Bookmark and Share
Why Knot Now?
It all began as a dream.....became a plan.....then, a reality. Our dream was destroyed! .....We're starting over! .....Now follow us aboard S/V SeaQuell
Good Friends Depart
04/30/2012, Georgetown, SC

Robert and Don have worked on the linear drive and seem to have corrected the problem.

Breakfast at the Kudzu Market-- coffee and muffins-- YUM!

Crappy cab to the airport to drop off Don and Judy-- It's amazing what cruisers pay for a cab ride!!

Sad to see our good friends depart, but they are headed back to NC to Nemo-- their boat at Carolina Wind Yachting Center.

Robert and I spent the afternoon on our bicycles-- errand running-- liquor store, grocery store and dry cleaners.

Alfresco Gergtown Bistro - (5 Stars)

Dinner at a great restaurant-- 5 stars!!!! and back to the boat to catch up on our correspondence.. Looks like another early night-- the wine is kicking in-- my eyelids are getting heavy.

Maggie is tucked soundly into her bed--- she's pooped from all the bike riding and excitement.

Looking forward to tomorrow-- many more adventures await for Becky and Maggie-- perhaps a little shopping/ laundry/ waterfront walks. Poor old Robert has to return to work .

More later!!!!

Daily Life
| | More
Fun in Georgetown
04/29/2012, Georgetown, SC

We've been having a great time in Georgetown with Don and Judy. We've explored the waterfront, taken long walks and checked out a few of the bars and restaurants.

Becky has piloted the dinghy to the waterfront a couple of times-- kinda bumpy start, but getting better each day.

Much needed showers were had by all at the Harborside Marina-- $5 a head-- well worth it!!!!

Dinner on board SeaQuell--Grilled London Broil, Salad, Hash Brown Casserole.

Off again to check out the local bars-- cold beer, lotsa laughs!!!!

Early to bed-- full day tomorrow.

Daily Life
| | More
Passage from St. Simons Island, GA to Georgetown, SC
Becky Nordstrom
04/26/2012, Out to Sea

Robert arrived from the airport around 9:00 pm tonight.Our friends Don and Judy have been aboard SeaQuell since Tuesday, helping me to get ready for our departure. We're sitting on go-- ready to cast off the dock lines and head out to sea.

As soon as Robert arrives, we set our course, and head out at 10:06 pm.

After a very lumpy ride out the inlet, we are once again in the Atlantic Ocean, destination Georgetown, SC.

Our overnight passage was uneventul-- calm seas and great wind-- averaging 7 knots.Slight problem with the auto pilot-- hand- steering most of the night.

Beautiful sunrise, coffee and danish to start the new day

Great sail on Friday-- winds around 15 knots, calm seas until dinnertime-- Problems with the autopilot continue, making for a lumpy ride. Both Judy and Becky are slightly seasick while trying to prepare dinner.

Robert and Don covered the night watch-- calm winds and seas, requiring assistance of the engines.

Arrived at Winyah Bay Inlet around 7 am. The dolphins are our welcoming committee-- What a beautiful sight!

Around noon, we anchor in the harbor at Georgetown. Head to the waterfront restaurants in search of lunch and Bloody Mary's. Lunch at Limpin' Jane's with very spicy Bloody's and good Margaritas. Life is good!!!

Daily Life
| | More
Getting ready for the next adventure
04/24/2012, St. Simons, Ga.

We got back to St. Simons around 9 pm Sunday. Had a fun-filled weekend with friends and family in Bath, NC.

After a short night's sleep, we're off and running again. Robert flew out to Canada yesterday and I spent the day trying to get ready for this weekend, when we head to Georgetown, SC.

Maggie was happy to be back on the boat and out of the boarder's .
She spent most of yesterday sleeping in her own bed.

I did some last minute grocery shopping and started strategically placing "stuff" in the "storage cabin"

Today, I'm very excited. I'm heading to Georgetown in a rental car to pick up our friends, Don and Judi. They are flying their plane to Georgetown , and coming with me back to the boat to make our trip to Georgetown with us.

We hope to depart St. Simons either very late night on Thursday, or early Friday am. Robert should return around 10 pm Thursday and we may leave shortly after, depending on weather and tide.

We will update our SPOT navigator and post a link soon, so you can follow along on the trip!!

Daily Life
| | More
What a week!
Becky Nordstrom
04/20/2012, St. Simons Island, GA

We thought we had the refrigeration issues solved---- NOT!  We noticed during the day on Tuesday that the freezer temperature was rising steadily. Keep in mind that I had spent 2 days last week preparing frozen meals for our next  trip.
I biked over to the ice machine and once again loaded up the bike with ice and pedaled back to  SeaQuell.  Iced down all our food and started making calls to locate a new freezer.

Robert located a freezer at Camping World in Savannah.  Off we go ( 75 miles away) to purchase it.  Upon arrival, we discover that the only unit they have in stock is a display model. Not happy, but what do you do????  $800 lighter, we head back to SeaQuell, stopping along the way at a truck stop to buy a heavy duty extension cord to use on the ride home ( hoping to cool this freezer down while on the way). We plug it in to the cigarette lighter adapter and guess what---- the damn thing doesn't hit a lick. NO power at all.  It's after 6pm and Camping World is closed. We head on home, hoping to find an easy "fix" for this piece of  sh------ we just bought.

We lug the monster down the dock and haul it on board. We thought maybe it just didn't work in the car--- hoping for some miracle!  Robert worked on the thing for about an hour and finally gave up.  Off we go to Lowe's to buy a conventional chest freezer----- we'll just plug the thing up to shore power. No freezer at Lowe's .. Off to Home Depot---- no freezer there either.  Finally found one at Target---- bought the smallest thing they had.

Lugged this monster down the dock---- placed it in the cockpit, plugged her in and voila' --- she works!  While waiting for this unit to cool enough to move our food, we decide to have a bite of dinner--- it's now 9:00 pm.

After dinner, we move the food from the iced down cooler to the new unit.

So now we have 3 freezers! 2 non-functional.

The next day, it's return time. Once again, Robert calls Camping World. They have another unit at their Jacksonville, Fl. Store and they will exchange for us. So, we load the piece of sh--- back in the car and Maggie and I head to Florida!
A couple of hours later, we're headin' home with a unit that actually works!!!

Back at the marina, we once again lug the new unit down the dock and on board the boat. It works like a charm. Now we move all the food again---- still gotta return the chest freezer to Target--- it's still sitting in the cockpit, because it's too big to fit through the doors!

Just as we start to pack the chest freezer back in the cardboard box, it starts to rain!!!! We are really starting to think there's a force working against us! Finally, we get the thing returned to Target and get home.  Another late dinner with LOTS of liquid refreshment !!!

So, you think we're done with this story???? nope, there's more.

With 2 freezers working well, food frozen, we start packing for our trip to Bath,NC this weekend.

The car is loaded with boxes/// gifts for a bridal shower and a birthday and off we go!!!! Headin' to see the family-- happy and excited.

We get about 160 miles north, stop in Walterboro, SC to fuel and realize that we left the kayak/bike trailer in the parking lot in St. Simons.  Back to the marina we head--- now we're 2 hours behind schedule----- what a pisser. It becomes somewhat  funny at this point!!

Fast forward 2 hours, we're back in Walterboro and it's past dinnertime. We decide to just grab a burger and keep driving. Pull into Hardee's and guess what---- they are closed for repairs.  There's that force again!!  So we head to the next restaurant, sit down, have a drink and dinner and head out again.

We are currently in Rocky Mount, NC. Robert is  visiting a customer here, and we are headed east to Bath this afternoon. Dropping off stuff in Washington along the way at our storage facility.  Sure hope today is a better day. The next time someone says " may the force be with you" I'm running in the opposite direction as fast as I can.

As they say, you can't keep good folks down and we refuse to let life's little dramas keep us down. We've had our moments to curse the force, somewhere in all of this, find the laughter, and we're hoping for a great weekend with family and friends.

Daily Life
| | More
Great Easter!!
04/14/2012, St. Simons Island, GA

The time here just gets better and better. The weather has been lovely. We had one pretty chilly day with a high in the 50's, but mainly it has been 70- 80 degrees and sunny.

The dolphins play several days a week right behind our boat. They seem to choose times when Robert is out of town for business . I think they like to keep me company.

Robert is still travelling way too much with his job, but Maggie and I find lots of cool things to do while he's away. Bike riding and taking long walks are our two favorites. Of course, we nap and people watch, too.

Easter vacation was an interesting week here. The marina was very busy with spring breakers going out on the fishing boats and lots of people at the shops and restaurants here.

Jennifer (our oldest daughter) and Gretchen (our 17 month old granddaughter) came for a visit. They arrived on Thursday and stayed until Monday. We had so much fun!!

We carried Gretchen to the beach.She loved playing in the sand and she actually put her feet in the ocean-- it was very chilly though.

We went for a bike ride around the island-- sightseeing, stopping along the way for liquid refreshment and good food. We played at the park and just had a ball outside every day.

Gretchen liked the pelicans-- she calls them "ducks". She and grandma colored many pictures, read lots of books and snuggled alot.

Jennifer and I had great fun trying to bathe Gretchen in the shower on the boat. It is large enough, but by the time you fit in two adults and an infant, it was an interesting venture to say the least.

Papa Robert stayed busy with the technical stuff-- he was the "TV" and Netflix guy-- Gretchen loves curious George! He also carried us out to dinner / lunch many times -- we all ate like little pigs!! Gretchen's favorite restaurant is Nachos-- one of our faves, too.

Papa and I were sad to see the girls leave on Monday, but papa had to travel last week. Back to Charlotte, NC for business and also mixed in some pleasure. He stayed with our friends Jim and Lisa Sherman instead of the hotel thing and had a great visit with them. He also got a haircut at Carmen's ( our friend and hairdresser from our Charlotte days) . He had lunch with Mark Smith--another of our friends there. Wish I could have gone with him, but plane tickets are too costly.

We are starting to do some prep for our trip back to NC the end of April. I have been cooking and freezing some individual meals. Robert is still fixing last minute items-- most recently, fixed the fridge and freezer-- it seems to be working ok, but still not optimally.

We are doing a trial run this week of living without shore power. So far we have been without shore power for 60 hours. Our solar panels and wind generator are performing very well. Our battery charge has remained stable, currently at 13 volts. We are very encouraged-- guess those high dollar batteries we installed are finally paying off!

There are still many loose ends to tie up prior to our departure, but we're hacking away at it , a little every day.
Saving time for fun and friends, though!!! You know what they say about all work and no play!

Daily Life
| | More

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Who are we?
Who: Captain Robert, Admiral Becky & Maggie the Wonder Dog!
Port: Bath, NC
View Complete Profile »
SailBlogs Friends
Bay Breezin 

Powered by SailBlogs