Water & Wine

Sailor since the age of seven. Wine guy. Regularly wandering, wondering, exploring, and living aboard Windrunner, my Catalina 42, docked in Cabrillo Marina, San Pedro, CA.

01 February 2016 | Cabrillo Marina
09 December 2014 | Fourth of July Cove to Cabrillo Marina, San Pedro
09 December 2014 | Avalon to 4th of July Cove
09 December 2014 | Cat Harbor to Avalon, Catalina Island
06 December 2014 | Catalina Harbor, Catalina Island
06 December 2014 | Cherry Cove, Catalina Island
04 December 2014 | Cabrillo Marina
30 November 2014 | Isthmus Cove, Catalina Island
02 August 2014 | Cabrillo Marina, San Pedro
03 November 2013 | Cabrillo Marina, San Pedro, CA
05 September 2013 | Cabrillo Marina, San Pedro, CA
19 August 2013 | San Pedro, CA and west...
06 August 2013 | San Diego -> Oceanside -> San Pedro
01 August 2013 | San Diego, CA
26 July 2013 | San Diego
20 July 2013 | Nowhere, Texas
05 July 2013 | North Atlanta, GA
07 June 2013 | 30,000 feet somewhere between LA and Atlanta

My first Catalina Island trip - WOW!

05 September 2013 | Cabrillo Marina, San Pedro, CA
Tom L. Spectacularly perfect
My last blog was about the trip over. This one completes the stay and return to San Pedro.

I'll just start by saying that if you've not been to Catalina, you have to go. Just beautiful. Far enough away to feel like you're disconnected, but only 20 miles from San Pedro, so not too far (averaging about 6 knots, we were there and back in a bit over 3.5 hours each way). The water and wind on the way there and back are awesome. It was a fantastic sail.

The coves and moorings and anchorages are quite diverse. And if all you can do it take the Express, go to Two Harbors, which has several little coves, Catalina Harbor, and a marine reserve, all within walking distance. It is much more quite, family-oriented, and less "party central" than Avalon (which is also beautiful).

We also sailed down the coast of the island, from Two Harbors to While's Landing (Moonstone Cove, actually) - we being my friend John O, who took the Express out Saturday to join me and sail back. WOW. Bluest water I've ever seen. Amazing cliffs and mountains down to the ocean. Seals, dolphins, etc. all over.

I flew the gennaker for the first time. That was great! Windrunner really sails well; she likes to get in her groove, with well set sails, not pinched or driving too hard. Just give her a good set and a steady helm and wind in the mid- to upper teens, and she will give you a steady 7 knots. She is really fun to sail.

Check out the additional pics I uploaded to the gallery to see what I mean about how pretty the island and ocean are. Then make your plans to go.

_/)

Comments
Vessel Name: Windrunner
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42
Hailing Port: Cabrillo Marina, San Pedro, CA
Crew: Tom Lynch, and whatever friends stop by to sail.
About: Skipper: Tom L. Liveaboard, single-hander, sailing guide for friends and neighbors. First mates: Mo and Michelle. Neither aboard permanently, both aboard regularly (though not enough for my taste). Crew: John and his brood, various friends, family, neighbors, etc.

Water & Wine

Who: Tom Lynch, and whatever friends stop by to sail.
Port: Cabrillo Marina, San Pedro, CA