Why Knot Now?

It all began as a dream.....became a plan.....then, a reality. Our dream was destroyed! .....We're starting over! .....Now follow us aboard S/V SeaQuell

07 November 2019
06 November 2019
06 November 2019
05 November 2019
04 November 2019
04 November 2019
17 May 2019
07 April 2018 | Bath, NC
04 November 2017
04 November 2017
09 October 2017 | Bath,NC
07 October 2017 | Belhaven,NC
06 October 2017 | Columbia,NC
05 October 2017 | Edenton,NC
05 October 2017 | Edenton,NC
05 October 2017 | Elizabeth City,NC
04 October 2017 | Mariner's Wharf, Elizabeth City,NC
04 October 2017 | Elizabeth City, NC

Costa Rican Adventures

10 June 2013 | San Jose, Costa Rica
Becky
Sunrise in UrbannaWe had a great flight to Costa Rica. Enjoyed our first class seats. Since neither if us would be driving when we arrived, we enjoyed numerous cocktails. I had a nice nap!!

Going through customs was a breeze. Next stop, money exchange. We got our colonies and headed to find our driver/guide for the week, Manuel.

A first for both Robert and I. Manuel is standing among the other drivers holding a sign with "Robert Nordstrom" on it!! We made it!!!!!!

The airport in San Jose was about 30 minutes from Escuza, our destination.
We arrive at a very nice gated condominium community called Portofino. Man, I'm liking this!!!

The condo is lovely. Beautiful mountain views. http://www.sailblogs.com/sbgallery/pics/rnordstrom_gmail_com/sbdq9iakc/w/sb0mqep9.jpg It is also big enough for our entire family!!! 3 bedrooms/3 full baths/ huge kitchen/ formal dining room/ living room/ breakfast nook/ sitting area overlooking the view. It even has a maids quarters!!! The laundry room is bigger than our entire living quarters on SeaQuell.

We met Dean, chief strategist for Robert's company, Decisiv. He welcomed us with open arms, a handshake for Robert and a kiss on the cheek for Becky.

We took a little time to settle in , and Manuel returned to carry us shopping for a few necessities--- coffee, wine, beer, vodka, rum, tonic, limes-- oh, and some food!!!!

Dinner is at a local restaurant, Cebolla Verde ( green onion). We sampled soooo much food--- rice and beans ( gallo pinto) , fried plantains with cheese, chicken fajitas, nachos, shrimp, fried cheese, and chifrijo ( another rice and bean dish with little chunks of fried pork). We also had fried yucca (kinda like a potato). Lots of cold Costa Rican beer to wash it down. We were so full we could hardly walk to Manuel's car.

Back to the condo for after dinner cocktails and enjoying the view of the city---- so many twinkling lights!!!!!



Monday morning brings the smell of our Costa Rican coffee brewing !!! Absolutely delicious coffee. Thanks to Manuel for the suggestion!!
Robert sets up his work station at the dining room table (he opted for this rather than the office area so he can enjoy the view while he works). Becky settles in with a book.

Lunch is Carribean take-out, compliments of Dean. chicken, pork, shrimp, more plantains, more rice and beans, but with a little more spice!!!! Yum!!

Monday afternoon we start exploring. With Manuel as our driver/guide, we head to Cartago , the original Capitol of Costa Rica. The city is full of history. It rains like crazy, but that's not gonna stop us!! We saw the most beautiful church---- Bascilica de Los Angeles. We were both in awe!!! We partook of the holy water, and whispered prayers for loved ones.





After the church tour, we head out to the country to see a coffee plantation. Well, after a slight delay to clean Manuel's battery cables when his car didn't start. Don't forget, it's the rainy season!!!! Somewhat soggy, but excited, we're back on the road again!

Beautiful drive up mountain roads. Everything is so GREEN!!!! The coffee plantations are very green, but it is not season for "berries". We saw some lovely countryside, and stopped for coffee and tortillas (a typical afternoon treat).



Rush hour traffic in the rain back to the condo for cocktails, then out to dinner again at another local spot, La Casona de Laly. Robert had ceviche, and Manuel and I had the biggest bowl of soup ever!!!!! It was a beef broth with chunks of ? Beef?. Loaded with yucca, corn on the cob, plantains, onion, carrots --- everything but the kitchen sink!!! Quite yummy!!



Back to the condo . Nightcap for Becky/night- night for Becky. Robert stays up late doing a little work, and tastes of the rum we bought.

Tuesday morning---- more yummy coffee---- LOVE that aroma!!! Another first---- breakfast is warmed over cheese tortillas with leftover rice and beans!!!!!

Manuel picks us up around 10:00 am. Today, we are heading up to Poas Volcano. It is in a national park. The ride is lovely. Lush green valleys and majestic mountains. Easy hike to the volcano---- UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!! We were able to see the entire crater, rim, smoke-- yes it's an active volcano!!!!! Another first for us both!!!



Uphill hike to the lake--- an inactive crater---- again--- WOW!!!!! Mother Nature has provided yet another beautiful sight. We soaked up as much beauty as time allowed, then it's back in Manuel's car (a different one today-- his SUV) for a very bumpy ride to La Paz Waterfall Gardens & Peace Lodge--- for lunch and a rainforest tour.



Rainy season continues--- good thing we came prepared!!! We had a buffet lunch at the lodge prior to our tour. Again, more food than you can imagine. -pizza, pasta, salad, roasted pork, fried plantains, and of course, Rice and Beans!!!!!!

The rainforest tour was spectacular. Beautiful gardens, numerous plants. Hummingbirds, butterflies, snakes, toucans, macaws, ---- lions, and tigers and bears , oh my!!!! Really, no lions or bears, but we did see pumas and jaguars.





Several spectacular waterfalls!!!!!!! Again, what a majestic view!!! Words or pictures can't begin to capture the beauty.



Had to hoof it to catch the last shuttle back to the lodge, but we made it. We're drenched, but thrilled with our day of exploration.

Ut-oh. Manuel's vehicle will not start. We tried the typical Costa Rican " push it off" to start it. Nope!!! Not happening!! Break out the tools!! Manuel and Robert (with numerous onlookers/concerned lodge employees) try every fuse, every relay, connection etc!! We assume that our bumpy ride shook something loose. Nope!!! Manuel leaves us with the vehicle and goes to get some gas. He questions if his fuel gauge is inaccurate.

30 minutes later, he returns with gas. Into the tank it goes!! Again, NO GO!!!

A very apologetic Manuel makes arrangements for us to hitch a ride with a lodge employee who lives relatively close to San Jose. He interprets for us, we pay the guy 35,000 colonies($70), and once again, we're off!!!! We leave poor Manuel stranded, hoping he can get his vehicle on the road soon.

We're in a van that probably seats 12 passengers. The windows are fogged like hell--- don't forget --- we're in the rainforest!!!! It's raining, it's getting dark, and we're zooming down a mountain road with a guy named Michael. He assures us that he speaks a little English, and that we will be home in a couple of hours. We stop along the way to,pick up Michael's lovely wife and his cute little son. We enjoy what bits and pieces of their family conversation we understand, and settle in for an exciting ride home. Oh, I forget to mention, Michael is not "exactly" sure where Portofino (our condo) is.

He drives expertly through the rain and rush hour traffic-- we witness several minor accidents. The locals drive like SH ------!!!!!!

Finally, with Robert's back seat help with directions, we arrive at the gate of our condo!!! Oh, SH---. The guard is never gonna recognize this van.!!
We roll out of the van at the gate, and thank God!! The guard recognizes our faces and opens the gate.

Forget dinner!!! No rice and beans tonight!!! It's liquid refreshment for the rest of the evening. Nothing like some straight Costa Rican Rum to calm our slightly frazzled nerves!!! After several night caps, and some relaxation enjoying the beautiful starlit sky, we turn in. There is always a breeze here, so we open the bedroom windows--- cool night breeze billowing past the curtains. Nighty- nite!!!!

Wednesday is Robert's first day to train a new employee-- Ruben. They set up a work station at the condo--- again at the dining room table, and get to work at 8:00 am.

Becky is the cook for the day---- breakfast is coffee and fruit. Lunch is homemade spagetti and salad. It's quite a treat to cook in this wonderfully equipped kitchen. I'm not accustomed to all this luxury!!!

The guys work hard all day. They accomplished a lot. Ruben heads home, and we eat leftovers for dinner. Cocktails in the sitting area overlooking the city-- one could easily become accustomed to this! Early bedtime for Becky. Robert stays up late returning e- mails and preparing for another day of training tomorrow.

Thursday is a repeat of Wednesday. Lunch menu is different. Becky cooks balsamic glazed chicken, with roasted vegetables. The guys work until around 7:00 pm. Manuel comes to pick us all up---- he ended up spending the night in his vehicle waiting for a tow truck. His SUV is in the shop, so we all pile into the Toyota Corolla, and it's off for a night on the town.

Yakky's ( pronounced Jackie's) Bar is our destination for tonight. Ruben's fiancé, Anna joins us for dinner. It's two for one night at the bar!!!!!!! Woo-Hoooo!!!!! We partake of a local grain alcohol mixed with ginger ale for starters. Manuel says it' s a party for 12 for $6!!!! After margaritas, daiquiris and beer for the boys, we order dinner. Tonight it's typical bar food--- chicken wings, fried plantains-- of course!!!!, and fried yucca with a spicy dip. Much fun and laughter was had by all !!!! What a great time!!!

Back to the condo --- good thing Manuel is driving!!! Robert and I enjoy our last evening in the sitting area looking over this beautiful city.

Slept great--- again with the windows open with a nice cool breeze. Awakened around 3:00 am--- something is flying around our bedroom!!!! We think it must be a bat, but before we can flip on the lights it flys back out the open window !!!

Friday morning dawns clear and bright. Gorgeous sunrise!!!! Breakfast is the last of our Costa Rican coffee, and breakfast cocktails of the remaining vodka and limes. A little Malbec is left, so we finish that off too!!!!

Manuel picks us up around 11 am to head to the airport. We're excited to be headed home, but hate to leave this beautiful place. We have packed in loads of fun into a very short time (typical for us). Saying goodbye to Manuel is like leaving a family member behind---- we couldn't have asked for a better guide, who now is a friend.

We're heading home ---- enjoying another first class upgrade!!!!! We should arrive in Richmond, Va around midnight. About an hour drive back to SeaQuell--- waiting for us in Urbanna!!! Gotta get home to get ready for tomorrow----- Robert's brother and his wife are coming to stay with us for a week!!!

Our crazy, fun-filled, 'never a dull moment" life cruises on!!! Stay tuned for more Nordstrom adventures as they unfold!!!!
Comments
Vessel Name: SeaQuell
Vessel Make/Model: Manta 40
Hailing Port: Bath, NC
Crew: Captain Robert, Admiral Becky & Maggie the Wonder Dog!
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/whyknotnow
Social:

Who are we?

Who: Captain Robert, Admiral Becky & Maggie the Wonder Dog!
Port: Bath, NC