Valkyrie

The adventures of Valkyrie and the Vinyasa Sailor

17 February 2013
05 December 2012 | Snead Island Boatworks

Blister Abatement and Finish Refit 2012

05 December 2012 | Snead Island Boatworks
Valkyrie went onto the hard this fall for a complete blister abatement at Snead Island Boatworks. I knew when I purchased her four years ago that she would eventually have to have this work done. The process begins with a planer that removes the gelcoat and exposes the blisters. The blisters are ground out until good sound fiberglass is all that remains. Then the boat sits and waits until the hull is very dry. This can take many months. Valkyrie had a good low moisture reading to begin with so her dry time will be less than most boats they see. When her moisture reading is close to that of new boats (below 10) her blisters will be filled and she will then be painted with a water barrier paint followed by antifouling bottome paint. Of course as long as she was out of the water and out of commission for a few months, she is going to get a bunch of additional work done including: replacing the Lasdrop dripless stuffing box, paint the bowsprit, pilot house roof, repaint the undersides of the strikes, touch up paint where needed including inside of dorados. Replace five windows in main salon and install a new hatch in the pilot house roof to allow good ventilation for mail salon while anchored, recaulk and paint the cabin top and intrument cowling, take all teak down to bare wood and varnish with Schooner, replace both heads and all sanitation hoses, replace Lectrasan, install new chartplotter and radar, replace steps on stern boarding ladder and resecure teak treads, polish fuel in all tanks, flush radiator, change all fluids, replace all fuel hoses and install a new fuel management manifold, work and lubricate all throughhull fittings and replace as needed, replace and rewire port and starboard running lights and replace all four 8D house batteries as well as generator battery. Have a new custom awning made that will cover the entire pilot house (area between main and mizzen) to keep saloon cooler during the hot months. Replace all running halyards all sheets. Replace her two air conditioner water pumps with one larger one tying the two systems together to eliminating the extra water strainer and replace the main cabin's air conditioner condenser. Install some new mood lighting in main stateroom and recover the headboard with a beautiful imported rug material and replace all bedding. Install new RO fresh water filtration system and replace the fresh water expansion tank. I am looking forward to getting her back in the water and return to the Bahamas for the third year of cruising.
Comments
Vessel Name: Valkyrie
Vessel Make/Model: Island Trader 46
Hailing Port: St Petersburg
Crew: Peter Weil
About:
I grew up in Pittsburgh, PA. My parents made me my first sailboat boat from a plastic row boat and a broom handle for the mast. I was hooked at the age of seven. [...]
Extra:
Valkyrie is an Island Trader 46. I now believe in love at first sight. I first spotted her at Marina Jack in Sarasota. She was not for sale at the time but I wrote a letter to the owner and it turned out she was getting ready to be sold. After looking at four other Island Traders that were on [...]
Social: