SailBlogs
Bookmark and Share
Wayward Wind's Wanderings
Heading for Long Island March 10
Roland
03/06/2010, Underway on the Great Bahama Bank, Bahamas

Heading for Long Island March 10

Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 10 AM Underway on the Great Bahama Bank, Bahamas Water temperature 73 F

Yesterday we did the laundry, bought provisions (ouch!), checked our Yahoo e-mail, called home on Skipe, stowed the dinghy and got the boat ready to go sailing. This morning we pulled anchor at Sand Dollar, raised the main with one reef, unrolled the jenny and headed out. The wind is blowing from 12 K to 20 K and we are on a reach with our boat speed varying from 5 K to 6.5 K!!!!, depending on the wind speed. The boat is rolling around some and going out the cut was a bit rough but all in all it's a fine sailing day. It will almost be an anchor up to anchor down sail and you can't ask for more that that.

We enjoyed our time in George Town but it feels good to finally be underway and heading out. Not sure where "Out" is, we'll figure that out as we go. For the next few days we'll be in Thompson Bay, Long Island.

George Town March 10 IV
Roland
03/04/2010, Anchored at Red Shanks, Great Exuma Island, Exuma, Bahamas

George Town March 10 IV

Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 10 AM Anchored at Red Shanks, Great Exuma Island, Exuma, Bahamas Water temperature 71 F

It's a cold (65 F), clear windy day. We will stay right here at Red Shanks for another day. We could move the big boat to Kidds Cove today without a problem. But to then take the dinghy into Lake Victoria would be like riding a bucking bronco. For some reason the waves in Kidds Cove look like the inside of a washing machine in any kind of wind. Our chores in town can wait for another day.

George Town March 10 III
Roland
03/03/2010, Anchored at Red Shanks, Great Exuma Island, Exuma, Bahamas

George Town March 10 III

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 11 AM Anchored at Red Shanks, Great Exuma Island, Exuma, Bahamas Water temperature 71 F

Hopefully we are riding out our last front for awhile. The wind shifted west and picked up just about sunset yesterday so at least we didn't have to wait until 2 AM to find out if the anchor was going to reset in a new direction. We didn't budge and except for a brief shower about 9 PM, we haven't had any squalls come our way. The squalls are always a concern as they can easily have 40 K winds or higher.

We will just bounce around here at anchor today and make travel plans. Now that all the activities that we wanted to be in G' Town for are complete; once we stock up on groceries and do the laundry, we will be sailing out as soon as weather permits. Tomorrow could be a grocery and laundry day and Friday could be a sail away day.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]

 

 
Powered by SailBlogs