Valkyrie

The adventures of Valkyrie and the Vinyasa Sailor

17 February 2013
05 December 2012 | Snead Island Boatworks

Valkyrie Major Refit 2009-2011

12 July 2012
Valkyrie is an Island Trader 46. I purchased her in 2009. After three years, most of the systems have been replaced or updated. Her wooden masts were pulled and repainted As well as the booms and spreaders. There was some rot at the base of the mizzen so new wood was scarfed to fix it. The standing rigging and life lines were replaced. Her hull was repainted as well as her bilges and all of her sea cocks were either rebuilt or replaced. She was outfitted with five solar panels that are able to keep up with her electrical needs (air conditioning excluded). Her charger inverter was replaced and much of her wiring was updated, including all of her outlets, new battery switches, battery cables and all of her batteries were replaced with new AGM's. A new LED tri-color masthead light was installed on the mainmast as well as a state of the art radar reflector on the mizzen. Her bow thruster and heat exchanger were rebuilt and her transmission cooler and alternater was replaced. Most of her hoses have been replaced along with her auto pilot, chart plotter, radar and depth sounder. Her high water alarm was replaced and her bilge pumps were reconfigured so she now has two new automatic pumps and one manual pump. Her sails had never even been used. New Sunbrella was installed on her sails and canvas awnings were custom built so that her entire deck can be sheltered from rain and sun. Wind scoops were custom made for both for her forward and aft hatches. All of her ports received new glass and the gaskets were all replaced. The glass in her salon was replaced with fixed units eliminating the problem associated with sliding windows and rain. All of her floors teak were refinished with epoxy and varnish. New curtains were made for all of her ports and side windows. She has a new RIB which was fitted with chaps and the old outboard was replaced with a new 8hp Tahatsu four stroke. Her dorados were redesigned to work properly. Her two bow anchors were replaced with larger ones that are suitable for a 70' boat. There so many additional improvements that have been made to her over the past three years it would and does fill a book. Valkyrie is now a very capable and dependable motor sailor that is closing in on Bristol condition. With her teak trim and classic motor sailor looks she gets a lot of attention.
Comments
Vessel Name: Valkyrie
Vessel Make/Model: Island Trader 46
Hailing Port: St Petersburg
Crew: Peter Weil
About:
I grew up in Pittsburgh, PA. My parents made me my first sailboat boat from a plastic row boat and a broom handle for the mast. I was hooked at the age of seven. [...]
Extra:
Valkyrie is an Island Trader 46. I now believe in love at first sight. I first spotted her at Marina Jack in Sarasota. She was not for sale at the time but I wrote a letter to the owner and it turned out she was getting ready to be sold. After looking at four other Island Traders that were on [...]
Social: