Wild Song

from the UK to the south Atlantic Ocean

01 August 2013
26 May 2013
24 May 2013
23 May 2013
23 May 2013 | The Continental Shelf!
17 May 2013
14 May 2013
10 May 2013
08 May 2013
08 May 2013
07 May 2013
05 May 2013
03 May 2013
30 April 2013

things getting lost

15 February 2013
Somehow, a post seems to have got lost, so here it is. A perfect day to be sailing north across the River Plate. Piriapolis, our destination, now less than 40 miles away. In terms of contrasts this has been one of the most remarkable passages I have done. We started in the majestic landscape of the Beagle Channel and the wild waters around Tierra Del Fuego which, over a week became more benign until this morning when we are in hot sun, blue water and a gentle breeze pushing us on course at five lovely knots having suffered a couple of gales to get here. We have seen no land since leaving the Beagle, and the only sea life has been a daily visit by dolphins. But in the last few days, as we closed the Argentine coast, we have been visited by butterflies, moths and giant dragonflies. The sailing has been tough at times with the two gales sufficient to make us heave to, and one depressing day when a combination of headwinds and adverse current gave us a mere one mile towards our destination. If you want to know the statistics: in 15 days we have sailed 1633 miles which gives us 108 miles per day, and of those miles 84 were made good to the destination. On board life has been bumpy at times with much strength and agility needed to get from cockpit to bunk, but my excellent crew have never complained. The bread has run out, the fruit is gone, and last night we had the last of the cabbage with the required Fray Bentos pie (steak and kidney) Magic!For breakfast this morning we had toasted pannetone which, for some reason, I found in a tiny shop back in Puerto Williams. We shall be too late tonight for the much anticipated steak and chips but I will give a full report in due course. This is where Mike and Malcolme will leave and my 5,000 miles solo voyage back to the UK begins, but not for several days yet.
Vessel Name: Wild Song
Vessel Make/Model: Victoria 38
Hailing Port: Falmouth UK
Crew: Paul and Libby Heiney
About:
Paul Heiney and Libby Purves are writers and broadcasters in the UK, are married, and have sailed together for over 30 years. Libby is also a monthly columnist for 'Yachting Monthly' magazine. [...]
Extra:
Both Paul and Libby have written about their sailing adventures. 'One Summer's Grace' is Libby's best-selling account of their voyage round Britain with their, then, two small children. Paul wrote of his solo transatlantic experiences in 'The Last Man Across the Atlantic'. The clue's in the [...]
Wild Song's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 4 June 2011
Site Meter