Whiski Mak

24 March 2019
10 March 2019
04 March 2019
14 February 2019
05 February 2019
12 January 2019
16 March 2018
15 March 2018
14 February 2018
05 February 2018
31 January 2018
03 January 2018
20 April 2017
14 April 2017
05 April 2017
02 April 2017
25 March 2017

Waiting at Vero

19 January 2013 | Vero Beach
Thursday morning and we are heading to Vero Beach. It is not too windy yet and we motor along for a few hours. Once we get to the big piece of water at Sebastian we notice the wind is now effecting us quite a bit. We have slowed down a little and have a few small waves. There is a wind warning for small craft starting at 1 which is ok because that is our ETA. We call coming in and we are told to go on mooring 12, but as we come in we see a speedboat on it so we call and they say to go to 14. When we check in they say that the boat should not have been on 12 that it was probably just someone stopping for lunch or fishing. We have plenty of water under us and we are close to shore.

We get all settled and decide to take the bus into town. We get off at West Marine and Publix for a few things and then catch the bus back. This is a great spot to wait for the weather to change in our favor for crossing to the Bahamas. When it looks good (which it does't for a while) we will head to Lake Worth Inlet and head out. We will probably head that way a couple of days before an opening. Right now we are just relaxing and grateful to be where we are because there are some strong winds out of the north. When we arrived they were southwest then early evening really picked up, went northwest then northeast. It blew all night. The next day it died down some but picked up again and last night we had a few strong gusts and heavy rain. As I said this is a great place to sit this out.
We can take a bus into town, switch to another and go up to a large mall. There is Targets, Lowes, Wal-Mart, Publix, lots of stores at this intersection. The buses are free, driven by volunteers, and run every day except Sunday. We can walk to the Atlantic beach, about a 20 -30 minute walk.
Lots of boats are here but there is only one boat on most of the moorings. You can have up to 3 per mooring if it is busy.
Hopefully we will be able to leave early in the week. The forecast for now is northerly for about 5 days. We will be watching for an opening and will let you know when we head out.
Comments
Vessel Name: Whiski Mak
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 29.5
Hailing Port: Saint John, NB Canada
Crew: David and Janet Moore

Who: David and Janet Moore
Port: Saint John, NB Canada