Whippersnapper

Mike and Hugh almost circumnavigating the world.

12 February 2013 | Sydney
08 November 2012 | Sydney
29 October 2012 | Coffs Harbour
22 October 2012 | Noumea
19 October 2012 | Noumea, New Caledonia
08 October 2012 | Fayaoue, Ouvea Atoll - New Caledonia
07 October 2012 | Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu
09 September 2012 | Tanna
01 September 2012 | Fiji
26 August 2012 | Vuda Point Marina
14 August 2012 | Navunivi Village
05 August 2012
26 July 2012
16 July 2012
08 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Bora Bora
25 June 2012 | Moorea

The Rock (aka Niue)

16 July 2012
Hugh
We had a great passage to Niue from Palmerston, one of the few we've had wind the whole way!

Lying on the direct route from French Polynesia to Vava'u in Tonga, Niue is one of the smallest island states in the world with a population of less than 1500. They exist as a self governing nation in free association with New Zealand and citizens all have duel citizenship. A coral atoll that has been uplifted above sea level (normally atolls are sinking) which makes Niue quite unique in the south pacific. The ancient coral forms limestone (hence nicknamed 'the rock') and fossilised coral is visible all over the island. The porous limestone leads to numerous fresh water springs, caves, caverns, chasms and the most amazingly clear water you've ever seen. Visibility underwater is up to 80M! Despite all the beauty it's not perfect for visiting by yacht as the anchorage is super rolly and because of a surge at the dock there's no easy way to get ashore and to prevent damage we need to hoist our dinghy out of the water with a big crane.

Niueans though have to be the friendliest people we've met, locals have gone out of their way to help, offer lifts and befriend us. Keith (commodore of the Niue Yacht Club - of which their are more members worldwide than residents) is a most obliging fellow and has basically acted as our tour guide to ensure we got the most out of our visit. On hearing over the radio, for example, that we were collecting two crew (my sister Kate and nephew Tom) here in Niue he jumped on the radio to offer us a lift to the airport that afternoon if you just walk along the road cars slow to offer a lift there's no crime, it's brilliant.

We met my eldest sister Kate and her son Tom at the airport and we've been having a great time since, all the swimming pools and caves are wonderful to explore, The photo above is of Limu Pools, one of the beautiful places we stopped to snorkel. It's interesting snorkelling because there is a fresh water spring and a layer of cool fresh water floats above the warmer sea water, it's chilly floating on top but if you dive under it's nice and warm. We really enjoyed snorkelling around the anchorage too as we saw, sea snakes, sharks, moray eels and loads of fish. Mike and I also saw a humpback whale. Underwater there are cool limestone formations making caves and tunnels you can swim through. The clarity of the water is just amazing, never seen anything like it.

Now we're watching the weather for our next passage with Kate and Tom to Vava'u in Tonga. Unfortunately it looks like light winds again, possibly we'll leave tomorrow. Tonight we're going out for 'pot luck' dinner with the other cruisers at the yacht club.

I almost forgot about the biggest luxury here in Niue free internet!!! French Polynesia we had to pay for internet horror!!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Whippersnapper
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 46
Hailing Port: Sydney
Crew: Michael Connolly & Hugh Murray-Walker
About: Skipper Hugh and First Mate Mike
Extra: In port you may contact us on our respective email addresses, alternatively while at sea our sat-phone has an email address which is the name of our yacht followed by @mailasail.com
Whippersnapper's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.