Volaré - Pacific Odyssey

03 February 2015 | Coomera QLD
01 December 2014 | Southport
26 October 2014 | Onboard Camelot Mooloolaba
26 October 2014 | Moreton Bay
26 October 2014 | Just north of Caloundra
24 October 2014 | Mooloolaba
23 October 2014 | End of Fraser Island
22 October 2014 | Tin Can Bay, end of Fraser Island
16 October 2014 | Maryborough
15 October 2014 | Maryborough
15 October 2014 | Mary River 1/2 way
13 October 2014 | Mouth of Mary River
10 October 2014 | From anchorage at Pan Cake Creek
08 October 2014 | Great Keppel Island
05 October 2014 | Great Keppel Island
30 September 2014 | OFF Cape Townsend
28 September 2014 | Scawfell Island
28 September 2014 | Scawfell, seaward of Mackay
21 September 2014 | New Caledonia
18 September 2014 | Noumea

Ensenada de Los Muertos

15 November 2006 | On board Volare
Greg
We arrived here two days ago and are having difficulty leaving. Los Muertos (Cove of the Dead) is a beautiful little bay about 50 miles SE of La Paz. It used to be home to local fishermen but more recently the land surrounding the cove has been bought by American interests and has been subdivided into blocks of land ranging from 1/4 acre to 20 acres. A 1/4 acre block with water frontage costs a tad over US$1.5 million. Then the house is built and once the new owner has moved in there is an additional charge of US$1,000 per month that goes into the kitty to pay security guards! At the southern end of the beach there are already 3 or 4 mansions complete with swimming pools, spas etc... etc.. plus an 18 hole golf course. We went ashore when we arrived and walked along the beach thinking these places were a resort. There was nobody around and we wandered in and around, lying in the hammocks, showering off in the outdoor showers, thinking we were going to come across another Jonestown with all the bodies stacked out the back (after all, we are in the Cove of the Dead...). Then we discovered some photographs in frames on one of the outdoor bar-b-que preparation areas that clearly suggested we were wondering around someone's private home - they just weren't home. We think the owners must be someone famous because one of the pagolas over an outdoor area is supported by two 12 foot high replicas of the gold oscars.

At the other end of the beach, where we are anchored is a palapa bar called "The Giggling Marlin". A group of us Ha-Ha hangers on went ashore yesterday and we spent the afternoon looking back out at the anchorage as the sun went down drinking 3 or 4 (or was it 5 or 6) Negros cervezas (beers).

We are witnessing the end of an era here. Apart from the few houses at one end of the beach and the palapa bar at the other, there is nothing here except the pure white sand beach, manta rays, coral reefs and crystal clear water. In a few years there will be a marina, lots of houses, vendors who will happily write your name on a grain of rice, and the 40 mile road into La Paz will probably be a two lane highway.

We plan to get underway tonight at about midnight so that we can get into La Paz mid morning tomorrow. Our route takes us between the mainland and Isla Cerralvo, a very large island that acts as a wind funnel increasing the northerly windspeed considerably. If the normal breeze is about 15kts, it can increase to 25+kts coming down the Cerralvo Channel. As we will be going against the wind we'll motor during the night when the wind dies down a little.

We are just waiting for our neighbours on Talerra to finish coloring her hair, doing the ironing (and this is cruising!!!????) and then we are all going ashore for a day of hiking and exploring.

##

---------- radio email processed by SailMail for information see: http://www.sailmail.com
Comments
Vessel Name: Volare
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42MKII
Hailing Port: Batemans Bay, Australia
Crew: Greg & Debbie Cockle
About: We have had 9 yachts together in our 43 years together
Extra:
Debbie and I have been sailing for about 30 years. In 1983 we set sail, together with Mia (our daughter) in a 38' ketch for what was to become a four year sabatical that took us from Sydney to Hong Kong. We were the true slow boat to China. We ended up spending about 15 years away from Australia, [...]
Home Page: the_cockles@hotmail.com
Social:

About Us

Who: Greg & Debbie Cockle
Port: Batemans Bay, Australia