Why Knot Now?

It all began as a dream.....became a plan.....then, a reality. Our dream was destroyed! .....We're starting over! .....Now follow us aboard S/V SeaQuell

07 November 2019
06 November 2019
06 November 2019
05 November 2019
04 November 2019
04 November 2019
17 May 2019
07 April 2018 | Bath, NC
04 November 2017
04 November 2017
09 October 2017 | Bath,NC
07 October 2017 | Belhaven,NC
06 October 2017 | Columbia,NC
05 October 2017 | Edenton,NC
05 October 2017 | Edenton,NC
05 October 2017 | Elizabeth City,NC
04 October 2017 | Mariner's Wharf, Elizabeth City,NC
04 October 2017 | Elizabeth City, NC

Heading South

22 October 2013 | Points between Urbanna, VA and Bath, NC
Becky
We left Urbanna Sunday Oct 13@ 0600-- Yuckyweather. Winds a steady 20-25, gusts 30 in the Chesapeake bay. Waves 5-7 ft.
Arrived Hampton late afternoon, docked at the Hampton downtown Marina.
Our friend, Joe Friday, arrives around 10 pm He's making the trip to Bath, NC with us, celebrating his 78th birthday!!!!! Seems he had a slight delay at the airport in Charlotte- something to do with a fifth if some sort of brown liquid he tried to sneak thru TSA!!!!!! Seriously, he had planned to check his bag, but decided against it at the last minute. His daughter carried the "turkey" back home with her. We stayed awake until 1 am catching up / laughing and sharing stories.

We slept in on Monday till about 8 am. After a nice hot shower and a
big breakfast, we depart Hampton 9:30 am.


We enjoyed a nice sail to the Gilmerton Bridge near Norfolk- we averaged around 6 knots. After going thru the bridge, we motored to lock at Deep Creek. When we arrived, (around 1pm), there were several boats at anchor . some of them had been waiting since 10 am- the delay is due to a huge duckweed problem. The guy who runs the locks was attempting to flush out some of this green yucky stuff. we joined the rest if the boats, threw out the anchor---had lunch--- cold cuts, cheese, veggies. We waited only 30 minutes- hauled the anchor and it's in the lock we go!! Only one boat in the lock had a issue with clogged strainers from the duckweed. We exited the lock first, and headed to the Great Dismal Swamp.


We arrived at the Great Dismal Swamp Visitor Center after dark--- already 5 boats there--- we rafted up with a monohull. Wonderful dinner of shrimp and pasta/ salad and bread. Wine to wash it down , of course.


On Tuesday, we departed the visitor center 7 am. We arrive at South Mills Lock at 8 am, and wait for the 8:30 opening. The weather is cool and drizzly. We motored to Elizabeth City--- arrived noonish. We enjoyed a delicious lunch. at Cypress Grill. After lunch, Joe naps; Robert works; and I walkaround town . I found a wonderful little bakery, and purchased a loaf of sourdough bread. It will go perfectly with the pot of homemade veggie soup I'm making for dinner.


We enjoyed visiting with our friend, Monica. She now lives in Elizabeth City!!
It's always so nice to reconnect with friends that we haven't seen in a while!!


On Wednesday, we depart at 6 am from EC---we motored to Edenton. Lovely trip !! Arrived mid afternoon. docked at the city docks, where we visited with a couple we had met in Urbanna this summer, and also made some new friends!! The sun has finally decided to shine---- hallelujah!!


We had a dinner of grilled chicken, potatoes, and tossed salad.after dinner, we all enjoyed much needed showers, and spent the evening reading/watching TV/ basically just chill in'.

Thursday, Joe and I spent the day exploring Edenton. Robert has some work to catch up on. I did a little shopping, and the 3 of us had lunch at 309 Bistro.
That afternoon, we borrow the marina "loaner car" -- a pick up truck with city logo and flashy light!!!! We drove around town, by the grocery store, and by the local John Deere store. Joe wanted to visit the store , mainly to purchase a print; but also to reconnect with the employees there. (Joe had previously sold trucks to them). We chatted a bit at the store, and hit the road again.


We had dinner at Waterman's . Dinner was fantastic!!! We returned the vehicle at the marina office, and enjoyed another quiet evening on the boat.
We had an early departure on Friday, around 6 am. we motored until sunrise. it's a beautiful day!!! clear skies, cool temps,
By 8 am, we have some wind---- light, (around 10 knots, ) so we cut the engines , and raise both sails . By 11 am, the wind dies, so we drop the main, and motor sail with the jib.


We made it to Tuckahoe point for anchoring tonight. Our Big fortress hooked immediately . Cocktails and leftovers for dinner--- it's clean out the fridge night.


Underway at 7 am on Saturday. It's raining---- AGAIN!!!! Slightly foggy. We motored down the Alligator Pungo Canal. We made a stop at Dowry Creek Marina for fuel. We saw friends we met in Stuart, FL. Quick chat while fueling, and we're underway again.bathroom break for Maggie!!


We motored to Bath. Arrived in Bath Creek around 4 pm. This will be home for the next week or two. Greeted by our friend, David Johnson, to catch our lines. We are docking at his dock!! Thanks David and Caroline!!!!


We enjoyed a delicious steak dinner with my sister, Connie and brother-in-law, Rick..We visited with some of our old friends in Bath, and Joe made lots of NEW friends!!!!!

On Sunday, we slept in-----hooray!!!! We all needed to sleep off last nights' booze!!!!

We enjoyed a quick visit with some friends from Little Washington, Sally and Jerry. They sailed to Bath for lunch, so we met them at the restaurant. Didn't have much time, but it was great to see them, get some quick hugs, and chat a little.


By mid-afternoon, Joe's daughters, Lou and Sandy, have arrived to "collect" their dad. we all enjoyed cocktails, and hors de oeuvres while watching the sunset from the cockpit of SeaQuell. Our friends, Clay and Debra have joined us, as well as Connie and Rick. We had a cockpit full, and we had a blast!!!

We all went to Clay and Debra's for dinner. Fantastic meal!!! Pork tenderloin, potatoes, collards, and cornbread. YUM!!!!!! Of course, lots of liquid refreshment!!

Lou and Sandy spent the night at Connie and Rick's home. Joe, Robert and I stumbled back to SeaQuell and "crashed".

Wow!!!! What a trip!!!!! Monday, it's back to work for Robert. Joe and his daughters leave around 9am. Sad to see them go, but boy did we have fun!!!!!

I spent the day doing my usual---- cooking, cleaning, etc. Robert and I enjoyed lunch withTeeny, on his dock next door to us--- he steamed crabs for us. Again, YUM!!!!!! So much for my "diet".

We invited a friend , Curt, from New Bern to have dinner with us aboard SeaQuell. Curt is sailing south as well. We enjoyed my "famous" homemade spagetti !! HA! , salad and garlic bread. Dessert , provided by Curt, is port wine and chocolates! We had a fantastic visit--- catching up on old times, and planning for what's ahead.

Bedtime came early--- all this partying makes one tired!!!! Seriously, we wouldn't change a thing about our wonderful life--- so full of adventure!!!! Sharing it with special people enhances the beauty of it.

We have a TO DO list about a mile long---- strainers to check, finding a leak, installing our new chart plotter, gathering a few things from storage, Dr visits, provisioning, etc. looks like we're gonna be busy!!

We plan to remain in Bath until Halloween--- pick up our crew , and head out on Nov 1st. We're excited to be heading south again. Looking forward to more good times and hopefully, warm weather!!!

We will have our SPOT on while underway, so follow along with us!!!!!
Maggie says hi to everyone!!!!
Comments
Vessel Name: SeaQuell
Vessel Make/Model: Manta 40
Hailing Port: Bath, NC
Crew: Captain Robert, Admiral Becky & Maggie the Wonder Dog!
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/whyknotnow
Social:

Who are we?

Who: Captain Robert, Admiral Becky & Maggie the Wonder Dog!
Port: Bath, NC