Why Knot Now?

It all began as a dream.....became a plan.....then, a reality. Our dream was destroyed! .....We're starting over! .....Now follow us aboard S/V SeaQuell

07 November 2019
06 November 2019
06 November 2019
05 November 2019
04 November 2019
04 November 2019
17 May 2019
07 April 2018 | Bath, NC
04 November 2017
04 November 2017
09 October 2017 | Bath,NC
07 October 2017 | Belhaven,NC
06 October 2017 | Columbia,NC
05 October 2017 | Edenton,NC
05 October 2017 | Edenton,NC
05 October 2017 | Elizabeth City,NC
04 October 2017 | Mariner's Wharf, Elizabeth City,NC
04 October 2017 | Elizabeth City, NC

Finally in Florida!!!!!!

10 December 2012 | Titusville Municipal Marina
Becky
We left St. Simons Island around 5 am on Friday, Dec.7th. Our original plan to leave Thursday evening was cancelled after talking with boaters who had just come in from offshore, reporting seas of 6 feet with steady winds 30 knots.

We decided to begin our trip in the ICW, and hop on the outside as the weather improved.

We motored all day Friday-- no wind. We made about 45 miles, despite foggy conditions. Anchored for the night  at a safe , quiet anchorage . Had trouble getting the CQR anchor to set, so we brought out the fortress, and it set immediately.

We weighed anchor around 6 am, and headed out again. It's still foggy, so we're gonna creep along in the ICW again today.

Very intense crawl down the ICW --- horrible visibility-- often 1/8 mile. Small fishing boats EVERYWHERE!!!!!!  We made it to somewhere around St. Augustine, and decided to try to find our anchorage for the night. No protected anchorage until  several hours down " the ditch".   We're exhausted from dealing with this intensity so, ,We found the best spot we could, just outside the channel , and dropped the hook. Robert set several alarms, anchor, depth etc.  Each "sounded" numerous times before we went to bed, but with some adjustments, things settled down. 

I had just gotten to bed when my son-in-law called to report that our daughter, Rebecca, is in labor with our 3rd grandchild. She's 5 cm. dilated, and good old mom can't get to sleep now, awaiting THE phone call. Robert however, is sleeping like the dead, and snoring to beat the band!!!  I finally get out of bed, and head up to the saloon area, to do a little reading and hopefully, get more sleep.

Not happening!!! The depth alarm went off around 2 am several times, so now I can wake Robert!!  Lo and behold, the skies are clear!!! We can see stars, and a lovely crescent moon, smilin' down on us.  We make the decision to pull that darn anchor and get underway.By 3 am, we're once again slowly headin' down the ICW. Boat traffic is very light in the wee morning hours. Using our electronics and visual aid of a flashlight, we navigate safely until daylight. We are so thankful that Sunday is clear and warm. We quickly start sheddin' layers of clothing. Phone call from our daughter-- she was discharged from the hospital early this morning. She never progressed beyond 5 cm. dilatation. She's disappointed, but nurse Becky reassures her that she'll be back in labor and delivery soon, very soon.

We arrive in Titusville, FL around 5 pm. Hallelujah!!!!  Time for cocktails to celebrate another safe trip!!!! Maggie goes for a much needed potty break, and we're all happy now.

After cocktails, we're off to a local taco stand. This is not your usual taco stand!! They smoke their own meat, make their own burgers, shakes, etc. We both order a burger-- on a homemade pretzel bun---- yummy!!!!  The burgers here were shown on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, and came highly recommended. Man, were they good. I rarely am able to eat an entire burger by myself, but I wolfed this one down. Maggie had only a very small taste. Back to SeaQuell for some rest and some therapy for Robert's red, swollen right leg. After several warm compresses, things look improved.

Early to bed for both of us. So glad not to need to set the alarm for the a--- crack of dawn. Visions of  sleeping till 8 am are dancing in our heads.

At 5:45 am today, my phone rings.  Just as I predicted, Rebecca is in labor--she's 7 cm- don't think she'll be coming home without a baby this time!!  Now I'm too excited to go back to sleep, but I'm sure gonna try to catch a few  more winks.

At 7:30, we're both up and headed for a much needed shower. Robert has a busy work day ahead, and Becky has a full "to do" list. Maggie needs a long walk, as does Becky.

Around 9 am, we receive word that our grandson, Dylan Lee Walston , has arrived. Mom and baby are doing well, and we are very thankful.

Busy, busy day. Laundry done, Bags packed for Robert's business trip tomorrow, and things are put away ( as best we can do for now) . Maggie and I had a nice, long walk, and Robert was  able to get a same day appointment for a much needed haircut. Dry cleaning dropped off-- gotta stay at the ever ready for last minute, impromptu business trips!!  

It's 4:30 pm, and I am sipping a glass of wine, Maggie resting at my feet, and Robert workin' like crazy.  His cellulitis in his leg is resolving nicely. However, not completely resolved. Hopefully, several more days of antibiotics will do the trick.

We're looking forward to completing our southbound trip this weekend. Stuart, FL. is our destination for the winter. Hopefully, when we get there, we can stow all our thermal underwear, coats and hats away.  This is our first winter in FL.  and we are super excited. We hope to be sitting in the hot tub at the marina real soon, relaxing with a cold one.

Stay tuned !!!
Comments
Vessel Name: SeaQuell
Vessel Make/Model: Manta 40
Hailing Port: Bath, NC
Crew: Captain Robert, Admiral Becky & Maggie the Wonder Dog!
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/whyknotnow
Social:

Who are we?

Who: Captain Robert, Admiral Becky & Maggie the Wonder Dog!
Port: Bath, NC