Water & Wine

Sailor since the age of seven. Wine guy. Regularly wandering, wondering, exploring, and living aboard Windrunner, my Catalina 42, docked in Cabrillo Marina, San Pedro, CA.

01 February 2016 | Cabrillo Marina
09 December 2014 | Fourth of July Cove to Cabrillo Marina, San Pedro
09 December 2014 | Avalon to 4th of July Cove
09 December 2014 | Cat Harbor to Avalon, Catalina Island
06 December 2014 | Catalina Harbor, Catalina Island
06 December 2014 | Cherry Cove, Catalina Island
04 December 2014 | Cabrillo Marina
30 November 2014 | Isthmus Cove, Catalina Island
02 August 2014 | Cabrillo Marina, San Pedro
03 November 2013 | Cabrillo Marina, San Pedro, CA
05 September 2013 | Cabrillo Marina, San Pedro, CA
19 August 2013 | San Pedro, CA and west...
06 August 2013 | San Diego -> Oceanside -> San Pedro
01 August 2013 | San Diego, CA
26 July 2013 | San Diego
20 July 2013 | Nowhere, Texas
05 July 2013 | North Atlanta, GA
07 June 2013 | 30,000 feet somewhere between LA and Atlanta

Circumnavigation Day 4: Closing the circle

09 December 2014 | Avalon to 4th of July Cove
Tom, sunny with a nice breeze from the west, calm seas
Today was our fourth straight day off the grid and on the water; all water we brought along, all electricity we generated ourselves. I've found living aboard the last 18 months that living a simplified lifestyle brings a lot of clarity to self and surroundings. That is definitely taken up a notch moving past uninhabited stretches completely disconnected from modern things as basic as a water and electrical system. And Avalon didn't fit that feel.

After a quick and nice breakfast at Jack's, we headed back towards the Isthmus area early. It was the warmest day yet, and we got to enjoy being up on deck without being completely bundled up. Before long we were approaching the Isthmus, and passing the spot on the island where we anchored our first night to complete the circumnavigation before heading for an empty Fourth of July Cove for the evening. It is really a beautiful little place, surrounded by cliffs and tucked in behind several points and other coves that give it great protection from prevailing westerly winds and swells. The quiet isolation of it felt much more in line with our mood.

We spent the day taking the dinghy around the little coves, walking around the quieter parts of the island, finally finding a tree we could climb into and enjoy some poetry while the sun set. It was a quiet, reflective and really quite magical day. But the lights of Los Angeles were 24 miles across the ocean, and tomorrow would draw us back to what the locals of the little village of Two Harbors refer to as "America." More than ever before, I understood the sentiment.
Comments
Vessel Name: Windrunner
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42
Hailing Port: Cabrillo Marina, San Pedro, CA
Crew: Tom Lynch, and whatever friends stop by to sail.
About: Skipper: Tom L. Liveaboard, single-hander, sailing guide for friends and neighbors. First mates: Mo and Michelle. Neither aboard permanently, both aboard regularly (though not enough for my taste). Crew: John and his brood, various friends, family, neighbors, etc.

Water & Wine

Who: Tom Lynch, and whatever friends stop by to sail.
Port: Cabrillo Marina, San Pedro, CA