Volaré - Pacific Odyssey

03 February 2015 | Coomera QLD
01 December 2014 | Southport
26 October 2014 | Onboard Camelot Mooloolaba
26 October 2014 | Moreton Bay
26 October 2014 | Just north of Caloundra
24 October 2014 | Mooloolaba
23 October 2014 | End of Fraser Island
22 October 2014 | Tin Can Bay, end of Fraser Island
16 October 2014 | Maryborough
15 October 2014 | Maryborough
15 October 2014 | Mary River 1/2 way
13 October 2014 | Mouth of Mary River
10 October 2014 | From anchorage at Pan Cake Creek
08 October 2014 | Great Keppel Island
05 October 2014 | Great Keppel Island
30 September 2014 | OFF Cape Townsend
28 September 2014 | Scawfell Island
28 September 2014 | Scawfell, seaward of Mackay
21 September 2014 | New Caledonia
18 September 2014 | Noumea

Birthdays in Exotic Locations

16 February 2007 | Bahia de Navidad

We had a very different Anniversary on the February 13th - 36 years, quiet a feat!! From the northern anchorage in Bahia Tenacatita we went on a jungle safari in our dinghy up a mangrove river to the little town of Ravelcito. We had been warned in advance about the crocodile infested areas, so kept a sharp lookout. We did see one little croc about three feet long and wondered where his mummy and daddy might have been hiding. Ravalcito is nestled in a gorgeous little bay to the west of the main northern anchorage. It's a very pretty little Mexican town, full of little palapa bars and one tienda (little super market). We had a lovely lunch at one of the palapas on the beach and a few cervezas to celebrate our anniversary before heading back to the boat.

Greg had a spurt of energy early in the next morning, his birthday, 14th February (yes, he's a Valentines baby) and got up about 6am to put his new alternator on and changed a toilet valve (how exciting for him on his birthday!!!!) We pottered around and were due to go snorkling with the Talerras but they backed out, had visitors and things to do on board etc... but were secretly baking a cake for Greg's birthday. We went ashore and threw our frisbee around and had a walk along the beach to the resort at the other end. Had lunch back at our little palapa bar near the yachts with some new people that we met who also had a Catalina 42, and were joined by their friends with a 44ft J Boat (there were about 35 boats in the anchorage) So, all very nice. Then back to Volare to prepare for the party on board.

The Talerras came over with their boat guests and what a lovely surprise, they had a bottle of Moet to celebrate our little granddaughter Jade's birth, Greg's birthday, and Valentine's cards and a Happy Birthday sign to string up on the boat. What a lovely night, ending with Melanie's fabulous chocolate birthday cake.

Yesterday (Friday 16th) we motored about 21 miles down the coast to the little town of Bahia de Navidad (not sure whether this is where the song came from?) At the southern end of Navidad is a very small unmarked channel into a lagoon. Upon entering the lagoon we were presented with the magnificent Isla Navidad Resort, complete with 18-hole golf course and marina. We followed a 130' motor cruiser complete with its own helicopter through the channel. Needless to say we're not anchored in the marina but in the lagoon.

The whole of this week is Carnivale and last night we went ashore to the little cobblestone streeted town of Barra and joined the festivities.

We leave tomorrow, weather permitting, for another resort town of Manzanilla and we will anchor off the hotel used as the set for the movie 10. Perhaps we'll bump into Bo Derek.

If you like photos we have added another album to the gallery. Click on the link and open 'Puerto Vallarta to Manzanilla'.

Comments
Vessel Name: Volare
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42MKII
Hailing Port: Batemans Bay, Australia
Crew: Greg & Debbie Cockle
About: We have had 9 yachts together in our 43 years together
Extra:
Debbie and I have been sailing for about 30 years. In 1983 we set sail, together with Mia (our daughter) in a 38' ketch for what was to become a four year sabatical that took us from Sydney to Hong Kong. We were the true slow boat to China. We ended up spending about 15 years away from Australia, [...]
Home Page: the_cockles@hotmail.com
Social:

About Us

Who: Greg & Debbie Cockle
Port: Batemans Bay, Australia