Volaré - Pacific Odyssey

03 February 2015 | Coomera QLD
01 December 2014 | Southport
26 October 2014 | Onboard Camelot Mooloolaba
26 October 2014 | Moreton Bay
26 October 2014 | Just north of Caloundra
24 October 2014 | Mooloolaba
23 October 2014 | End of Fraser Island
22 October 2014 | Tin Can Bay, end of Fraser Island
16 October 2014 | Maryborough
15 October 2014 | Maryborough
15 October 2014 | Mary River 1/2 way
13 October 2014 | Mouth of Mary River
10 October 2014 | From anchorage at Pan Cake Creek
08 October 2014 | Great Keppel Island
05 October 2014 | Great Keppel Island
30 September 2014 | OFF Cape Townsend
28 September 2014 | Scawfell Island
28 September 2014 | Scawfell, seaward of Mackay
21 September 2014 | New Caledonia
18 September 2014 | Noumea

Rain, Rain and More Rain.

09 November 2007 | Bay of Islands
Debbie
This is the most rain we've had for 1� yrs and we have our first lot of visitors on board Volar� who aren't family since we took delivery of the boat. Alan and Robyn Seale are our neighbours from Drummoyne, Sydney, both sailors, so they know what it's all about. They really wanted to come to the Bay of Islands as they'd been here over 20 years ago and had loved it. Robyn said she re read her diary recently about that previous trip and her comment then was that they'd love to come back again to the area but do it on a yacht, and here they are.

The only problem is the rain started the morning Alan and Robyn arrived and really hasn't stopped since. It hasn't stopped us getting out into the Bay and going to some of the really spectacular anchorages and seeing the very pretty countryside along the way. Lots of rolling green hills that you could feel you could walk forever (except it's raining), tracks to spectacular lookouts over the Bay and the surrounding areas (except its pouring).

First day we headed over to explore the quaint little town of Russell and had breakfast ashore in a little seaside caf�. After a rainy night on board, where we were all cosy inside with candles keeping us warm, we headed out to Roberton Island. After overnighting there, we decided with the rain we needed a diversion (ie. shops) so headed across towards Kerikeri.

We pulled into Kerikeri Marina and decided to stay the night, as the yacht club was serving dinner that night and chef Debbie wouldn't have to cook. After tying up in the pouring rain, we all ventured to the Marina office and booked a taxi to take us into the little town of Kerikeri. The Taxi driver was an ex-cruiser who had ended up his cruising life in the area and just fell in love with it as you would. It is just so pretty. On the way into town we passed the oldest standing house in New Zealand and the Stone Store, The house was established in 1819 by the Church Missionary Society and was the sole survivor of the Musket Wars of the 1820's. The house and the nearby Stone Store were built to house the Rev John Butler in 1821-1822. Both right built beside the waters edge, so a very pretty setting.

Wednesday, Nov 7th: Hurrah, the sun is shining, we are sailing in a very pleasant 10 knots of breeze through the Bay to we don't know where and at last some nice weather for Alan and Robyn's last two days on the boat.

Whilst heading down the bay, trying to look for an anchorage in southerly winds, we had a call from friends on their charter yacht Phantom saying they were in a bay behind Moturoa and it was a great southerly anchorage. If we got there in the next hour before they left, they would pass over a bucket of fresh green lipped mussels. Without delay we changed course and headed there. Fascinating anchorage, quite different scenery to what we had been used to around the Bay because of these black rocks circling the anchorage. Phantom guided us in between the scary looking black rocks and we anchored in this very protected bay. Rick was over in the next few minutes with our bucket of mussels. Last night with the bay all to ourselves, we feasted on a fantastic meal of spicy seafood bouillabaisse, which I served with freshly baked bread, straight out of the oven. Yum!!!!

This morning (Friday Nov 9th), it was a walk ashore with all the sheep, then we tried to collect more mussels, but failed dismally. Rick had the touch. Now as we head back to Opua, we feel the week has gone too quickly, Alan and Robyn leave tomorrow to Auckland then back to Sydney on Sunday, having the boating experience on the Bay that they had pictured 20 years before.
Comments
Vessel Name: Volare
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42MKII
Hailing Port: Batemans Bay, Australia
Crew: Greg & Debbie Cockle
About: We have had 9 yachts together in our 43 years together
Extra:
Debbie and I have been sailing for about 30 years. In 1983 we set sail, together with Mia (our daughter) in a 38' ketch for what was to become a four year sabatical that took us from Sydney to Hong Kong. We were the true slow boat to China. We ended up spending about 15 years away from Australia, [...]
Home Page: the_cockles@hotmail.com
Social:

About Us

Who: Greg & Debbie Cockle
Port: Batemans Bay, Australia