Taya's voyages after Patagonia

After Chilean "canales" from Puerto Montt to Puerto Williams in 2019, In 2020, Taya moves up the South Atlantic Coast, from Tierra Del Fuego to Baltimore.

Day 53: Swim Distance from Fatu Hiva?

09 May 2015
Alan/ Warmer and More Humid
pos 10d 00 S - 135d 31 W and yet another time zone. 7:45 am our time; 12:45pm your time
Fatu Hiva at 190nm!! We could just about swim there now!
It's again warmer and more humid.

Wind definitely down to 14-15kts right from the back so we slowed down significantly because the wind that pushes us is the apparent wind, not the true wind, and at 6kts on the ground with a wind of 14kts that gives us only 8kts of apparent wind which isn't much. Actually the nice current which is still with us at 1 kt (our speed thru water is only about 5) robs us of an extra knot of apparent wind. We probably could go faster by rolling up jib and reacher, hoisting spinnaker and main, and running a course 30d from the wind (which would generate apparent wind); it would be longer since it's away from our desired heading but the gain in speed would make up for it. But we're in the tropics so we're in a tropical frame of mind....Don't worry, be happy, tralala (cf Bobby Ma Ferrin)
....
Haven't you gone to daylight savings time?
We are now UTC -9. We just got into a new time zone at 135W. FP is UTC -10; so we'll have to set our clocks back another hour tomorrow as well.
Nathaniel saw a bunch of shooting stars last night. We can't see the gd Southern Cross, but there are some good looking constellations to the South. And the Milky Way looks good too. We saw a bright polar orbiting satellite which was nice (a sign of human presence!).
Yesterday we watched the Interview. We also charged the batteries to their max which took for ever (we need to do that occasionally). I really have to work on the energy production on the boat because not having to run the engine to charge the batteries would be great.
...
Great for Jo [to get an interview at another college.] What kind of job is Dickinson's? Is it up her alley or not? I'm dying to know how it turns out.

So what's going on for the Jeep????
Could you play tennis with evan in Tallahassee?
... Nat and Evan want to take the boat by themselves from Raiatea to Samoa next year. Actually they want to finish the circumnavigation, especially Nat, over the next few years.

Alan
Comments
Vessel Name: Taya
Vessel Make/Model: Passoa 50
Hailing Port: Dover, Delaware
Crew: Alan Cresswell and Katy Clay
Extra: Katy, author posting the blog.
Social:
Taya's Photos - Main
Fall 2019 trip from Puerto Montt to Puerto WIlliam
10 Photos
Created 6 November 2019
December 2017
1 Photo
Created 27 December 2017
Prep for the Southern Ocean
No Photos
Created 10 November 2017
New Zealand prep
No Photos
Created 10 November 2017
3 Photos
Created 3 October 2017
3 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
2 Photos
Created 24 January 2015