off the starboard engine. So this is the start of my 11p-2a watch and we're just abeam the north end of Banco Chinchorro. The passage track is plotted several km off the atoll outline on the chart plotter through waypoints we'd used when we stopped there while transiting northbound a couple of years previous. However the route we took on that trip gave the atoll wide berth between those waypoints, much farther off than we are traveling when I took the helm. Hmm, why was that... did we see something that caused us to be extra wary or were we sailing this track was to keep the wind? I cannot remember. What I do see is breaking waves over both bows plus breaking waves on our port beam. I cannot see anything else, another black moon-less night at that point. I decide to give us a safety buffer and adjust course, not to match the track of our pervious transit because we're on a run, but a km buffer. At that moment a wave breaks over the beam high enough to splash the bench seat next to me - mind you the helm is 10 ft above the water. I don't get splashed however something heavy and wet and slimy lands on my lap. Not on the deck, not on the helm steps, not on the seat that is newly wet. On My Lap. A large, fat, flying fish. It is not unusual of us to discover (dead) flying fish on the decks and trampoline after a passage, presumably carried there by waves breaking over the bows; this is the first to land at the helm station, and easily twice the size of the others we've "caught". Safety buffer decision confirmed! Note: we continue to have an adverse current in the 2 kt range, and did not get lee-side relief from the prevailing seas.

At the 8am watch change, after temporarily getting the wind instruments back, Jerry decides to do a visual wellness check on the engines even though we're still in open water. Going behind the lifelines in reef-protected water is preferred while underway however there are still several more hours before we'll gain protection from Turneffe atoll and then several more until we're behind the Belize reefs via the shipping channel. We back both engines to idle. Jerry goes in and confirms all sounds and smells are normal but one v-belt needs to be tightened, which he does. That non-conclusive, he wants to do an additional test and to do so he needs to shut one engine off, then the other. The helm engine control is non-responsive. He goes to the salon helm station where there's a secondary engine console, it is also non-responsive; neither engine will shut off. For many reasons this is disturbing, one of which is without engine electronics, there will be no trouble lights should a critical issue arise. Another engine rooms check. Nothing points to the core issue. I continue watch while Jerry does additional systems checks; he finds a problem, both engine batteries are dead. This is strange as both were charged when we departed. He cross-wires one of the engine batteries with the house battery bank and wha-la, engine controls. Why and how this happened needs to be further investigated but with this knowledge and the temporary fix of not turning off the engines until we're anchored keeps us moving.

Night 3: My 8p-11p watch is coming to an end when we're abeam Placencia. Having been in and out of that anchorage several times we have lots of tracks to follow. Jerry wants to follow the one that takes us directly to Tres Puntas; this means that from our current track, shortly after bypassing Placencia Town, a turn to starboard to cut between a large off-shore lighted shoal and Placencia's small reef and shoals. The chart plotter shows the cut clearly with plenty of water between. Upon arrival, there are lots of entrance markers - blinking greens and reds - marking an entrance that should be farther south. Plus there's a green buoy closest to us, presumably marking the edge of the offshore shoal, which is not on the map. Hmmm.. I know entrance markers; red right returning and all that so I turn toward the cut, placing the green buoy so that I'll pass it port-side. This is the moment the chart plotter turns black. It just turns off. Sh__! I immediately switch to manual steering, swing the boat around, sails be dammed, to move away from all shallows. The genny is flapping away, the main sail is gybing. Not good for the sails but I can't worry about that at the moment. My first concern is to return to a recent location where there's sufficient water under the keels and then figure out exactly where I am. The chart plotter thankfully reboots when I hit the power button. The map is just appearing when Jerry comes up for the 11p-2a watch. I quickly tell him what just happened & where; we move further back into the inner channel to get reoriented and the genny furled. It's Jerry's helm now; oriented and with his iPad navigation program running as a backup, he decides to back up a bit in order to follow one of our tracks toward an anchorage waypoint where he can then pick up the intended track. Entrance buoys are blinking away all around us but Jerry has confidence in our tracks, and we do safely transit the area. We used to have two chart plotters at the helm, Raymarine & Garmin, but when we switched most everything over to Garmin, we didn't think about the redundancy lost. In future passages, we'll have the iPad at the helm as backup.

But hey, other than this, the passage was quite pleasant.

Nap, coffee & breakfast done, Jerry starts his investigations. Both engines are in good shape; no issues there. The genset turns on, no problems; Jerry uses the battery charger to fully charge both cranking batteries. One was reluctant at first but finally accepted a charge. Both engines start and turn off from the helm. More wiring and electronics checks, all ok. No smoking gun.
Comments
Vessel Name: Vida Dulce
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 440
Hailing Port: Seattle, WA
Crew: Jerry and Susan Barber
About: Jerry and Susan moved aboard Vida Dulce in late October of 2010. We are currently in the Caribbean.
Vida Dulce's Photos - Main
26 Photos
Created 20 October 2017
17 Photos
Created 2 September 2017
4 Photos
Created 15 December 2016
9 Photos
Created 17 October 2016
20 Photos
Created 1 September 2015
North Coast, West section 2015; Havana to Baracoa Bus Trip 2016
100 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
38 Photos
Created 11 March 2015
50 Photos
Created 25 December 2014
The road trip included 7 States: WA, OR, ID, WY, CO, UT, MT
16 Photos
Created 3 August 2014
Hurricane Season 2014
1 Photo | 5 Sub-Albums
Created 14 June 2014
Pictures of our stay in Honduras 2014
1 Photo | 5 Sub-Albums
Created 4 January 2014
10 Photos
Created 18 October 2013
4 Photos
Created 20 September 2013
Our Dec 2012 - Feb 2013 visit
55 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 31 December 2012
Happy Holidays from Isla Providencia, Colombia
11 Photos
Created 31 December 2012
Photos of my on-board garden
16 Photos
Created 28 September 2012
4 Photos
Created 26 December 2011
Pictures of our time in Panama, Sept 2011 - Dec 2012
1 Photo | 5 Sub-Albums
Created 29 September 2011
Pictures of our visit to Columbia, May-Oct 2011
1 Photo | 5 Sub-Albums
Created 15 July 2011
Photos of our series drogue and May 2011 practice deployment and retrieval
24 Photos
Created 13 May 2011
Pictures from our brief visit to Bonaire, Curacao & Aruba in May 2011
35 Photos
Created 11 May 2011
Pictures of our short stay off Isla Pelona in May 2011
17 Photos
Created 11 May 2011
Pictures of our time in Grenada, April 2011
48 Photos
Created 23 April 2011
Pictures of our island stops in the Grenadines, April 2011
36 Photos
Created 4 April 2011
Photos of St Vincent, April 2011
11 Photos
Created 2 April 2011
Photos of St Lucia March 2011
46 Photos
Created 15 March 2011
68 Photos
Created 7 March 2011
Photos of Dominica 2011
3 Photos
Created 7 March 2011
Photos of Iles des Saintes, Feb 2011
12 Photos
Created 17 February 2011
Photos of Guadeloupe, Feb 2011
49 Photos
Created 13 February 2011
Photos of Barbuda, Jan 2011
15 Photos
Created 14 January 2011
20 Photos
Created 30 December 2010
2 Photos
Created 26 December 2010
Photos of Red Hook, St Thomas and Vida Dulce getting a new bank of batteries and the installation of her new custom made arch which will support 4 solar panels.
28 Photos
Created 9 November 2010
Haul out of Vida Dulce in November of 2010.
23 Photos
Created 9 November 2010
Lots of photos of various places not in other albums. Most are included directly in a blog entry.
27 Photos
Created 31 October 2010
15 Photos
Created 11 September 2010
A "Working" Trip with Jim to start outfitting the boat for cruising.
31 Photos
Created 10 September 2010
11 Photos
Created 5 April 2010
34 Photos
Created 5 April 2010