Wild Song

from the UK to the south Atlantic Ocean

01 August 2013
26 May 2013
24 May 2013
23 May 2013
23 May 2013 | The Continental Shelf!
17 May 2013
14 May 2013
10 May 2013
08 May 2013
08 May 2013
07 May 2013
05 May 2013
03 May 2013
30 April 2013

Amongst the Penguins

08 October 2012
A miserable night spent crossing the Golfo San Jorge in a NE near gale almost eclipsed the sheer joy of the anchorage we had just left. For my money these were anchorages of a lifetime. The Leones islands are about halfway down the length of Argentina, isolated, uninhabited, made of a kind of sandy rock that readily falls to dust. And behind them, on the mainland, is a cleft in the rocks which takes you into an intriguing fjord that is truly awe inspiring. Sheer cliffs form the only safe harbour for many miles; it is a place to truly feel lost to the world. There are no humans here apart from us, and a rich variety of birds gave us suspicious glances as we came in. At night, all is totally silent. No planes fly over here. The only disturbance was due to baby seal who took an interest in our self steering paddle and played with it for much of the night. Then, when we thought it could get no better, we spotted in the pilot book a reference to a penguin colony on a nearby island. We anchored beneath a derelict lighthouse and cautiously went ashore. The penguins didn't seem to mind. Some waddled back to their burrows and peered out at us. Others took us in their stride and stared us out. One allowed me within a couple of feet before dismissing me with a flick of his flipper and waddling off towards the sea. Yet another magic spot, in only 24 hours. We are now just north of Puerto Deseado, the last harbour before the Beagle Channel 400 miles away. We shall not stop - no need. A bit of a blow expected in the next 24 hours but we are well prepared.
Vessel Name: Wild Song
Vessel Make/Model: Victoria 38
Hailing Port: Falmouth UK
Crew: Paul and Libby Heiney
About:
Paul Heiney and Libby Purves are writers and broadcasters in the UK, are married, and have sailed together for over 30 years. Libby is also a monthly columnist for 'Yachting Monthly' magazine. [...]
Extra:
Both Paul and Libby have written about their sailing adventures. 'One Summer's Grace' is Libby's best-selling account of their voyage round Britain with their, then, two small children. Paul wrote of his solo transatlantic experiences in 'The Last Man Across the Atlantic'. The clue's in the [...]
Wild Song's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 4 June 2011
Site Meter