Taya's voyages after Patagonia

After Chilean "canales" from Puerto Montt to Puerto Williams in 2019, In 2020, Taya moves up the South Atlantic Coast, from Tierra Del Fuego to Baltimore.

Day Thirteen

30 March 2015 | Southwest of Haiti
Alan and Nathaniel
Good morning!
Is it 5 more weeks for you?
We had a bumpy night.
The wind increased steadily in the afternoon/evening until it settled to 30-35k right behind us. By then we just had the jib up with several turns on the furler. The sky was overcast but seems to have clear pretty well now. There's been a lot of traffic including a Russian freighter last night who had to alter course to avoid us. There is one now coming behind us on a similar course bit he should pass a couple miles to port. The depths are large but those reefs rise out of the abyss to create dangers everywhere. Late morning we'll pass between a tiny island that at first I didn't see because I was zoomed out to much and a place, all alone among depths of thousands, where the sounding says 29 ft ! So one must be careful to zoom in the charts and look for dangers on the route. Once you know that you have to do this it is not a big deal with the GPS, but not long ago when people only had dead reckoning between less than accurate noon sights.....
We are passing about 19nm away from the southwestern peninsula of Haiti and now Jamaica is about 75nm away to the SW.
It is really pretty hot in the boat (88F) because the outside temp is high and we keep the hatches closed because of the waves.
Still dark, no dawn yet. ...
Alan

7:22 am
Since I need to connect to retrieve my grib file anyway here is a little supplement.
....
And for the daily water generator saga: yesterday I took apart the bought one to see if I could do something to improve the output: well I saw nothing wrong so I put humpty dumpty back together after fighting for an hour with it and lo and behold there was no improvement (5amps max) but this morning as I make the rounds I noticed that the rope and the spinners are gone!!! The fucking rope sheared off at the fitting connecting it to the generator. God I hate that @@#&^!!!!!$%@#$%#%$#^$%#%% machine even more than its Mad Max brethren who is also not working anymore because of the prop blade. The French $5000 Watt and Sea looks better every day. Without anything from the water generators, the refrigerator has to go, so we're going to eat a lot of meat in the next 2 days: and how about a steak with pork loin icing for desert anyone?
Alan


1 pm
.....Fairly slow day. The gale last night claimed the steering board that was in front of the transom access. I liked that board. We still have the 2 other ones. Lots of ship traffic; probably about 10 ships today that came within about 10 nm of us. Just got a rain squall. All good.

Alan


4:11 pm
Russian Satirical Ghost story? [Re: a discussion about a short story] That's pretty hipster mom haha. I'm getting some general themes and allegories from East of Eden but I think the main problem is that a lot of the novel is referencing the bible, so I'm having trouble picking up everything. Thanks for emailing force10. [for a stove part] I don't care if you post my emails. I'm writing to you but if you want to share that's fine. Is it cold in ship? hows boba?.... What are Jo and Eric up to?
Nathaniel

Comments
Vessel Name: Taya
Vessel Make/Model: Passoa 50
Hailing Port: Dover, Delaware
Crew: Alan Cresswell and Katy Clay
Extra: Katy, author posting the blog.
Social:
Taya's Photos - Main
Fall 2019 trip from Puerto Montt to Puerto WIlliam
10 Photos
Created 6 November 2019
December 2017
1 Photo
Created 27 December 2017
Prep for the Southern Ocean
No Photos
Created 10 November 2017
New Zealand prep
No Photos
Created 10 November 2017
3 Photos
Created 3 October 2017
3 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
2 Photos
Created 24 January 2015