Why Knot Now?

It all began as a dream.....became a plan.....then, a reality. Our dream was destroyed! .....We're starting over! .....Now follow us aboard S/V SeaQuell

07 November 2019
06 November 2019
06 November 2019
05 November 2019
04 November 2019
04 November 2019
17 May 2019
07 April 2018 | Bath, NC
04 November 2017
04 November 2017
09 October 2017 | Bath,NC
07 October 2017 | Belhaven,NC
06 October 2017 | Columbia,NC
05 October 2017 | Edenton,NC
05 October 2017 | Edenton,NC
05 October 2017 | Elizabeth City,NC
04 October 2017 | Mariner's Wharf, Elizabeth City,NC
04 October 2017 | Elizabeth City, NC

More southbound fun

11 November 2013
Becky
We are having a great time in Bath.

Great food, great family and friends. We're enjoying them in between all our projects.

We finished a few projects. Robert installed the fancy new chart plotter. Well, he "rigged" the chart plotter to work. The cable provided from the company is too short. Unable to locate an extension cable, so we ran the cable across the stern of SeaQuell as a temporary fix. One more project "sorta" done.Will finish when we get to our final destination for the winter; Stuart, FL.

The new radar dome was also installed by Robert , and we found the source of our slow leak-the water heater. Since it seems to be minor, we'll add fixing it to the Florida "to do" list.

We made a stop by our storage unit in Little Washington. We threw away some old stuff, and brought a few more things back to SeaQuell. It seems my favorite cast iron pan got lost in the shuffle-- darn it!!

Maggie, Robert and myself all had our "yearly maintenance" check-ups.

We visited with our friends, Joan and Jeff Boenig for a while on Saturday. Good catching up .
Another great meal on Saturday night. Rick cooked ribs, and all the trimmings. We all sat outside around the fire pit--consumed way too much food and drink, but it was FUN!!!!!

On Sunday, we had another short visit with Joan and Jeff. Worked on a few minor projects, and had dinner at Blackbeard's with our friends, Bill and Wilma Alexander. They were out "dock neighbors" when we lived aboard our old boat, At Last, in Little Washington. It is always so nice to reconnect!!!

Monday and Tuesday are kinda mundane--- usual chores of laundry, cooking, bathing/brushing Maggie. Oh, and a lot of seagull "shooing" it's like a Hitchcock movie!!! Invasion of the birds!!!!

Our friend, Jane Capps and I did some shopping . New rugs for SeaQuell. Thanks Jane!!!

On Wednesday, Oct. 30, our friends/crew, Carl and Melissa arrive.They are making the trip to Stuart with us. They load their things on SeaQuell ---personal belongings, plus, MORE FOOD !!!!!! We plan to eat well on our passage south!! Quick tour of Bath on the golf cart--- ice cream stop at The Quarterdeck. Along the way, our Bath friends all wave , smile and offer friendly hellos as we pass thru the streets.

Dinner was provided by Rick and Connie once again--- my sister and her hubby always keep us well-fed on our stay in Bath. Delicious dinner--- shrimp cocktail, crab Middleton, bacon-wrapped scallops, wild rice, slaw, rolls---WOW!!!!! We enjoyed fantastic food, and wonderful fellowship-!!! Carl and Melissa can't believe the hospitality--- and they ain't seen nothin' yet!!!!

Thursday, October 31st----- Halloween !!!!!!! Can't wait for Carl and Melissa to see the fun!! We bought some pirate masks and hats from Ms. Aletha's gift shop--- our costumes for tonight's festivities!!

Jane and Teeny provided afternoon cocktails for us all. Plus, they offered their showers to us--- a boater knows never to turn down showering opportunities --- Carl and Melissa partake of the showers, but Robert is still working, and I still have a few last minute errands to run. Maybe there will be time later for us to shower.

Halloween night was a blast!!! We estimated around 300 little trick or treaters!!! We sat on the porch at Connie and Rick's and handed out candy--- Teeny and Jane continued their Halloween tradition by providing a huge pot of chili to all the trick or treaters-- and their parents!!!! That's a LOT of chili!!

Robert and I headed over to our friends, Clay and Deb's house for a quick visit.
We never did get around to showers-- what the hell!! Having fun on our last night in Bath is much more important!

We departed Bath at 0600 on Nov 1. Motor sailed down the Pamlico River, thru the ICW towards the Neuse River.
The Neuse is a bitch--- winds steady 25. Choppy as hell. Carl made a yummy oatmeal breakfast. We enjoy the ride down the Adams Creek Canal.

We anchor in Back Creek, early afternoon. Cocktails to celebrate our arrival.

Dinner is grilled steaks-- perfectly prepared by Robert, baked potatoes and salad. We all turn in early--- the alarm is set for 5:30 am!!

We're underway at 6:15 am -it's drizzling rain, and visibility is not great. The wind on the nose--- looks like we'll motor today. - Carl has been appointed as the official breakfast chef-- he prepares bacon, eggs, and grits. YUM!!!!!

We motor sailed to Surf City-- quite a haul!! We tie up at beach house marina-Maggie gets to walk on firm ground-- she's a happy girl.

We enjoyed dinner at Sear's Landing. We are joined by our old neighbors from Charlotte--- Terry and Debbie Wilson, and Bob and Jane Hill. Delicious seafood dinner , yummy cocktails and fantastic fun!!! We return to SeaQuell for after dinner drinks and more conversation. Sad for this night to end. We had a ball-- just like old times in the neighborhood!! Carl, Melissa, Robert , and I finally hit the marina showers around midnite---- we REALLY want a shower badly!!

We have another early departure--around 6:00, but thanks to the time change, it's almost daylight. We enjoyed the beautiful sunrise, and another yummy breakfast-- chef Carl is at it again---

We motor sail with the jib most of the morning. The wind clicks around behind us at around 10 knots by 1pm. Finally!!!! We cut both engines, hoisted the mainsail, and we're sailing!!!! Hooray!! We had a great run to Southport, NC
Average speed 8-9 knots!!

We arrive at our anchorage mid afternoon. It's low tide-- what happened to all the water??? We ran aground several times trying to cross a shoal to get into the anchorage, but finally found the "sweet spot", and set the anchor around 4:00 pm.

Cocktails in the cockpit, watching a beautiful sunset.

Dinner is lasagna (prepared by Melissa) , salad and bread. Wine to wash it down!!! We eat and drink ALOT--- have you noticed??

Monday, nov 4--- we're underway at 6:15 am. Yummy oatmeal breakfast.
Carl is at the helm. Robert has to work-- it's Monday, or meeting day as it's known in the Nordstrom house.
We Motor sailed until 3 pm--- the wind completely died , so we drop the sail /motored to Osprey Marina---our home for the night. We fueled up SeaQuell, pumped both heads, and topped off the water tank. We all enjoyed a long, hot shower.

Dinner is at Scatori's. Great italian restaurant-- they pick up from marina!! pretty cool, huh??Wonderful dinner--- Italian nachos, shrimp Fra D'iavlo, angel carbonara, fresh baked bread:::: a very good chianti!!! We are all stuffed!!! We ride back to marina with a different driver, and roll ourselves into bed!!

Tuesday morning comes early--- we head out at 6:05 am . We are fighting a pretty significant head current-- only making 4 knots. Another yummy Carl- inspired breakfast-- French toast and bacon, with real maple syrup!!!

The head current finally loosens its' grip late morning, and we are cruising along at 7-8 knots.

We saw numerous bald eagles, snowy egrets, and dolphins. Very enjoyable ride!!

We anchored in Price's creek--- not the most protected anchorage-- strong winds.

Dinner is mexican casserole ( prepared by Becky) , served with corn, pinto beans, and guacomole!! More yumminess!! Early to bed--- this 5:30 alarm thing gets old!!

We are underway on Wednesday at 6:05 am. It's cloudy, drizzly once again. Carl prepares another yummy breakfast--- egg "mcmuffins"

We arrive at Ben Sawyer bridge at 0855- just on time for 0900 opening. We are the 14th boat in line!!!!!

While waiting for the bridge to open, the starboard engine begins to malfunction. No propulsion--- looks like the clutch!! Oh, well. Nothing we can do about it now. We make it through the bridge at 9:20 am, limping along in one engine.

We motor sail along. Port engine just a puttering away!!

Finally, after a lunch of leftovers, the sun comes out , and the temperature rises to the 70's. we all don our shirts and shirt sleeve shirts!!!!!! Melissa and I enjoy resting on the trampoline with drinks in hand. We make excellent time until around 3:00 pm.

Damned tides and current!!! Feels like we're backing up. Sometimes a slow as 2.9 knots!!! "Are we there yet" takes on new meaning!! Quick salad for dinner, as we need everyone's eyes to keep a look out. Even with all these fancy electronics, navigating the ICW at night is NO fun!!!

We Finally arrived at Lady's Isle Marina at 10:30 pm. Long, long day!!

Thursday is showers and laundry day!! This marina has FREE laundry!!!
Melissa and I walked to Publix-- restocked a few items, well more than a few!
$120 later, we catch a ride back to the marina with the Gloria, the dockmaster's wife .

There's a get together on the "porch" at the marina. Great snacks/great conversation with fellow boaters/ and of course, cocktails!!

Friday, we sleep in a little--- it's gotten very cool overnight and this warm bed is hard to leave.

Carl goes for a bike ride in to town and comes back with an entire box of assorted chocolates from The Chocolate Tree. Becky makes homemade veggie soup for lunch. it hits the spot on this cool day. In the afternoon, melissa, Carl, and I read, blog, and nap. Robert works till 5 and we head for the filling station--- it's $10 steak night. You must arrive early to get your order in-- full bar, lively crowd. Good steaks-- huge serving. We visited with an old friend from Little Washington, Alex. he's living here now!! it's funny how we keep running into old friends!

Walked back to SeaQuell with T-bones for Maggie!! She loves to chew on our leftover bones!! We all partake of the chocolates Carl bought, and sip on Rock-n-Rye . Another banner day!!!

On Saturday-- Robert gets a rental car he has to fly out tomorrow for a quick business trip.. Becky walks to Walgreens in search of doggy potty bags, and a few odds and ends. Saturday around noon we all ride into downtown beaufort to shop. Well, girls shop; guys go to Nippy's and drink beer. Melissa and I join the guys-- fish tacos, beer, burgers, and fries!! Local band pickin' and sing in'
Fun, Fun, Fun!!!!

Dinner is homemade spagetti and bread. Robert is on call till midnite. Early bedtime for te rest of us.

Sunday--- light breakfast granola bars, coffee. The No see ums are terrible.

After lunch of wings, SeaQuell gets a much needed bath.

Robert heads for the airport around 2:00 pm. Carl, Melissa and I spend the afternoon reading, napping, and watching a little TV.

We have had a great trip so far--- planning to remain in Beaufort, SC until Tuesday, when Robert returns.

We plan to head out on Wednesday, weather permitting, and head to Savannah. Hoping to get the engine repairs done there.

I promise myself to do a better job with blogging--- maybe my next blog won't turn into a novel!!!!!
Comments
Vessel Name: SeaQuell
Vessel Make/Model: Manta 40
Hailing Port: Bath, NC
Crew: Captain Robert, Admiral Becky & Maggie the Wonder Dog!
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/whyknotnow
Social:

Who are we?

Who: Captain Robert, Admiral Becky & Maggie the Wonder Dog!
Port: Bath, NC