Volaré - Pacific Odyssey

03 February 2015 | Coomera QLD
01 December 2014 | Southport
26 October 2014 | Onboard Camelot Mooloolaba
26 October 2014 | Moreton Bay
26 October 2014 | Just north of Caloundra
24 October 2014 | Mooloolaba
23 October 2014 | End of Fraser Island
22 October 2014 | Tin Can Bay, end of Fraser Island
16 October 2014 | Maryborough
15 October 2014 | Maryborough
15 October 2014 | Mary River 1/2 way
13 October 2014 | Mouth of Mary River
10 October 2014 | From anchorage at Pan Cake Creek
08 October 2014 | Great Keppel Island
05 October 2014 | Great Keppel Island
30 September 2014 | OFF Cape Townsend
28 September 2014 | Scawfell Island
28 September 2014 | Scawfell, seaward of Mackay
21 September 2014 | New Caledonia
18 September 2014 | Noumea

Aftermath of Race Week

29 September 2007



Well, you would think life would slow down after the extremely busy and social week at Musket Cove Race Week but no, life is still hectic. Every day is full of sailing to varied isolated islands in company with yet more newly made friends, snorkelling in crystal clear water to discover new coral and marine life,
anchoring in pristine water with no other boats or people around right next to craggy cliffs that glow green as the sun sets because: "Thar's copper in them thar hills" (this was just a few nights ago). Drinks on board as the sun slowly sets in the west and then indulging in fabulous meals you would never think you have on a cruising yacht.

Last night it was our turn to entertain. I made a very spicy red curry with beef, a potato, bean and coriander yellow curry, accompanied with fluffy hot rice, Penjaby mango chutney and freshly made pappadams. All washed down with a few good Aussie wines. Julie had made a baked apricot and raison desert to end off the meal and luckily after all that (which included a few nice scotches for the boys before the meal); Julie and Richie from the catamaran Ka Pai managed to get into their dinghy to head back to their boat.

Oh, I forgot to mention, for those who remember, our broken anchor windlass, we now have our new motor installed and we are not pulling up the anchor and chain with our staysail halyard any more, thank goodness. This has been the time for anchor windlasses to break down. It has happened to so many boats recently - a lot of the boats that have been travelling since the States or Europe have windlasses that are saying, "I'm tired", and many have just stopped.

Today, we are heading for Denaru. From all reports it is huge now. We went there about 4 or 5 ago and there wasn't much there, now there is a Marina, shops, all sorts of things, we can anchor off, without having to go into the Marina, catch up with some more friends and hopefully go into Nadi for another super shopping experience. Our little grand daughter Jade has got 6 pairs of new shoes on board already, at an average prive of approx AUS$7-00. I just can't resist! As well as the most gorgeous little Indian bejewelled outfit for her dress up parties (again Nana D couldn't resist). She even has silver sandals with sequins and pearls on the front to go with it. Can you imagine seeing her big blue eyes shine when she sees these? Even found a little denim jacket for her, which cost the crazy price of AUS$2-00, Yes $2.00. It really is worth coming here to shop, especially for children, amazingly low prices. You could stock up for a few years, especially on shoes.

Count down now for brother Jim to arrive, he flies in on Oct 6th and I have organised for Abdul, the taxi driver to go to the airport and hold up the Parsons/Volar� sign and bring him to the boat, so can't wait to see him. I think he's pretty excited about the trip too!!

(We've added some additional photos in the gallery under Musket Cove Regatta)
Comments
Vessel Name: Volare
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42MKII
Hailing Port: Batemans Bay, Australia
Crew: Greg & Debbie Cockle
About: We have had 9 yachts together in our 43 years together
Extra:
Debbie and I have been sailing for about 30 years. In 1983 we set sail, together with Mia (our daughter) in a 38' ketch for what was to become a four year sabatical that took us from Sydney to Hong Kong. We were the true slow boat to China. We ended up spending about 15 years away from Australia, [...]
Home Page: the_cockles@hotmail.com
Social:

About Us

Who: Greg & Debbie Cockle
Port: Batemans Bay, Australia