WELCOME ABOARD VOYAGEUR

11 July 2016
01 April 2016
28 November 2012
27 November 2012
30 September 2011
28 August 2011
16 April 2011
08 January 2011
12 November 2010
27 October 2010
31 August 2010
27 August 2008 | Litchfield, CT
29 December 2007 | Litchfield, CT

In The Beginning

27 October 2010
Dear Friends and Family ~

Jane and I began sailing together aboard our first s/v Voyageur back in 1994. We sailed her on Lake Texoma, about 75 miles north of Dallas, for five years, missing very few weekends regardless of temperature or precipitation.

However, our first shared boating experience took place on a ferry ride from Swan Quarter, NC, to the outer banks island of Ocracoke some ten years earlier on a hot, windless September afternoon.

We stayed at the Ocracoke Inn, a two story wood frame motel with an attached restaurant . . . casual, almost diner like . . . with formica topped tables and paper place mats. Each white place mat was featureless save for lacey, embossed edges and a saying of one sort or another printed in the lower right hand corner. On mine was printed, "It doesn't matter if you're rich or broke, you're always welcome at Ocracoke."



When we offered a Master Charge card (remember those?) to the waitress to pay our lunch bill, she informed us that credit cards were not accepted in the restaurant. So I walked over to the cash register, place mat in hand, and asked if it was true that "it doesn't matter if you're rich or broke, you're always welcome in Ocracoke." The lady at the register said that "no, it wasn't literally true" and, since we had almost no cash between us at that point, Jane and I hopped on the bikes we had with us and peddled twelve miles up to the Hatteras Inlet, ferried across and rode to the only ATM in town at the time. When we got back to the Ocracoke Inn, flush with crisp $20 bills, it was supper time and the last ferry back had already departed. Realizing that our trip had thus been extended by a day, we booked our room for another night, payed for lunch, sipped a couple of beers and enjoyed a delicious, deep fried Fisherman's Sampler dinner as the sun set over Ocracoke harbor.

Tonight we'll be docked at River Dunes Marina near Oriental, NC, just a few miles from where we caught the Ocracoke ferry over twenty-six years ago. And to this day, the quiet little community of Swan Quarter remains an integral part of our first . . . and one of our fondest . . . shared boating memories.

Bob & Jane Fulton
Oct 2010
Comments
Vessel Name: Voyageur
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 40
Hailing Port: Portsmouth, RI
Crew: Bob & Jane Fulton
About: First sail . . . Oshkosh Yacht Club, Lake Winnebago, in 1953 on an M16. First sail together . . . Lake Texoma in 1994 on an ODay 322. We're now full time cruisers aboard our Island Packet 40 cutter Voyageur with cruising friends from Nova Scotia to the Bahamas. It's what cruising is all about.
Extra: DAS BOAT ~ LOA - 41'6" Beam - 12'11'' Displ - 22,800lb Sail Area - 907 sq ft 2 Staterooms; 2 Heads
Voyageur's Photos - Main
At midnight on January 2, 2013, we headed through Little Harbor Reef and left the Abacos for a two month trip down and back up the incredibly beautiful Exumas island chain.
38 Photos
Created 6 April 2013
On July 26, 2012, we left Voyageur in Man-O-War Cay and flew from Marsh Harbour to Miami. Then we picked up our old Honda in St. Augustine and set off on three and a half months of visits with family and friends. The trip which we dubbed "The Great Sofa Tour of 2012" would take us from the Bahamas to Florida, Connecticut, Nova Scotia, Maine, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Wisconsin, Indiana, Maryland, Virginia and North Carolina. And to all who opened their hearts and homes to us, we offer our thanks for making this trip of a life time possible ! This is your story too.
28 Photos
Created 1 December 2012
We leave Voyageur in St. Augustine and return to the canals and locks of the United Kingdom for our third narrowboat cruise.
56 Photos
Created 24 November 2009
Back in St. Augustine from the Abacos.
7 Photos
Created 15 July 2009
The Abacos are the islands and cays that comprise the Northern Bahamas.
46 Photos
Created 23 April 2009
From Lake Worth (West palm Beach), we set out across the Gulf Stream bound for the Little Bahama Bank and Great Sale Cay on our way to the Abacos.
16 Photos
Created 23 April 2009
From St. Augustine, we head further South for Lake Worth, near West Palm Beach, a popular jumping off point for the Bahamas . . . Mile 776 to Mile 1014
45 Photos
Created 10 March 2009
After a 9 degree wind chill and frost on the deck in Fernandina Beach, we finally find warm weather in Florida and some good ol' friends too . . . Mile 716 to Mile 776
30 Photos
Created 24 February 2009
Joined by Bobby and Starr, we point the bow South once again in search of warm breezes and Florida sunshine . . . Mile 563 to Mile 716
22 Photos
Created 20 February 2009
In this leg, we're bound from Calabash Creek to Shelter Cove Marina on Hilton Head Island where we'll leave the boat for a month of holiday visiting in the Northeast . . . Mile 342 to Mile 563
54 Photos
Created 20 February 2009
We left Oriental on Dec 3. In this part of our journey we were introduced to the Carolina low country, anchored with the Marines at Camp Lejeune, experienced the most unusual bridge opening of the entire waterway and saw our first Dolphins . . . Mile 181 to Mile 342
24 Photos
Created 20 February 2009
On November 17 we begin following rivers and crossing sounds on our way South to Oriental, NC . . . Mile 51 to Mile 181
11 Photos
Created 19 February 2009
Our first "official" leg on the Intracoastal Waterway . . . Mile 0 to Mile 51
25 Photos
Created 18 February 2009
While we spent the month of October on this magnificent body of water , winter caught up to us.
19 Photos
Created 13 February 2009
Our voyage finally begins.
12 Photos
Created 8 October 2008
Getting ready to cast off, we sell most of our land life things and move aboard.
8 Photos
Created 27 September 2008
Exploring the canal and lock system in England and Wales with friends Bobby & Starr, we discuss our cruising dreams.
8 Photos
Created 5 July 2008
These boats taught me to sail and readied me for cruising.
8 Photos
Created 4 July 2008