Taya's voyages after Patagonia

After Chilean "canales" from Puerto Montt to Puerto Williams in 2019, In 2020, Taya moves up the South Atlantic Coast, from Tierra Del Fuego to Baltimore.

Carnival Cruise?!

11 February 2018 | 1300 nm west of Chile
Alan/sunny skies
Just a few miles away from the next time zone!
Course 95d at about 4.5 kts Winds NNW at about 10 kts... sun shining, yeah baby, this is a Carnival cruise!
1345NM from waypoint at the Southern tip of Chiloe Island (south of Puerto Montt and probably the place where we get inland - then sail on the lee of CHiloe 100nm North to Puerto Montt)

We're gonna need Spanish in Puerto Montt...... Aie aie caramba!
Yesterday was a great day. Dinner received rave reviews (I made boatmade hummus and Janneke made a couscous salad with peas corn sundried tomatoes cherry tomatoes and other stuff) and then it was 3 episodes of Big Bang Theory with 2 cookies each! We still are eating well. I am making sourdough starter which seems to actually be working. It occupies tropical real estate next to the computer and thus as actually started making bubbles. With the warming trend we also saw 2 cockroaches that I immediately sent back to their makers. The sailing was also nice yesterday. We had the jib poled out on port and the staysail to starboard and no main. The boat was pretty much flat and the sun was shining. So we hung out in the cockpit for the first time in probably more than 2 weeks. All the while going at an average of 5 knots. There were some huge swells (at least 6m (20') some of them) in about 17 kts of wind so they were not even cresting for the most part but steep enough so that the boat would accelerate by a couple knots on their front and slow down on their back. With proper sail area we probably would have surfed down some of them, but proper sail area requires 2 rudders! Nevertheless we made about 110NM in 24 hours by 8pm. Today winds are lighter and more from the North so I de-poled the jib and hoisted the main again (and the jury-rigged halyard system still works very well). Because of our reduced speed the hydro generator doesn't produce as much but this is offset by the wind generator when the winds are above about 16kts (btw, this new wind generator is 10 time better than the old one) so since we used the autopilot yesterday we kinda depleted our batteries; so I rigged the wind pilot back up, and fixed a couple problems with the vane that iI noticed as I was setting it. It is amazing how every moving part in a boat must be inspected regularly and fixed asap. Little problems only grow bigger. I also noticed during a routine check of the transom (steering, vane, hydrogenerator) that the top fitting of the hydro generator had worked itself loose and so the fitting is moving back and forth about 1/2'" as the generator swings back and forth. Since it is bolted to the transom I am wondering if it is not part of the reason we keep getting water in the bilge since that fitting is under water at every wave that passes under us. SO today the docket includes emptying the aft starboard locker to both get to 120l of water (remember the watermaker problem?) in reserve jerrycans as well as tighten that generator bolt. And I hope that I have unfairly blamed the fore peak for the persistent water ingress.
I think that my singing is slowly improving from atrocious to less atrocious (did I already say that earlier.... I am so vain) and my rhythm acuity is not entirely random any more. So I can go through the City of New Orleans, Long black Veil and Wagon wheel without creating a cat 5 hurricane. Janneke has not even complained yet (mind you she hasn't said that I could sing well either!)

Comments
Vessel Name: Taya
Vessel Make/Model: Passoa 50
Hailing Port: Dover, Delaware
Crew: Alan Cresswell and Katy Clay
Extra: Katy, author posting the blog.
Social:
Taya's Photos - Main
Fall 2019 trip from Puerto Montt to Puerto WIlliam
10 Photos
Created 6 November 2019
December 2017
1 Photo
Created 27 December 2017
Prep for the Southern Ocean
No Photos
Created 10 November 2017
New Zealand prep
No Photos
Created 10 November 2017
3 Photos
Created 3 October 2017
3 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
2 Photos
Created 24 January 2015