Why Knot Now?

It all began as a dream.....became a plan.....then, a reality. Our dream was destroyed! .....We're starting over! .....Now follow us aboard S/V SeaQuell

07 November 2019
06 November 2019
06 November 2019
05 November 2019
04 November 2019
04 November 2019
17 May 2019
07 April 2018 | Bath, NC
04 November 2017
04 November 2017
09 October 2017 | Bath,NC
07 October 2017 | Belhaven,NC
06 October 2017 | Columbia,NC
05 October 2017 | Edenton,NC
05 October 2017 | Edenton,NC
05 October 2017 | Elizabeth City,NC
04 October 2017 | Mariner's Wharf, Elizabeth City,NC
04 October 2017 | Elizabeth City, NC

In Typical Nordstrom Style

02 May 2016 | Atlantic Ocean
Becky
Day 4 and 5-- Saturday , April 30, 2016-- SUNDAY May 1,2016

This morning is wonderful. The seas are about 2-3 feet, but still rolly.

The wind is out of the southwest at about 12 knots. We are flying!!!! We turn off the engine, and under a reefed main, and the jib, we're making 8-9 knots. Top speed- 9.8 knots. We enjoy this until early afternoon.

Then in typical Nordstrom fashion, things get interesting. The winds shift to the east-- seas continue to build-- now 3-5 ft. The winds also pick up in speed-- about 15-18 knots. Even though it's uncomfortable, we're making good time, so we stay this course.

Around 4 pm, the wind is out of the Northeast!!! This was NOT in the weather prediction. The seas continue to build-- now 6-8 ft. With a 3 ft. Chop on top of the swells. YUCK!!! As if this isn't unpleasant enough, the damn reefing line broke-- Robert's out front in this mess, putting in our second (now only) reef, and I'm at the helm. It's times like this that I wonder why we do this!!!

With a reef successfully in, we trudge on.

Next, the dinghy starts to swing back and forth, just like it did on our crossing TO the Bahamas. Robert hoists it as high on the davits as it will go, and ties it off securely.

There will be no dinner tonight-- going down below is treacherous, and I Have numerous bruises in the making just from quick trips to the head. Pretzels and water are what's on the menu tonight!!

Just after dark, the running backstay line tensioner snaps. Son of a B!!!!! Ever the Boy Scout, Robert replaces that line too, and gets it re-tensioned. We're getting pretty darn frustrated at this point. Robert is cussing like a sailor/I'm praying like crazy for this shit to calm down. UGH!!

The seas are nasty all night long, we're slammin' and Bangin' like crazy. Very little sleep for either of us tonight. Trying to sleep in the cockpit on a bucking bronco is challenging.

Finally, around 5 am, we make it to the Beaufort Inlet. WHEW!!!! What a ride!!!

At sun-up, I mix Robert a breakfast cocktail. I have coffee. We're enjoying our respite, when along comes a big sport fisher, heading out to sea--- he rocks our world, tossing over Robert's vodka and cranberry cocktail. We've about had enough of this shit!!

By 8 am, the traffic in the Adams Creek Canal is quiet. I clean up the spilled cocktail--- red juice on white fiberglass AIN'T pretty!! Robert catches a quick nap while I man the helm.

After his nap, Robert and I enjoy a breakfast of sausage, egg casserole and toast.

Maggie goes on a walkabout and takes a much needed potty break on the trampoline.

It seems really nice to slow the pace. We meander to the Neuse River--- it's flat calm today!!!

By the time we reach the Pamlico, the winds have picked up, and the sky is getting dark--- the radar shows heavy rains all around us.

We arrive Bath Creek around 2 pm. Our friend David Johnston is once again graciously allowing us to stay at his dock. He's waiting on the dock, and catches our lines. Thanks David!!!!

Just a we are getting the last line on, the rains come. David heads back to his house before he gets soaked, and we sit in the cockpit listening to the cool, steady rain.

We have a snack, and of course, a cocktail!!!!

Once the rain clears, we take Maggie for a walk. She's so happy to be on land. She pees, poops, sniffs, runs in circles; then repeats!!!!

We visit with David for a bit, then make a stop to visit Teeny . We catch up on all the "happenings" in Bath, then return to SeaQuell for dinner. Dinner tonight is Mexican Beef Casserole--- the last of the dishes I had prepared and frozen prior to our trip.

We're fading fast, so we both take a hot shower and hit the sack.

We drift off to sleep with very thankful, happy hearts. Once again, we've enjoyed a wonderful vacation, shared with family and friends. We survived our longest offshore passage ever, and are fortunate to be able to share the story. As I tell Maggie often--- It 's not easy being a Nordstrom girl, but it sure is exciting!!!

Thanks to all who follow along with us on SPOT, and those who follow our blog. GoodNight All!!!!!
Comments
Vessel Name: SeaQuell
Vessel Make/Model: Manta 40
Hailing Port: Bath, NC
Crew: Captain Robert, Admiral Becky & Maggie the Wonder Dog!
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/whyknotnow
Social:

Who are we?

Who: Captain Robert, Admiral Becky & Maggie the Wonder Dog!
Port: Bath, NC