Whippersnapper

Mike and Hugh almost circumnavigating the world.

12 February 2013 | Sydney
08 November 2012 | Sydney
29 October 2012 | Coffs Harbour
22 October 2012 | Noumea
19 October 2012 | Noumea, New Caledonia
08 October 2012 | Fayaoue, Ouvea Atoll - New Caledonia
07 October 2012 | Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu
09 September 2012 | Tanna
01 September 2012 | Fiji
26 August 2012 | Vuda Point Marina
14 August 2012 | Navunivi Village
05 August 2012
26 July 2012
16 July 2012
08 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Bora Bora
25 June 2012 | Moorea

Musket Cove & Liz

01 September 2012 | Fiji
Mike
After five days on the hard, we slipped a gleaming Whippersnapper back into the water with a huge sigh of relief. While everything went exactly to plan and we were really happy with the quality of work (a big thank you to the guys at Yacht Help for a great job), it is still a little daunting when wind gets up during the night and the boat starts to sway knowing you are only being held upright by six posts. In fact one night we felt the boat swaying a lot more than usual and found out the next morning that one of the posts had moved a foot leaving Whippersnapper hanging on by the minimum of margins – scary!

Once back in the water we were keen to get going again so headed straight to the Malolo islands and the famous Musket Cove. We heard it was a nice place but were overwhelmed by just how good it was, so much so we ended up spending the next five nights there. Musket Cove is a resort built by a cruiser with cruisers in mind. It has everything from a marina, to mooring field, swimming pools, bars, cafes, restaurants, golf course, supermarket, dive shops and an airstrip. Upon arrival the captain pays $1 and each crew $5 for lifetime membership, which gives you access to all the facilities. Being a resort you can open an account and pay for everything at the end of your stay. A typical day would be spent snorkelling in the outer reefs, relaxing in the pool during the afternoon and then onto the sunset bar for a bbq. They had huge open fire bbq’s that they lit at 4pm every evening and welcomed cruisers to bring their own food to cook there. A simple but brilliant idea that so many other places should take up. The supermarket even provided bbq packs with meat, roast potatoes, yummy garlic bread and juicy salads.

There was little wind during the week but on Friday it started to blow for a few hours so lots of kite boards appeared out of nowhere. We grabbed ours and headed to a tiny sand bank with ten other kites. It was a wonderful sight to see and Hugh had a great time on ours. Unfortunately the wind got up too much and the sand bank disappeared with the tide so I didn’t make it out. I’m way behind Hugh in experience now so have a lot of catching up to do! Hugh still has a big smile on his face from the day.

Yesterday we headed back to Port Denarau to meet our friend Elizabeth (Liz) who along with her friend Nicole flew in from Auckland to spend the weekend at the Hilton resort. We had a great evening catching up on old times with a few too many drinks. Great fun was had. We're actually lying by their hotel pool now as we urge Liz and Nicole to join in on the pool aerobics. Fiji has been one of our favourite countries since leaving the Med last year but time has come to check out tomorrow and sail to Vanuatu. It’s a four-day passage to the island of Tanna, where we hope to climb the active volcano and then onto Port Vila to meet our friend Rick on the 10th - very exciting.
Comments
Vessel Name: Whippersnapper
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 46
Hailing Port: Sydney
Crew: Michael Connolly & Hugh Murray-Walker
About: Skipper Hugh and First Mate Mike
Extra: In port you may contact us on our respective email addresses, alternatively while at sea our sat-phone has an email address which is the name of our yacht followed by @mailasail.com
Whippersnapper's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.