Whiski Mak

24 March 2019
10 March 2019
04 March 2019
14 February 2019
05 February 2019
12 January 2019
16 March 2018
15 March 2018
14 February 2018
05 February 2018
31 January 2018
03 January 2018
20 April 2017
14 April 2017
05 April 2017
02 April 2017
25 March 2017

Working so far

06 February 2014 | Vero Beach
Well it has been an interesting trip. Since we left New Smyrna with what we thought was a fixed problem, we have been quite frustrated and stressed. We had just gotten a couple of hours from New Smyrna when the engine just stopped. We anchored and David got it going. We started to go back to New Smyrna then changed our minds and went to Titusville, it seemed to work okay and we got there in plenty of time. We picked up a mooring for the night and went in for a few groceries. After a nice night we woke to fog. It was about 10 before it cleared enough to head out. We dropped the mooring and started out but the rpm wouldn't pick up so we picked it back up. We asked a couple of guys on the boat beside us if they knew a good diesel mechanic. They said Tom at Westland so we headed in and asked around. We left a note on his boat and later on he called us and said he would look at it tomorrow. We could come in after lunch. So we paid for another night. Just before lunch Tom called and said to come in. We tied up in the same slip that Doug and Pat Brown were in. He came aboard and asked us to tell him everything that had happened. Then he tried one thing, said the exhaust wasn't getting out and he took of the exhaust elbow. We ordered another one from Cocoa Beach and he will pick it up tomorrow morning. So we spent the night on the dock. One nice thing was the yard manager said not to worry about checking in for the night.
The next day he came back with the part and after putting it on we tried it out and had our rpm back. We went in to the office, paid our bill and headed out to check the engine out. Wow we were going better than we have ever gone. We travelled for about 5 hours at 2600 (usually 2400) and we didn't heat up at all. Plus Tom called us twice through the day and asked us how we were making out. He also said once the engine cools off to tighten the nuts and bolts.
The next morning we got up and kept our fingers crossed. She started up and away we went again 25-2600 rpm and no overheating. Yeah Yeah Yeah we start relaxing. We arrive at Vero Beach and tie up beside Doug and Pat. Once we register we come back out and have a rum to christen our great trip from Titusville. We are very happy with the work Tom did and how he checked to see how we were doing. Let us hope all is fixed. Also just about everyone we talk to has been having motor troubles this year. May this be the only year we have expenses like this.
We will be here for at least a few more days.
Comments
Vessel Name: Whiski Mak
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 29.5
Hailing Port: Saint John, NB Canada
Crew: David and Janet Moore

Who: David and Janet Moore
Port: Saint John, NB Canada