Wild Song

from the UK to the south Atlantic Ocean

01 August 2013
26 May 2013
24 May 2013
23 May 2013
23 May 2013 | The Continental Shelf!
17 May 2013
14 May 2013
10 May 2013
08 May 2013
08 May 2013
07 May 2013
05 May 2013
03 May 2013
30 April 2013

The Best Yacht Club in the World?

27 October 2012
The 'Micalvi' is a legend amongst sailors in these waters, but I never expected it to live up to its pre-publicity. But it is the most welcoming and enchanting place I had ever taken a boat. For a start, the shelter in bomb-proof. Winds of hurricane strength could not disturb this cove making it the only such place for many miles. The views of distant peaks are spectacular.The bar opens at nine every evening. The wood stove roars and the burgess and flags hang from the walls and ceilings and tell their own stories. For what is no more, really, than a sunken old coaster, it is a magic place. This morning, with a team of international helpers, I moved the boat into a place where she will be undisturbed till January. Remember, this is a busy place and the big charter yachts off to Antarctica must come here to enter Chilean waters. I expect when I return it will be like a circus. There is a great guy called Dennis (Swiss) who takes care of boats, and will tend the lines and fenders etc. He knows everything, everybody, and his advice is gold dust. He also grows strawberries in the least hospitable climate imaginable. It was driving snow yesterday, the Refleks heater roaring all day, venturing outside was only for the brave. Today the sun shone, the sun was warm, the wind did not blow - a completely different place. For a small town of less than 2000 people, Puerto Williams does well. The supermarket is dimly lit, but if you search you will everything for a basic living. We (Andreas and I) went out to the only restaurant last night. We asked for the menu and the girl (thrilled to meet someone from England) handed one over and then said, ' but there's only pizza.'
You can only expect so much from the southernmost little town in the world.
Vessel Name: Wild Song
Vessel Make/Model: Victoria 38
Hailing Port: Falmouth UK
Crew: Paul and Libby Heiney
About:
Paul Heiney and Libby Purves are writers and broadcasters in the UK, are married, and have sailed together for over 30 years. Libby is also a monthly columnist for 'Yachting Monthly' magazine. [...]
Extra:
Both Paul and Libby have written about their sailing adventures. 'One Summer's Grace' is Libby's best-selling account of their voyage round Britain with their, then, two small children. Paul wrote of his solo transatlantic experiences in 'The Last Man Across the Atlantic'. The clue's in the [...]
Wild Song's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 4 June 2011
Site Meter