Wild Song

from the UK to the south Atlantic Ocean

01 August 2013
26 May 2013
24 May 2013
23 May 2013
23 May 2013 | The Continental Shelf!
17 May 2013
14 May 2013
10 May 2013
08 May 2013
08 May 2013
07 May 2013
05 May 2013
03 May 2013
30 April 2013

A good tip

04 June 2011 | home
PH
Well I think it's a good tip, anyway. You can now buy a vacuum packing machine for around a hundred quid,vac pack stuff like bread mix, flour, teabags etc and be certain they'll stay dry and at the same time extend the shelf life.I suppose you could even vac-pack a pair of socks for those dreaded moments when all you need is something dry on your feet. I'm not certain what the wattage is, I'll check, but I'm pretty confident that it will run off the 1.5kw inverter and be pretty useful when it comes to packing fresh food when about to leave on a long passage. Another advantage, of course, is that the food/teabags/whatever take up far less space and by splitting dry goods into smaller parcels there's much less chance of them being spoiled if water does get below. Incidentally, it's amazing how much packaging I've removed, and how small the resulting pile of food is compared with the load I started with.
I'm afraid we keep inventing ways of making life on a boat ever more complicated, and we should really shun such things in favour of a simple life. Last night, I was reading Tilman's 'Mischief goes South' - tough trip, but executed as simply as could be.We have too many comforts too easily available. But who's to say Tilman wouldn't have snapped up a vac-packer if they'd been around in his day.
I think I'm at that stage where I need to stop fussing, start breathing deeply, and get some clarity about this project. At the moment the head is swimming, there again I've just spent a day configuring a new laptop, mail programme, as well as getting to grips with posting this blog via a satellite phone. Tilman didn't know what fun he was missing. I'm going for a lie down.
Vessel Name: Wild Song
Vessel Make/Model: Victoria 38
Hailing Port: Falmouth UK
Crew: Paul and Libby Heiney
About:
Paul Heiney and Libby Purves are writers and broadcasters in the UK, are married, and have sailed together for over 30 years. Libby is also a monthly columnist for 'Yachting Monthly' magazine. [...]
Extra:
Both Paul and Libby have written about their sailing adventures. 'One Summer's Grace' is Libby's best-selling account of their voyage round Britain with their, then, two small children. Paul wrote of his solo transatlantic experiences in 'The Last Man Across the Atlantic'. The clue's in the [...]
Wild Song's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 4 June 2011
Site Meter