Watts Up

30 January 2013 | Legacy Harbour Marina, Fort Myers, FL
25 January 2013 | Legacy Harbour Marina, Fort Myers, FL
21 January 2013 | Roland Martin's marina
18 January 2013 | now in Mariner's Cay Marina, Stuart Fl
13 January 2013 | NewSmyrna Beach City Marina
10 January 2013 | Comachee Cove Marina, St. Augustine, FL
08 January 2013 | Comachee Cove Marina, St. Augustine, FL
07 January 2013 | St. Marys Georgia
04 January 2013 | St. Marys Georgia
12 April 2012 | Pelican Harbor Marina, Miami, FL
09 April 2012 | Bimini Sands Marina, South Bimini, Bahamas
06 April 2012 | Great Harbour Cay Marina, Great Harbour Cay, The Berrys, Bahamas
05 April 2012 | Sandy Point, Abaco
02 April 2012 | Treasure Cay, Abaco, Bahamas
25 March 2012 | Treasure Cay, Bahamas
18 March 2012 | Treasure Cay, Bahamas
12 March 2012 | Treasure Cay, Bahamas
07 March 2012 | Treasure Cay, Great Abaco, Bahamas
04 March 2012 | Treasure Cay, Great Abaco, Bahamas
01 March 2012 | Spanish Wells, Bahamas

Leaving Sandy Point

05 April 2012 | Sandy Point, Abaco
Barb/sunny 25
Apr. 3/2012
The first day of our trip home was spent motor sailing south. We had to zig zag all over the place to avoid various reefs, sand banks and shallow areas. Lovely day, lots of boats especially at Sandy Cay. We entered Little Harbour before 2PM and picked up a mooring. Let down the dinghy to go to shore, motor wouldn’t start. Something wrong with the mechanism that prevents the motor from starting in gear. So off we went rowing to shore, but a kindly boater in his dinghy towed us in. Boaters are a close community, everyone helps everyone else. You never know when you will be the one needing help.
We spent an hour or so walking around Little Harbour, enjoying the beach and jungle atmosphere. Pete’s pub is a lively place, right on the beach, full of all ages and rowdy. Hot hot day, Sammy surprised us by flopping down under a tree and refusing to go any further. He has never done that before. So we let him off the leash and he went in the water and stayed there, paralleling us as we walked along the beach. On the way back to the boat we got another tow from a retired American couple on a sailing cat, so we invited them for drinks. When we got back to our boat, Tom reluctantly tackled the motor. He hates mechanic sort of work. Anyway, one hour of sweating and swearing later, Tom had it fixed. He always manages despite insisting that he cannot fix things.
Our new American friends joined us for drinks later, bringing snacks and wine. We chatted away for hours, she was a retired OR nurse so we had lots in common. I learned a new trick with the lazy jacks from her husband. Classic Americans, nice people with hair raising political opinions, we’re talking mandatory gun ownership and eugenics, and I am not 100% sure he was kidding!
Tom and I went out for my birthday dinner at Pete’s . What a setting, sitting on a deck overlooking a harbour full of sailboats, watching the sun set. Great food. All in all a great day.

Apr. 4
Not such a great day. Motoring upwind all the way to Hole in the Wall at the southern tip of Abaco. Not rough at all but suddenly, a loud bang and our dinghy davit gave way! Had to lower the dinghy and trail it behind. The davit is OK but it was tethered to the starboard stanchion and that is snapped through. Pics will be posted on the web for Jim our boat partner. We were able to sail up the west coast of Abaco to Sandy Point but not much wind, then as we were docking at Lightbourne’s Marina, a gust of wind threw us at the dock and we lost a good deal of the rub rail. That took an hour of sweat and hammering to fix. Tired of things going wrong! The marina has no power and the OII internet we paid for is not operational. Not unusual in the Bahamas, they’ll fix it someday.
Went for a walk with Sammy, exceedingly friendly people. Everyone stops to say hello and meet Sammy. Nice place.
Leaving this morning for the Berrys
Comments
Vessel Name: Watts Up
Vessel Make/Model: Gemini 105MC
Hailing Port: Montreal, QC
Crew: Tom and Barbara Watts
About:
We are a Canadian couple from Shelburne, Ontario. Tom is a retired printing plant owner and former pilot. Barb is a family doctor who sold her practice in April of 2009 and now works as a full time emergency physician when she is not sailing. [...]
Extra: We decided to sail after Barb read a book called "An Embarassment of Mangoes". We learned to sail in Pensacola Florida in 2009 from Captain Rick Cumby and bought our boat, a 2002 Gemini 102 MC, hull 783 a week later.

Watts Up

Who: Tom and Barbara Watts
Port: Montreal, QC