Wild Song

from the UK to the south Atlantic Ocean

01 August 2013
26 May 2013
24 May 2013
23 May 2013
23 May 2013 | The Continental Shelf!
17 May 2013
14 May 2013
10 May 2013
08 May 2013
08 May 2013
07 May 2013
05 May 2013
03 May 2013
30 April 2013

Ice!

18 January 2013
I knew it was going to be a good day when it started with a fried egg on toast, thanks to Malcolme who as well as chief engineer is now breakfast chef. (Mike and I save ourselves for the evening feast).It had been a pretty exciting evening before too, as we edged our way backwards into the tiniest little hole into which I have ever taken a boat. We found it in Bahia Romanche on the northern coast of Isla Gordon. Less wide than we are long with a vertical cliff face on one side and steep wooded slopes on the other two - a real shoebox of a snug anchorage. Needless to say, when things are at their most complex is when things go wrong, and with no sense of the precision required to get the boat into just the right spot the anchor chain jammed a fraction after I had given the shout to drop it. Ho Hum. Then it was a case of urgent lines ashore, two from the stern and another from the bow, and we were so secure a hurricane would not get us - in fact, the weather so far could have been far worse: we have seen no sun, and only a little rain, but neither have we been blasted to bits which is the habit of the wind round here. So after the fried eggs it was time for Mike to row out to the trees to which our lines were attached, get them back on board and coiled down, and then back into the Beagle, heading north westwards to Seno Pia. It just so happened that the wind was strongly in the northwest but we are getting used to that. So, another stiff and wet beat, much tea and cake consumed and many Cup-a-Soups for which Mike has an unfailing appetite. He said he liked his sailing rough, and meant it. Malcolme was chuckling to himself, a broad grin on his face. 'I'm really sailing the Beagle Channel'.Then he would sing a bit. Entry to Seno Pia involves rounding the uncertain end of an old glacial moraine, but no problems. And exiting as we entered was the wicked-looking 'ParatyII', famous ship of Brazilian single-hander Amyr Klink. It looked so tough it was almost military, a bit scary. We headed north, expecting our first glacier having been tempted by distant glimpses of them as we headed north. Then, looking ahead, we saw something floating in the water. 'A white carrier bag,' we joked. It soon resolved itself into our first piece of ice.
Vessel Name: Wild Song
Vessel Make/Model: Victoria 38
Hailing Port: Falmouth UK
Crew: Paul and Libby Heiney
About:
Paul Heiney and Libby Purves are writers and broadcasters in the UK, are married, and have sailed together for over 30 years. Libby is also a monthly columnist for 'Yachting Monthly' magazine. [...]
Extra:
Both Paul and Libby have written about their sailing adventures. 'One Summer's Grace' is Libby's best-selling account of their voyage round Britain with their, then, two small children. Paul wrote of his solo transatlantic experiences in 'The Last Man Across the Atlantic'. The clue's in the [...]
Wild Song's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 4 June 2011
Site Meter