Wetnose

S/Y Wetnose

Port: Gibraltar
06 July 2013 | Toau Atoll, Tuamotu Islands, French Polynesia
01 June 2013 | East of New Zealand
25 May 2013 | Gulf Harbour Marina, New Zealand
25 May 2013 | Gulf Harbour Marina, New Zealand
25 May 2013 | Gulf Harbour Marina, New Zealand
02 November 2011 | Russell, Bay of Islands, NZ
01 November 2011 | Opua, Bay of Islands, NZ
30 October 2011 | Noumea to Opua
15 October 2011 | New Caledonia
13 October 2011 | Ile Ouen, New Caledonia
05 October 2011 | Ile Nemou, New Caledonia
03 October 2011 | Baie de Santol, Lifou, New Caledonia
29 September 2011 | Moulle Island, Ouvea atoll, Loyalty Islands, New Caledonia
24 September 2011 | Port Vila, Vanuatu
18 September 2011 | Mele Island, Vanuatu
17 September 2011 | Moulle Island, Ouvea atoll, Loyalty Islands, New Caledonia
16 September 2011 | Port Vila, Vanuatu
16 September 2011 | Port Vila Harbor
11 July 2011 | 24 hours sail W of Fiji
11 July 2011 | 24 hours sail W of Fiji

First days in New Zealand

01 November 2011 | Opua, Bay of Islands, NZ
Stacy
Real cruisers are undeterred by a few raindrops (November 1st ) �- �"I�'m up! I�'m up!�" and then I waited �- for Jim�'s cell phone to charge, for the computer thingy to be found, for Dave to have some tea�.... But adventure awaits! Let�'s go!

Finally, off the boat in between the rain drops, taking the dinghy to shore where our rent-a-wreck awaits. Hang a left and let�'s take the scenic route to Kerikeri. To say the landscape is green is to minimize the variety of colors and shades of beauty. I know we have a goal, but I see buildings�... and is that a bakery I see? �"Quick, pull over. There�'s an egg and bacon sandwich with my name on it!�" Grabbed the sandwiches and walked down the street to the coffee shop. Flat whites and mochachino awaits. Inside, The Blacks are properly honored on EVERY wall. Well caffiene�'d, we doubled back by the car to find a fabulous shop, The Grass Hut. Had to go in. Turns out, this little town of Kawakawa (extra good because they named it twice) was the home of the German architect, Hundertwasser. A couple of the stores had columns designed by him out front with gardens on the roofs. How avante guarde!

Back on the road, we approached Kerikeri and Dave said we had to stop for a bio-break. The first place we came to was Makana, the chocolate factory. I�'m sure they have a bathroom! As we walked in the door, wouldn�'t you know they were sharing free samples. Uh oh! Watched them make macadamia nut toffee and truffles by hand while the owner (just came over from Ireland 15 years ago) told us all about the business and his personal journey to New Zealand. Of course, Joel struck up a conversation with some of the ladies in the shop and we couldn�'t leave without a purchase!

Next door, the Kauri Shop had amazing pieces of wood carved into everything we could want. I couldn�'t stop touching the wood as it was sanded to the smoothest perfection. Many of the pieces were inlaid with abalone shells. If only there was a cheese board with 2 shells (for fig jam and olives) that�'s small enough to stow on Rhiannon�... but my pocketbook was saved. Alas, the shopkeeper said we HAD to see the trees and they�'re not far from where we are. With directions in hand, we headed onward, but first to Kerikeri. The Stone Store is the oldest standing building in New Zealand. It�'s been the post office and a general store. Had to go in. It�'s now a gift shop. What? Some crew stayed behind in the car�... with the directions, �"take pictures so we know what we�'ve missed.�" Next door, the Kemp House was a lovely example of English gardening, but instead of taking the tour, we just snapped pictures of the outside and marveled at the bridge that washed away. In front, we marveled at t he large sail boats that had come up the river and anchored right off the site. Hey, I never thought of painting my boat mustard yellow!

Onward! Through the downpour, up and over the hills, by the cows and sheep, the road winds and winds again. Then the pavement turns to gravel, and we talk to a cow or two for a few minutes. Around the next bend, the Puketi Forest. This is truly a tropical rain forest. The rain is coming down hard enough that I�'m not sure how smart it is to take my camera out but I HAVE to take pictures. I started thinking about the story, �"The Butterfly Effect�" as the walkway is raised on curving slats that slope and wind gently around the trees. The mosses and ferns create depth and layers. I can smell the green and then the Kauri, like giant columns, rise from the ground so high that they hold up the sky. These trees seem to start like any other, branching and winding to find the sunlight, but when they reach the canopy, they have no need for their lower branches and they are shed. The trunk fattens with time and the only branches are above. Kauri must have made the first explorers giggle as they thought of replacing their ship�'s masts. The hard wood needs nothing but to take off the outer bark. The sap was prized on its own as it could be melted to create the first linoleum and varnish. I was awed by the beauty, the rain that filled my ears and the fresh scent of the forest filling my eyes and nose.

Back in the car, we retraced our path until the fork in the road. Maybe it was the fork that reminded us it was time for lunch. I suggested a winery, but Jim wanted to partake (designated driver), so we kept going. Soon, along the left of highway 11, a lovely café presented itself. I asked Amanda, the waitress, what her favorite thing was to eat, so I had the fish and chips. Crispy and hot, the batter was thicker than Jim likes, but it was so British! The dory (fish) was warm and the comfort-food I needed. Dave had a steak and onion panini and Joel had a burger that can only be described as �'everything including the kitchen sink.�" Apparently the Kiwi like beets on their burgers. Who would have thunk it? Loved the colors �- carrot, beets, lettuce, thousand island dressing, tomato �- a rainbow of tastes.

We were supposed to go to a pot luck back at the yacht club for the rallye group, but that�'s not quite how the evening turned out. We got back to the boat, put some acorn squash in the oven, and then someone unzipped the clouds. About the time we were to leave, we all looked at each other and said, �"how about making a little something to go with the squash and stay dry?�" Spaghetti and meatballs did just fine!
Comments
Vessel Name: Wetnose
Vessel Make/Model: Van Dam Nordia 19m steel pilothouse cutter
Hailing Port: Gibraltar
Extra: Wetnose Institute of Advanced Pelagic Studies

S/Y Wetnose

Port: Gibraltar