Why Knot Now?

It all began as a dream.....became a plan.....then, a reality. Our dream was destroyed! .....We're starting over! .....Now follow us aboard S/V SeaQuell

07 November 2019
06 November 2019
06 November 2019
05 November 2019
04 November 2019
04 November 2019
17 May 2019
07 April 2018 | Bath, NC
04 November 2017
04 November 2017
09 October 2017 | Bath,NC
07 October 2017 | Belhaven,NC
06 October 2017 | Columbia,NC
05 October 2017 | Edenton,NC
05 October 2017 | Edenton,NC
05 October 2017 | Elizabeth City,NC
04 October 2017 | Mariner's Wharf, Elizabeth City,NC
04 October 2017 | Elizabeth City, NC

What a week!

20 April 2012 | St. Simons Island, GA
Becky Nordstrom
We thought we had the refrigeration issues solved---- NOT!  We noticed during the day on Tuesday that the freezer temperature was rising steadily. Keep in mind that I had spent 2 days last week preparing frozen meals for our next  trip.
I biked over to the ice machine and once again loaded up the bike with ice and pedaled back to  SeaQuell.  Iced down all our food and started making calls to locate a new freezer.

Robert located a freezer at Camping World in Savannah.  Off we go ( 75 miles away) to purchase it.  Upon arrival, we discover that the only unit they have in stock is a display model. Not happy, but what do you do????  $800 lighter, we head back to SeaQuell, stopping along the way at a truck stop to buy a heavy duty extension cord to use on the ride home ( hoping to cool this freezer down while on the way). We plug it in to the cigarette lighter adapter and guess what---- the damn thing doesn't hit a lick. NO power at all.  It's after 6pm and Camping World is closed. We head on home, hoping to find an easy "fix" for this piece of  sh------ we just bought.

We lug the monster down the dock and haul it on board. We thought maybe it just didn't work in the car--- hoping for some miracle!  Robert worked on the thing for about an hour and finally gave up.  Off we go to Lowe's to buy a conventional chest freezer----- we'll just plug the thing up to shore power. No freezer at Lowe's .. Off to Home Depot---- no freezer there either.  Finally found one at Target---- bought the smallest thing they had.

Lugged this monster down the dock---- placed it in the cockpit, plugged her in and voila' --- she works!  While waiting for this unit to cool enough to move our food, we decide to have a bite of dinner--- it's now 9:00 pm.

After dinner, we move the food from the iced down cooler to the new unit.

So now we have 3 freezers! 2 non-functional.

The next day, it's return time. Once again, Robert calls Camping World. They have another unit at their Jacksonville, Fl. Store and they will exchange for us. So, we load the piece of sh--- back in the car and Maggie and I head to Florida!
A couple of hours later, we're headin' home with a unit that actually works!!!

Back at the marina, we once again lug the new unit down the dock and on board the boat. It works like a charm. Now we move all the food again---- still gotta return the chest freezer to Target--- it's still sitting in the cockpit, because it's too big to fit through the doors!

Just as we start to pack the chest freezer back in the cardboard box, it starts to rain!!!! We are really starting to think there's a force working against us! Finally, we get the thing returned to Target and get home.  Another late dinner with LOTS of liquid refreshment !!!

So, you think we're done with this story???? nope, there's more.

With 2 freezers working well, food frozen, we start packing for our trip to Bath,NC this weekend.

The car is loaded with boxes/// gifts for a bridal shower and a birthday and off we go!!!! Headin' to see the family-- happy and excited.

We get about 160 miles north, stop in Walterboro, SC to fuel and realize that we left the kayak/bike trailer in the parking lot in St. Simons.  Back to the marina we head--- now we're 2 hours behind schedule----- what a pisser. It becomes somewhat  funny at this point!!

Fast forward 2 hours, we're back in Walterboro and it's past dinnertime. We decide to just grab a burger and keep driving. Pull into Hardee's and guess what---- they are closed for repairs.  There's that force again!!  So we head to the next restaurant, sit down, have a drink and dinner and head out again.

We are currently in Rocky Mount, NC. Robert is  visiting a customer here, and we are headed east to Bath this afternoon. Dropping off stuff in Washington along the way at our storage facility.  Sure hope today is a better day. The next time someone says " may the force be with you" I'm running in the opposite direction as fast as I can.

As they say, you can't keep good folks down and we refuse to let life's little dramas keep us down. We've had our moments to curse the force, somewhere in all of this, find the laughter, and we're hoping for a great weekend with family and friends.
Comments
Vessel Name: SeaQuell
Vessel Make/Model: Manta 40
Hailing Port: Bath, NC
Crew: Captain Robert, Admiral Becky & Maggie the Wonder Dog!
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/whyknotnow
Social:

Who are we?

Who: Captain Robert, Admiral Becky & Maggie the Wonder Dog!
Port: Bath, NC