Taya's voyages after Patagonia

After Chilean "canales" from Puerto Montt to Puerto Williams in 2019, In 2020, Taya moves up the South Atlantic Coast, from Tierra Del Fuego to Baltimore.

Maybe the emergency system is working, for now...

21 February 2018 | 769 miles west of Valdivia
Alan
10am
I just streamed out the drogue and it works very well using a setup a lot simpler than what I thought we were going to need. The 2 lines of the drogue go to the starboard and port cockpit winches and by adjusting the tension we can go pretty much where we want and we don't have to be constantly adjusting. So no need for the autopilot to be on and connected in a weird way to the drogue. Once in a while we can pull one side or the other to adjust the course. What's important is that we don't have to constantly pull and ease the lines. maybe every 10' or so. Right now we're motoring at about 3 kts in the right direction. And with the sails it was ok as well. So in these conditions it is totally doable. The question is what happens in 15 to 25 of wind. If we have a gale we can stream the other drogue and rudders are irrelevant.
So right now Janneke and I agreed on the following plan:
Try the drogue for a couple days (through this light conditions and stronger condition tomorrow and maybe Friday)
Re-assess Friday.
The closer we get to the coast the more ships and therefore the easier the rescue if needed.
We are 769 nm from Valdivia. Our position is 40d 67m S - 90d09m W. We might even make it to the next time zone today at 90d W which will be the same time as you.
Comments
Vessel Name: Taya
Vessel Make/Model: Passoa 50
Hailing Port: Dover, Delaware
Crew: Alan Cresswell and Katy Clay
Extra: Katy, author posting the blog.
Social:
Taya's Photos - Main
Fall 2019 trip from Puerto Montt to Puerto WIlliam
10 Photos
Created 6 November 2019
December 2017
1 Photo
Created 27 December 2017
Prep for the Southern Ocean
No Photos
Created 10 November 2017
New Zealand prep
No Photos
Created 10 November 2017
3 Photos
Created 3 October 2017
3 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
2 Photos
Created 24 January 2015