Volaré - Pacific Odyssey

03 February 2015 | Coomera QLD
01 December 2014 | Southport
26 October 2014 | Onboard Camelot Mooloolaba
26 October 2014 | Moreton Bay
26 October 2014 | Just north of Caloundra
24 October 2014 | Mooloolaba
23 October 2014 | End of Fraser Island
22 October 2014 | Tin Can Bay, end of Fraser Island
16 October 2014 | Maryborough
15 October 2014 | Maryborough
15 October 2014 | Mary River 1/2 way
13 October 2014 | Mouth of Mary River
10 October 2014 | From anchorage at Pan Cake Creek
08 October 2014 | Great Keppel Island
05 October 2014 | Great Keppel Island
30 September 2014 | OFF Cape Townsend
28 September 2014 | Scawfell Island
28 September 2014 | Scawfell, seaward of Mackay
21 September 2014 | New Caledonia
18 September 2014 | Noumea

Ensenada - San Diego

02 October 2006 | San Diego
Greg
This photo was taken by some cruising friends as we were leaving Ensenada at 7:00PM on Saturday night. We motorsailed into 15 -20kt winds overnight for most of the trip. We were able to free off just north of the Coronado Islands and sail for about an hour before the wind died away at about 5:00AM so motored the rest of the way into San DIego and tied up at the Customs dock at 7:30AM on Sunday morning. ALl in all a fairly uneventful trip.

However, we had some fun and games with Homeland Security when we arrived.

Because we are Australians we are allowed to enter the United States for three months and obtain a visa exemption at the port of entry. We did this when we arrived in May to pick up Volare, but of course those exemptions have expired by now. Not to worry, thought I... we will get new exemptions when we arrive in San Diego. Uh huh. We were told by Customs we would have to immediately return to Mexico because they were unable to issue visa exemptions because we had arrived by yacht. You can get an exemption if you arrive by plane, cruise ship, train or even by car if you cross the border at Tijuana, but if you come by yacht (I tried to coinvince them it was a cruise ship)....NO DEAL! I tried to keep my patience (even though I hadn't slept for 48 hours and after telephone conversations with Supervisors we were informed that we had two options - go back to Mexico straight away or pay $265 each for a special three month Visa. Obviously I opted for the latter but had no dollars on me so they kindly offered to drive me to a bank then onto the airport where the necessary forms could be completed.

I was put in the cage in the back of their truck and locked in before leaving! Well that was an experience - luckily they had hosed out the back of the truck since the previous night's occupants had visited.

Anyway, all's well that ends well and we are now legally in the land of hope and glory again. We are staying at a beautiful marina in Americas Cup Harbor - the facilities are first class.

Heard a funny story when I got here. There was this old sailor who went to the doctor's. He had a ships steering wheel stuck in his fly. When this was pointed out by the doctor his reply was: "Aye...it's driving me nuts!" Boom . Boom.
Comments
Vessel Name: Volare
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42MKII
Hailing Port: Batemans Bay, Australia
Crew: Greg & Debbie Cockle
About: We have had 9 yachts together in our 43 years together
Extra:
Debbie and I have been sailing for about 30 years. In 1983 we set sail, together with Mia (our daughter) in a 38' ketch for what was to become a four year sabatical that took us from Sydney to Hong Kong. We were the true slow boat to China. We ended up spending about 15 years away from Australia, [...]
Home Page: the_cockles@hotmail.com
Social:

About Us

Who: Greg & Debbie Cockle
Port: Batemans Bay, Australia